• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We MUST resign Josh Smith this year.

AtLaS

If that crap really happens and we really can't strap up enough money to resign a great up and coming player who is only 21, then I'll just have to stop following the team for a few years.

Yeah BK says the X and Y thing, but I bet our X is about 4-5 million a year, something COMPLETELY proposterous.. everytime I read something about our ownership I get pissed off..

Quote:

Quote:

I know that but what I'm saying is if he becomes a RFA some team will offer him a HUGE deal that our ownership may not want to match.

The reality is that RFA's don't get offers very often. The following players got no offers from other teams when they became RFAs

Gooden

Wilcox

Daly

Chandler

Plus there has to be a team that needs a forward and is far enough under the cap that they can actually make a big offer.

Harrington was unrestricted yet he got no offers from teams under the cap.

Smith is arguably already better then all those guys, and has more upside. Somebody will be tempted to give him a max contract given how he is playing right now.

If the ownership mess does result in Josh Smith getting away then I am done as a Hawks fan.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know that but what I'm saying is if he becomes a RFA some team will offer him a HUGE deal that our ownership may not want to match.

The reality is that RFA's don't get offers very often. The following players got no offers from other teams when they became RFAs

Gooden

Wilcox

Daly

Chandler

Plus there has to be a team that needs a forward and is far enough under the cap that they can actually make a big offer.

Harrington was unrestricted yet he got no offers from teams under the cap.

Smith is arguably already better then all those guys, and has more upside. Somebody will be tempted to give him a max contract given how he is playing right now.

If the ownership mess does result in Josh Smith getting away then I am done as a Hawks fan.

Do you really think they would be that dumb?

Remember that Josh Childress comes up for renewal the same time. They could simply let childress walk instead.

Lue and Blo come off the books at the same time.

And rookie contracts are have options on years 3 and 4. They could simply decline the option on Shelden if they got desparate.

Remember that they have to have at least $35 million in salaries.

Smith isn't going anywhere.