• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chill's Problem is Consistency

TexasPete

That is a major reason why he isn't nearly as good as Deng or Iggy. Chill teases one night with a 23 point, 14 rebound game, and the next night goes for 6 and 3. I think he is by far the most overrated Hawk and its only been recently where people have have started looking closer at him.

Deng brings it almost every night. When many look at Chill they see the 20 point games and think he is in the same league as Deng or Iggy. The simple fact is that Chill doesn't show up about half the time. Literally, in half of the games he is virtually invisible. And in one of every 6 or 7 games he has a great game. But, Chill is at the age where these un even performances should be a thing of the past. Its funny that Marvin, all of 20 years of age, gets a lot more crap about inconsistency than Chill, who gets a free pass most nights.

Because of Chill's flawed shot and lack of any way to create his own offense, he will never be more than a decent bench player. I think what you see now with Chill is what you get. I haven't seen a lot of growth in his game. Smoove, on the other hand, is growing by leaps and bounds. Smoove's games where he disappears are becoming less and less. Chill looks the same as last year.

We all know we need a REAL PG. Speedy is not the answer. Chill is young enough to fetch a decent PG. I would move him in a second for a Jarrett Jack type. Jack has more upside...I doubt the Blazers would do that deal but the Hawks need a PG to grow with and Chill needs to be the bait.

Is Chill a nice guy? Yes. Is he a good teammate? Yes. Does the board like him? Yes. Is Deng better? Hell yes. I would stop confusing liking the guy with being a top 6 pick. Because he isn't. Lets use him while others have a higher perceived value to get what we really need.

I don't think it's that JC doesn't "bring it" every night...I don't question his effort at all. It's just that a solid switching defense that works can prevent him from having enough room to get his perimeter shot off. Then (like last night) he's a one-dimensional drive only player on offense. Since the Jazz also plays good help defense inside he's pretty much out of luck.

But he works and rebounds great for a guy his size.

The way I see it is that Josh Smith is showing he's indespensible. He's been playing power forward, but a lot of his game is still perimeter oriented. He is a lock as a forward, and could play alongside either a true SF or a true PF.

Marvin and Childress are still overlapping each other. I think each of them has a place as a Hawk, but not at the same time. I think Childress would be more effective and consistent as a starter. I think Marvin's only going to get better each year until his mid 20s.

One of them should still be dealt for a big or a PG if we can do it. And I love em both, but it's the smart thing to do. My guess is that Chill would go long ebfore they sent Marvin packing.

It is his passive mentality that holds him back as much as anything. Some nights he decides to be aggressive and some he chooses to blend in the woodwork. He doesn't have the killer inctinct mentality...too bad, that is what he needs.

He certainly hasn't grown much as a player. I see upside with Marvin. That dunk last night was filthy. Marvin also can do other things offensively. There is a big difference in age between the two...lets use him to fill a huge need.

I would also guess that either Etan Thomas or Brendan Haywood would be available maybe for a discount. These two guys can't stop fighting...I'm not saying Chill for them but what if we put together another package for one of them?

I disagree with your assessment of Childress being inconsistent. I think he's one of the most consistent Hawks. At times I wish he was a little more aggressive taking the ball to the hoop, but he does attack the basket more than any other Hawk. I think the problem is that you see Josh Smith improving by leaps and bounds, and you don't see the same thing out of Childress. Well guess what, Childress isn't going to grow by leaps and bounds. The guy was a polished college player when we got him, and he's already close to as good as he's going to get. Which is pretty good. He'll have a long career as a starter or 6th man in the NBA. I've got nothing against the idea of trading him for a higher need position like PG, but I don't think any other NBA teams will be misled into believing he has significantly more upside than he has. His trade value is very good (good player, cheap contract) but it's limited by his limited upside.

Yup, Chillz stats are inconsistent but his play is consistent. He always brings energy and solid basketball. I sorta agree that Iguodala and Deng are better but it all depends on what a team needs. Without even looking I'd assume all have similar per minute stats on rebounds, assists, to's, with Chillz leading if anything. The difference is Chillz takes way less shots per min. If you need points you dont want Chillz, if you already have a few primary scorers, you may prefer Chillz. You sorta figure if Chillz shot more he'd take poorer shots which would bring his field goal efficiency down, but I'm not sure that would happen unless he had to be like JJ and really put it up alot.

On the redunancy issue, yup, we have too many forwards. We have to get a better center, hopefully if one comes available it'll be from a team that covets a team player like Chillz and doesnt need a scorer.

Quote:

Chill teases one night with a 23 point, 14 rebound game, and the next night goes for 6 and 3. I think he is by far the most overrated Hawk and its only been recently where people have have started looking closer at him.

That comment is applicable to Smith, Childress, Marvin, Sheldon, Pachulia and yes, even the great Joe Johnson. All of them have their bad nights. JJ is starting to have them much more frequently (I'm sure as a result of playing so many minutes.)

One player we can count on though is Lo Wright. Consistently bad and unproductive.

I will admit that over the last month or so that Josh Smith has become more consistent, but he still stinks up the joint on a fairly regular basis. Smith is inconsistent, but I don't hear you whining about that. For example, last night he shot 3-12, scored 10 pts and grabbed 6 boards. That won't get you in the all-star game.

Maybe you should try for a little consistency.

I agree with you guys 100%....Im just going to be frank..JC is not aggressive enough and we need that out of him night in and night out...as of right now Josh Smith is our second best player but JC should have been step up because he had a couple of years in college. JC and Marvin both need to be more aggressive in my opinoin.

Quote:

Almost watery, you know? Why not make a good thick sauce? Maybe the wing sauce is thicker, I've never had it. But I love the taste, and then I have to doctor it up to make it thicker, and it loses some of that distinct flavor.

I don't just doctor up Texas Pete for my wings, I drzachary it up. Texas Pete's wing sauce is just TP+butter, basically. I cook down some shallots, garlic, balsamic vinegar and herbs, then add the TP/butter/etc.

Quote:

That's some heavy duty cooking for wings and such.. I mean, the only time I use Shallots and balsamic vineger is when I'm trying to be impressive with some beef.

my wings:

1 cut up fresh wings (reserve tips for stock)

2 let air dry on a rack for 30 minutes (increases crispiness)

3 rub wings with cumin, powdered chilis, sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, etc (my special spice mix)

4 dust with flour, shake off excess

5 fry til done (peanut oil)

6 toss in sauce, serve with homemade blue cheese and ranch

the sauce is as i indicated above.. now you know how wings should be DONE!

Iman, lets gets serious. You say you "sorta" agree that Deng/Iggy are better than Childress. This board suffers from time to time from SEVERE HOMER SYNDROME. It doesn't depend on what a team "needs" in the case of Deng and Childress. They play the same position basically although Deng may bulk up and go to the PF spot in a year or two. What this team "needed" when we drafted was the BETTER PLAYER. That is what we needed then...and we could use NOW. The Deng vs. Chill comparison is ludicrous. You can compare them in your mind if you want, but the fact is Deng is hugely better and its only close in the minds of those who have SEVERE HOMER SYNDROME. I went back 10 games and looked at Deng vs. Chill...that is sufficient to tell this sad tale. I'm not sure that all the Chill homers realize Chill suffers from comparison, these are points and rebounds comparisons:

Chill Deng

11/4 18/5

2/8 21/9

23/8 12/14

11/8 17/9

9/2 14/10

11/8 23/6

9/9 20/10

19/5 23/9

13/8 23/9

8/3 29/12

BTW, Deng outrebounded Chilldress by quite a few in the last 10 games. The previous 10 were just as compelling. Deng plays every night, Chill plays and produces occasionally. There is no comparison. Can we please stop playing this "But, Chill is a glue guy" crap? Give me Deng's effort and numbers every night. You want glue? Dengs numbers are full of the glue.

Bottom line: BK blew this pick. It was once up for debate. It is NO LONGER DEBATABLE. Did I mention Deng is a full TWO years younger? For all the crap about Marvin and the PG's (justified) why is this obvious situation ignored by so many? Chill is 3 years older than Marvin and there numbers are not significantly different. All I know is a Deng and Josh Smith frontcourt (JJ and Roy) would be a threat to win the East. Childress is not in Deng's league any longer. If anyone thinks there is ANY comparison to be made between these guys they are a homer. pillepalle.gif

• Premium Member

BK thought that Chill and JJ were going to be the backcourt of the Hawk's future. As it is, these guys need a playmaker in the worst way.

Chill is decent at spotting up and cutting...but what good is that if the offense is either looking for JJ or JJ looking for Smoove/Marvin...while everybody takes as many bad jumpers as they want?

But at the same time, that's what JJ was brought here for and since he isn't running our offense, then that leaves Chill as a bench spark, cleanup garbageman, and 5th option. I don't fault BK for signing JJ, but bringing in Marvin and JJ really limits Chill's role.

I don't think he's a bench player as much as other players have benched him.

Ultimately though, Chill's strongest point is what limits him. He is simply too much of a team player and is far to unselfish. Then again so was another player that we could find no use for here... doh.gif

I agree that maybe he and Salim could be put together to fetch a decent package...but when we do, mark my words, Chill will pull a Diaw and blow up. And the world will once again dog BK for making the deal and Woody for not being able to get that level of production from Chill while he was in Atl. saythat.gif