• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

About this "giving PHX a pick" business

CBAreject

I don't know why this is still a discussion. I just don't understand why people still care "what pick we give Phoenix". What's most absurd is that the prospect of "giving Phoenix a 4-7 pick" is what is motivating some of you to not tank.

There are 2 franchise players in this draft, and it's clear we should be tanking our asses off. These guys are a chance at becoming a contender, yet you guys would rather resign yourselves to mediocrity just to ensure we don't help Phoenix out too much.

This is like refusing to break-up with a girlfriend you hate because you don't want your brother to date her.

Dump the b-tch and shoot for that hot girl across the room! She might reject you, but at least you have a shot at the promised land. Why are you expending your energy keeping your brother from being happy?

Quote:

I agree - let's keep the focus on
our
success.

I'm curious, though - if we land Durant, what becomes of Marvin? Do you think he has legit value for a big or PG?

You keep both. At some point some team will want Marvin and we get a first and a needed backup. Or send Marvin and Shelden to Seattle for Wilcox and a 2nd round pick.

Quote:

And you've also made that point about what pick we give PHX about 100 times.

Yet people keep saying the same stuff. "What if we give PHX the 4th pick....Waaaaah."

It's funny that you accuse me of being repetitive, yet you have been just as much. Every post I make, you respond with "but tanking doesn't guarantee anything. they will ask to be traded. waaaah." As if we are guaranteed something with our current roster. As if our players are going to be happier with 29 wins than with 26.

I respond logically to each of your points, yet you restate them as if you hadn't read my replies. "But you guys don't realize tanking doesn't guarantee anything."

ONE LAST TIME: We are screwed. Tanking gives us a fair chance at getting out of this mess. It's a CHANCE. Yes, it might not come through, but at least it's a CHANCE. EVERYONE acknowledges this "chance" (despite your insistance that we don't).

If we tank and fail to get a pick, we are still screwed. We don't have as much to lose here as you think.

When you are trying to dismantle a bomb and there are 2 wires to cut, you freaking pick one and cut the bastard. If you just sit there and wait, hoping to save face, you're going to blow up for sure.

Quote:

Quote:

our
success.

I'm curious, though - if we land Durant, what becomes of Marvin? Do you think he has legit value for a big or PG?

You keep both. At some point some team will want Marvin and we get a first and a needed backup. Or send Marvin and Shelden to Seattle for Wilcox and a 2nd round pick.

Keep both?? Our lineup will look like this

Still no PG

JJ/Chill

Durant/Marvin/Chill/Smoove

Smoove/Marvin/Durant/Shelden/Solomon

Still no center.

or something like that. We have to trade Marvin, since he's our most valuable player outside Smith and JJ, and would be Durant. Marvin, Shelden, Zaza/Childress and possibly a future 1st could get us something decent.

Quote:

Or send Marvin and Shelden to Seattle for Wilcox and a 2nd round pick.

What??

You must be joking right!

Shelden = Wilcox

Marvin > 2nd rnd pick.

This is Wilcox's 5th nba season and he is averagin 12 and 7 in 32 minutes.

Shelden in his rookie year can average 12 and 7 with those minutes.

Marvin for a second round pick is just flat out stupid. banghead.gif

Quote:

Every post I make, you respond with "but tanking doesn't guarantee anything. they will ask to be traded. waaaah."

That's because you wanted to tank with 40 and 50 games left, and at that time, yes, it was absurd. And yes, the players are not going to accept a reduction in minutes with more than half of the season remaining, in order to increase their "chances" of getting a top 3 pick when nothing is guaranteed and we are only 4 games out of the playoffs.

At this time I can accept tanking, and the players can also, because there isn't realistically enough games left to make a run at the playoffs.

Quote:

...At this time I can accept tanking, and the players can also...

Well the players can't do anything about it - when they're playing they gotta play hard to protect their jobs - when they're on the bench they can do nothing.

Imagine if we do get lucky in the lottery and we are alive for the last two picks on the selection show. Zaza will be crossing his fingers and saying a prayer that we get the second pick (Durant)...while Marvin will rubbing his rabbit's foot hard for the first (Oden). bunny3.gif

(nobody likes to lose their job)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

our
success.

Keep both?? Our lineup will look like this

Still no PG

JJ/Chill

Durant/Marvin/Chill/Smoove

Smoove/Marvin/Durant/Shelden/Solomon

Still no center.

or something like that. We have to trade Marvin, since he's our most valuable player outside Smith and JJ, and would be Durant. Marvin, Shelden, Zaza/Childress and possibly a future 1st could get us something decent.

I thought it was understood the Indy pick is a point. cool.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Or send Marvin and Shelden to Seattle for Wilcox and a 2nd round pick.

What??

You must be joking right!

Shelden = Wilcox

Marvin > 2nd rnd pick.

This is Wilcox's 5th nba season and he is averagin 12 and 7 in 32 minutes.

Shelden in his rookie year can average 12 and 7 with those minutes.

Marvin for a second round pick is just flat out stupid. banghead.gif

My bad make it a 1st round pick.

Giving Phoenix a high pick has ZERO to do with not wanting to tank.

It has everything to do with it lessening the chances of your young nuclues re-signing if this team doesn't seem headed in the right direction.

Why would Josh Smith re-sign with a loser?

Why would Childress re-sign with a loser?

Why would a FA come here?

We have to keep making progress like we did the last two years so we keep having something to build off of.

YOu can't just go from 13 win season to 50 win season. There is a middle ground where you are fringe playoff team. Right now we are a fringe playoff team. That's pretty dang good considering we are the youngest team in the NBA.

But you impatient short sighted people can't stand it. You want the playoffs, and you want it now.

So you're willing to take the 5% chance we have at landing Greg Oden and risking the HUGE chance that our nucleus wouldn't stay together on a losing team.