• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brandon Wright going pro....good news for us

capstone21

• Moderators

Quote:

I am a UNC fan so its not good from the Tar Heels perspective but for the Hawks it is great news.

What this means is that it is another chance to push Conely back one position and hopfully make him available at 11.

Yep. And more value if we try to trade the third pick.

I'd say Brandon Wright is the next Marvin actually. I'm not saying Wright won't be good, but at this point he's essentially living off hype and he played in a very limited role similar to Marvin. But all the scouts see is the athletic potential that he has, it's a smart move to go pro as he could be a big letdown if he takes on a leadership role..

Quote:

I'd say Brandon Wright is the next Marvin actually. I'm not saying Wright won't be good, but at this point he's essentially living off hype and he played in a very limited role similar to Marvin. But all the scouts see is the athletic potential that he has, it's a smart move to go pro as he could be a big letdown if he takes on a leadership role..

russian.gif

you got to be kidding me, those two aren't in the same league, Marvin couldn't start over Jawad Williams, Wright basically held the ship together at UNC, he is a lot better then you saw at UNC.

Wright has slightly better stats, but their roles are extremely similar. Both were on a very good team, in a VERY limited role, and basically scored off assists from other players. At this point, Wright can't create for himself, he pretty much scored exclusively on dunks and putbacks.

Not to mention he's a rail-thin 205 pounds. He is essentially Tyrus Thomas, which is a great comparison IMO.

Quote:

Wright has slightly better stats, but their roles are extremely similar. Both were on a very good team, in a VERY limited role, and basically scored off assists from other players. At this point, Wright can't create for himself, he pretty much scored exclusively on dunks and putbacks.

Not to mention he's a rail-thin 205 pounds. He is essentially Tyrus Thomas, which is a great comparison IMO.

He did create offense for himself, I seen it quite often, most forwards don't look like it becuase the college game is very different. He was aggrestive which most guys at his height isn't. Marvin doesn't have many major skills, Wright does. There totally different. One can be good, one can be great. Big difference.

Tyrus and him are no where near comparable... like I said before, he like KG, alot like KG at the same stage, you past him and up and the Hawks need to sell the franchise. ASAP ...

Quote:

Tyrus and him are no where near comparable...

They are both athletic, 6'9 players that block shots and don't have much of an offensive game. They are both skinny as a rail, ACTUALLY Tyrus is 10 lbs heavier than Wright. That's saying something because Tyrus is a toothpick. They were both freshman. They are very comparable..

Tyrus stats: 12.3 ppg, 9.2 rebounds, 3.1 blocks in 25.9 minutes.

Wright: 14.7 ppg, 6.2 rebounds, 1.8 blocks in 27.4 minutes.

Tyrus is clearly the better rebounder and shotblocker, and played LESS minutes than Wright.

Quote:

like I said before, he like KG, alot like KG at the same stage, you past him and up and the Hawks need to sell the franchise. ASAP ...

lol at comparing a freshman (who relied heavily on his teammates) to a 1st ballot hall of famer, Two can play that game. You heard it here first, Marvin will be the next Jordan!!

Quote:

Quote:

Tyrus and him are no where near comparable...

They are both athletic, 6'9 players that block shots and don't have much of an offensive game. They are both skinny as a rail, ACTUALLY Tyrus is 10 lbs heavier than Wright. That's saying something because Tyrus is a toothpick. They were both freshman. They are very comparable..

Tyrus stats: 12.3 ppg, 9.2 rebounds, 3.1 blocks in 25.9 minutes.

Wright: 14.7 ppg, 6.2 rebounds, 1.8 blocks in 27.4 minutes.

Tyrus is clearly the better rebounder and shotblocker, and played LESS minutes than Wright.

Quote:

like I said before, he like KG, alot like KG at the same stage, you past him and up and the Hawks need to sell the franchise. ASAP ...

lol at comparing a freshman (who relied heavily on his teammates) to a 1st ballot hall of famer, Two can play that game. You heard it here first, Marvin will be the next Jordan!!

Wright has post skills, Wright doesn't reilly on atlectcism 99% of the time like Tyrus. Wright played for a different team were his job.... wait a minute, why I'm I wasting my time. this is dumb I know both players well and they aren't comparable.

Quote:

Both were on a very good team, in a VERY limited role, and basically scored off assists from other players. At this point, Wright can't create for himself, he pretty much scored exclusively on dunks and putbacks.

I don't think Wright is worthy of the #3 pick, but this is way off base. Wright scored more off his hook shot than anything else, and was as much of a go-to player in the post as Hansbrough was this season, many times carrying the team when Hansbrough was having a weak game.

Wright is a much more skilled low post player than Hansbrough.

He is too skinny and he doesn't have any range, but he and Marvin were in very different situations. Wright was arguably our best player this season, right there with Hansbrough. Wright played on a VERY young team with one scholarship senior, one walk on senior and one junior. He was a guarunteed starter the second he signed his LOI.

Marvin played on a very experineced team with 3 seniors (2 starters and one who had been a starter in previous seasons) and 3 juniors who were flat out stars on the college level, all three first round draft picks and top 10 talents coming out of high school.

As a freshman Marvin showed that he might have been the most talented player on the team, but he was never a go=to player like Wright was. His team didn't need it like this season's team did, and I don't think Marvin was as good as a freshman as Brandan was. Marvin came in as an all around player and played exclusively in the post, using only some of his skills. Brandan came in as a post-only player and played exclusively in the post, using all of his skills.

Very different situations, VERY different kinds of players.

I think Brandan's a steal at #10, but he's a miss at #3.

Horford, Conley, Hibbert, Batum

Horford is just too damn good to pass up,

Conley is the pg we need, waiting on the later pick to see if he's still avaialble is a recipe for disaster. Law is not a good fit.

Hibbert a good halfcourt center, if that's where we going then he's a good pick

Batum, it's BK afterall

Quote:

Horford is just too damn good to pass up,

He is not "too damn good to pass up." He may be good but he's not THAT good. He also played on a great team, and only averaged 13 ppg.. I'd much rather take Conley or Law, who will actually get PT on this team. Where would Horford play? It would just be another duplicate position pick by BK.

I agree, I like Horford a lot, but I don't think he's a slam dunk prospect. If we can move at least 2 guys (maybe 3 would be necessary) out of our current group of 4 young, recently drafted "future starter" forwards to get a star C or PG, then Horford makes plenty of sense. Until then, Conley and Hibbert are the guys I want to go after with the 3rd pick, hopefully trading down a bit.