• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brandan Wright vs Kevin Durant

BusBoyIsBack

I finally figured out why Brandan Wright went from clear cut #2 player in the draft to not even worthy of kissing the feet of Kevin Durant.

The scouts weren't off when they originally assessed Wright, there are two major reasons why Durant had a better year. The second is a byproduct of the first.

The main reason is the talent around them. At North Carolina, Brandan Wright was playing with a team filled of All-Americans from the starting lineup to the bench. So he wasn't asked to do as much. He split tons of opportunities to score and rebound with Tyler Hansborough. So that had a big impact on his numbers. But even still Wright managed to have a solid season.

In 37 games he averaged 14.7 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 1 APG, 1 SPG, and 1.8 BPG

Just sound like decent numbers right?

But the number that caught my eye that made me come to this big idea was his FG%

His FG% was a whopping 64.6 %!

His biggest weakness, FT% was 56.7%

So I said how in the world could he be that efficient at scoring and only manage to score under 15 PPG

Well here's why

Brandan Wright attempted 9.54 field goals per game in his 27 MPG

Kevin Durant by comparison took a whopping 18.4 field goals per game in his 36 MPG. So almost twice as many shots per game in nearly 10 more MPG of PT.

Well shoot no wonder he had better numbers.

Now it makes a helluva lot more sense. Of course Wright couldn't touch Durant's season considering he had 10 less minutes per game and half as many shots.

On the amount of shots Wright took per game, he wouldn't match Durant's scoring total if he shot 100% from the field!

Meanwhile if Wright took as many shots per game as Durant he would have easily matched his offensive productivity.

Of course there is assuming that Wright's FG% wouldn't drop dramatically but still the FGAs explain a whole lot.

Now Im not saying Brandan Wright is still a better prospect than Kevin Durant.

But maybe just maybe, Durant didn't go from behind Wright to 10 times better like some are insinuating.

After all, Wright had the higher efficiency rating and as they say, the numbers don't lie.

Because of the lack of talent around Durant's team, guess what he had TWICE the amount of opportunity.

Because his team wasn't as talented, they shouldered the load on him.

And check out these numbers I found on him:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF are you talking about? Durant was the RUNAWAY CPOY as a freshman. Wright was simply good but not remotely great.

Wright can't shoot a jumper or from the ft line and he is undersized for his position. In contrast Durant is one of the best perimeter shooters i have ever seen as a freshman and he is very tall for a 3.

Wright had a high fg percentage in large part because many of his attempts were dunks created by other players.

Ridiculous thread.

Quote:

WTF are you talking about? Durant was the RUNAWAY CPOY as a freshman. Wright was simply good but not remotely great.

Wright can't shoot a jumper or from the ft line and he is undersized for his position. In contrast Durant is one of the best perimeter shooters i have ever seen as a freshman and he is very tall for a 3.

Wright had a high fg percentage in large part because many of his attempts were dunks created by other players.

Ridiculous thread.

He took nearly 20 shots per game!

And he barely missed 4 minutes of playing time per game,

Are you going to deny that is overwhelmingly more opportunities?

Quote:

Quote:

Ridiculous thread.

And he created those opportunities himself. He was scoring off the dribble most of the time. He wasn't being spoon fed dunks like Wright. If Wright actually had to create for himself he wouldn't be able to do crap because defenders don't have to honor his game outside and he isn't big enough to back people down.

By your logic the only thing that makes Kobe better than Marvin is that he takes more shots.

Many guys would average as much as durant if they had the same amount of shots as him. Wright has basically no offensive game except for a little jump hook with his left hand. Him and durant shouldnt even be in the same category when you put in durants 3 point shooting and ball handling. Comparing those 2 is pretty foolish. Also wright was not doubled team on carolinas team, it was hansbrough being doubled and teams trying to contain lawson. He made mostly junk baskets except for a good inside move here and there.

Quote:

And he created those opportunities himself. He was scoring off the dribble most of the time. He wasn't being spoon fed dunks like Wright. If Wright actually had to create for himself he wouldn't be able to do crap because defenders don't have to honor his game outside and he isn't big enough to back people down.

By your logic the only thing that makes Kobe better than Marvin is that he takes more shots.

No the difference is that he was given those opportunities more because the ball was in his hands more.

It was a lot harder for Wright on that stacked team to get the basketball.

Hell a 1/4 of his points had to come from offensive rebounding.

Quote:

Huh? It was Lawson who created easy opportunities for Wright. I would pick Yi over Wright and Conley over Wright.

So you think it was easier for Wright to get the ball on a team without a defined go to guy than a team where a guy had the ball in his hands practically every possession and was in the game for practically the whole time?

Come on now

Quote:

Quote:

Huh? It was Lawson who created easy opportunities for Wright. I would pick Yi over Wright and Conley over Wright.

So you think it was easier for Wright to get the ball on a team without a defined go to guy than a team where a guy had the ball in his hands practically every possession and was in the game for practically the whole time?

Come on now

The reason Durant had the ball so much is because he was the best player in college basketball. Why does Lebron have the ball more than Gooden?

wrights biggest key this season was roy williams style of play. The uptempo game really helped wright so he could take a dribble and jam it on someone and get easy baskets. He rarely showed a face up game besides maybe doing a little fake and going for a dunk.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ridiculous thread.

No, I don't think you understand what he saying, Wright wasn't far off from Durant was you think, he acutally is near him with alot less hype. Wright has more offensive game then the hook shot, that's just his bread and butter, you really need to watch him, he is just as important to that UNC team as Lawson, now Lawson was better but I think Lawson is one of the best college PG's in recent time, he can be alot better then even Kidd which is scary. Wright is the real deal, no joke.

Quote:

All I am saying is that Durant showed a lot more offensive reportaire than Wright. All Wright did was shoot layups and dunks. But anyways, I much prefer Yi over Wright.

Wright moves weren't stopped that much at all, I couldn't remember a guy who stopped Wright, contain him, maybe but stopped him none. That what really stands out about him.

You have gone from comparing Brandan Wright to "another Marvin Williams" to now Kevin Durant (just with fewer shots).

This is absurd, and I LIKE WRIGHT!

This whole "Wright had fewer shots" argument isn't totally stupid, but...for the most part...it really is stupid. Durant is a RARE talent who can create shots from anywhere on the floor. Wright is not that type of player. His FG% was so high because of his high percentage of catches and dunks. As I said last night (while you were still berating me for wanting Wright over Hibbert), that's still a good thing (takes hands, positioning, timing, etc.), but it's not the same as creating a shot on an isolation or even a double-team.

Wright is good, but dear God he is not Durant.

something.gif