The Yi Situation...

TexasPete

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I'm not a huge Yi fan because I want a PG but after hearing we might take Brandan "the Feather" Wright, I'm better with Yi. If we get a Jack at 11 and a Yi I will not lose sleep.

If Yi is taken though we MUST trade a SF...I would move Chill for Haywood or something like that.

I also wonder if we traded Marvin what we could get.

Dude, I'm gone like 2 days and you seem to be a different person. The thought of drafting a Brandon Wright will do that, I guess. lol!

This was the whole point for those of us in the Yi camp. Draft talent first, position second in this draft and try to make a few moves.

Marvin is the guy that doesn't fit, TP. He's also the guy that might blossom for some other team. He is a very valuable chip. He seems a little bit like a redundancy of Joe. Again, we only have 2 wings... and 3 people that like to stand on them! We need a different dynamic, and Yi can do that. Hopefully, we can aquire needs out of the stockpiled talent. I would not be unhappy if we lost Childress and Marvin. I wouldn't be opposed to trading Yi either, if it made a better team. There were 2 guys in this draft. Everyone else is tradeable.

Quote:

does china really care that much about basketball?

They WORSHIP AMERICA ! They LOVE BASKETBALL ! Especially the younger generation. They get a feeling of national pride like their county won a gold medal when they see Yao play vs. other "mighty" Americans.

They do not want Yi to be a bust and simply want to protect him like we see our youngest child gets extra pampering. They raise their athletes from very young ages to compete and represent their national pride. Therefor their government has a feeling of almost having ownership of Yi. If they give him up they want him to represent their country in the best way possible. In the US., our government couldn't care less about alot of that. Stark contrast in cultures.

Their intentions are pure and good in their eyes.

The concept of free will and individualism is just now coming out in China from the "next generation." Which is also Yi's generation. But guess who control's the government & business, the old generation that values traditional beliefs and national pride and sacrifice for the betterment of their country and not individualism , free will that they see as being selfish and almost evil.

Thanks for the insight coachx. Whilst surely not to the extent that you have, I too have attempted to do business with Chinese entities; and I've experienced some frustrations. For sure the Chinese economic climate and political economy are different than that of the U.S. And whilst dealing with something so different can be frustrating, I have ENORMOUS respect for the leaps that the people and government of that nation have taken over the past 65+ years given several hundred years of efforts by western nations and the Japanese to make and keep them subjects. With more than 1.3 billion people, a history 30 times as long as the US, and not pursuing wars all across the globe, we're hardly in a position to be very judgemental of China. Many in other places on this planet would make similar complaints about our economic climate and political economy (e.g., I have acquaintances from Africa and South America who regularly demonstrate to me how inappropriate and utterly unfair it is that our government - through subsidies to agricultural interests here in the US - acts to undermine/eliminate opportunities that poor farmers in the developing world have to fairly compete with US agricultural products).

The nations and peoples of the planet are different and complex, and there are all sorts of 'interests' competing to persuade us in one direction or another. Often many of us just want to enjoy reading a bit about basketball when we visit without political proclivities finding their way into the prose. Whilst I visit the site often, I generally don't blog (I learn so much more - by reading - than I can contribute). If I were to do so, I suspect it would be somewhat difficult for me to avoid subliminally inserting my political proclivities (and believe me I've got my political proclivities). I'm perhaps a bit too sensitive about what I regard as disparaging remarks towards people and governments who have been victims of machinations of other nations, some of which have allowed us here in the west to enjoy the lives and things we may take for granted, and I apologize to you if I spoke out of turn.

No need to apologise to me. Your right.

My intention is never to put down any societyor individual. If I offended anyone I am very sorry. I have a habit of speaking bluntly at times. I too have respect for the people of China and admire several traits their society has that ours could learn from.

We know the legal problem our owner's have gotten us into here in the USA. They should seek some good international legal advise. We don't need any more days in court then what is already on their schedule or high $$ lawyer fees that could be going to the product on the floor.

Guest Walter

For us to get a private workout with him indicates they at least would like to see him drafted #3, whether it be to play in ATL or elsewhere.

Still don't think Conley is worthy of 3 when Law and/or Critt will be there at 11. Gotta think Yi now that Wright weighs less than I do at 6'.

W

No one said this was a private workout - where are people getting that? On Sekou's blog, if you look for the comments that he posted below his "Cali" entry, he said as much.

Now, at least we're getting an invite - we're not on some dreaded blacklist. If they let us watch, at least we can feel comfortable about the safety of choosing him if that turns out to be BK's choice.

I wonder why we flew the whole org out there though? It's either to create a smokescreen or a true sign that we're really serious about Yi. It's not like BK at all, I wonder if ownership was involved in that? I don't even trust BK's ability to orchestrate a smokescreen at this point. Given Sothron's earlier suggestions, it looks very possible that Yi is the man, if we can't get a big trade to go down.

Your impression about China is biased. I wonder how you can make such a conclustion just based on your several trips to China.

I agree that young people in China are becoming more and more crazy about basketball, in most parts because of Yao. Chinese basketball association realized years ago that sending its players to NBA is beneficial to improving the country's chance of becoming a top national basketball team.

Did you ever study the case of Yao? All Houston rocket did was to pay several millions $$ to the original team where Yao came from as a compensation. This is very normal for European players too.

This is sport issue. Please don't raise to a country or a government issue. Of course, from China basketball association point view, they want Yi to receive best training in NBA. I assume you will agree this is a reasonal request and wish.

I highly recommend you seek some consulting for your business in China.

This reply, though it falls under Tex's post that starts the thread, is not intended at Tex. It's a reply to the entire thread.

What amazes me is that there isn't a single one of you that have posted in this thread that have seen Yi Jianlian play in anything more than a youtube.com highlight reel.

Yet, here we have some of you saying that we have to trade a small forward if we draft Yi. What?

I haven't seen the guy play, but I can easily tell you that Yi Jianlian will play either power forward or center in the NBA. He will not play small forward. Just because he can do things most 7 footers can't do with the basketball does not mean he is a small forward. There isn't a team in the league that is going to put this guy at the small forward position. He's going to play on the inside similar to Dirk and Pau.

Oh, and it's pretty obvious that a couple of you do not realize the kind of value Josh Childress brings to this team. To even think of trading him straight up for a stiff like Brendan Haywood is one of the most ignorant ideas I've ever heard.

I can say it without haven't seen him play because the same stuff was said about Pau Gasol when he came out of Spain in 2001:

Quote:

NBA Comparison: Toni Kukoc

Strengths: Pau is the hope of all the people who like basketball in Spain. Pau is the star of the league. He also said rencently he wants to go to the NBA, but he wants to wait at least until 2002 (in this year he finish his contract with Barcelona), Gasol can play of SG, SF, PF or C, but his natural position is SF. In the paint he lacks strengh and struggles against stronger players. When playing at his true SF position he has no comparison in Europe. He can shoot 2 pointers, can slam (he loves it), can run in the fastbreak, and can play in low and high post. He is a complete player. Has a bright future in the NBA.

-Abel from Spain

Weaknesses: Lack of intensity, dosn't have great speed for a small forward (conditioning can possibly improve this), lack of strength (this can be improved, for sure), Shot selection and shooting are question marks.

First of all, I have to say that the comparisons to Toni Kukoc were completely off base with Pau. Pau has no perimeter skills, a terrible jump shot, and is a horrible free throw shooter. Toni Kukoc had all of those skills.

Second, what position has Pau played in his career? He's played the PF spot, and he has played the C spot despite his defensive weaknesses at those positions. This is another 7 footer that was pigeon holed as a small forward because of either his size or skill level.

People had Dirk Nowitzki as a small forward when he came out as well.

Quote:

Quote:

There isn't a team in the league that is going to put this guy at the small forward position. He's going to play on the inside similar to Dirk and Pau.

From what I know about Yi, I don't know how you could say that. There is no conclusive evidence that shows Yi as a 4 or 5, or even a 3. I don't know how you could say he is a definite 4/5 from what we know about him now. I think it is just as plausible to call him a 3 as it is a 4 or 5.

i just don't see a 7 foot guy being athletic enough to cover a 3 guard...i see him more of 4.. a tall antoine walker 4

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There isn't a team in the league that is going to put this guy at the small forward position. He's going to play on the inside similar to Dirk and Pau.

From what I know about Yi, I don't know how you could say that. There is no conclusive evidence that shows Yi as a 4 or 5, or even a 3. I don't know how you could say he is a definite 4/5 from what we know about him now. I think it is just as plausible to call him a 3 as it is a 4 or 5.

i just don't see a 7 foot guy being athletic enough to cover a 3 guard...i see him more of 4.. a tall antoine walker 4

I implore everyone to look at the footage in the new thread. There is nothing in that footage that says he is a 3.

Quote:

Who cares about Yi's agent.

That guy can kiss BK's ass.

It's not like he can pull out the draft anymore.

If we think he is our guy, we take him.

And he ends up pulling a Fran Vasquez, staying in China to play for two years, where he is a national hero. Yi has options. Of course, maybe Atlanta is on the list of teams his agent is looking to - I have no idea.