• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm curious

mdawg

What is the general opinion on Tim Duncan's place in history? I had this debate with some friends, and I just don't see him as an all time great player. I'm not talking about his team, but him as an individual player. He's not top 10, maybe not top 20 or 30. I just don't see the ability to take over a game and put a team on his back. Could he score the last 25 points of a game? Some guys I would put ahead of him:

Magic

Jordan

Bird

Wilt

Russell

Kareem

Hakeem

Shaq

West

Dr. J

Moses Malone

Karl Malone

Oscar Robertson

and maybe Barkley, Petit, Isiah Thomas, and others. Any thoughts?

as of right now, i say hes a top 20 player in the HISTORY of the game.

This is JUST my opinion, but the guy may go down as the best PF in the history of the game after all is said and done.

He always gets his points/rebounds/blocks quietly throughout the course of the game. but the man wins games. he wins championships.

I would put him above Karl Malone and in the top 10 all time - or possibly just outside in the top 15. It is only because he is not flashy and doesnt have a catchy nick name that he is not recognised as much. He is a winner. Take Duncan away from the Spurs and put even someone like Garnett on the team - do they win the title? I am not so sure. Put anyone on a tier below such as Sheed and they aint winning nothing... The man's got skills. He is one of those guys that will only be fully recognised once he hangs them up and people realise what a hole he leaves behind.

for his career 51% from the field 3.2 apg, 11.9 rpg 2.4 bpg 21.8 ppg and turns it over only 2.8 times a game when he is the focal point. He gets it done.

• Admin

He's top 10 already. He'll be regarded as the best PF ever by the time he retires, at which point he may have 6+ titles, 3-4 league MVP's and 3-4 finals MVP's. That's hardly top 10 right there.

When you say you don't see the ability to put a team on his back, you're admitting that you haven't watched him much. You're going off his stats, and probably only his PPG numbers as if that's what makes a great player.

What, to you, makes Bill Russell a top 5er, but Duncan hardly worthy of of top 20? Is it his 15ppg career average? smile.gif