• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yi JianLian

Christmas_In_Aug

I think playing time will be a big factor. Many newspaper in China mention they want Yi to have sufficient playing time.

To some degree, Chinese basketball association considers NBA both a business partner and a training camp.

There is really not that much politics involved. It is down to business and sports.

Atlanta can be a good fit. First, Atlanta is a large city with decent size of Chinese population. Second, Atlanta hosted Olympic in 1996 and is well-known in China. Third, the economic ties between Atlanta and China has grown recently. I bet you know Mayor and Governor recently led a team to China. And there is a strong possibility that Delta will open a direct flight btwn Atlanta and China.

Hawks really needs something to become exciting.

Very impressive denying entry passes and playing passing lanes. He seems to have the quickness to get around his opponent and make steals, plus ability to get the ball down court.

Like many, I wanted to see how he handled players powering him inside (like the one play). His quickness does allow him to get his hands on lots of balls, though.

Zbo

Quote:

Very impressive denying entry passes and playing passing lanes.

That's the problem. From everything I've seen in that league post defense is standing right behind your man and then going for the steal when the pass goes in, or just letting him catch it then try to not let him score. There is no denying a player his position in the post. Yi is in for a shock in the post in the NBA.

Yi will get abused badly enough by PFs in the post, I can only imagine how easily centers will go right through him. The problem with all these crazy ideas of playing guys out of position to get mismatches is that you get the opposite mismatch on defense.

Quote:

The problem with all these crazy ideas of playing guys out of position to get mismatches is that you get the opposite mismatch on defense.

I know exactly what you mean. Too bad we can't do halfcourt line changes (offense for defense) kinda like hockey.

scratchchin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Very impressive denying entry passes and playing passing lanes.

That's the problem. From everything I've seen in that league post defense is standing right behind your man and then going for the steal when the pass goes in, or just letting him catch it then try to not let him score. There is no denying a player his position in the post. Yi is in for a shock in the post in the NBA.

It is not like he hasn't seen American style of play before, he has plyed the US in international comp and had gone to the Hoops summit for years now.

And why are we expecting Yi to have a complete game as a rookie? We wouldn't expect that from any other prospect.

Quote:

It is not like he hasn't seen American style of play before, he has plyed the US in international comp and had gone to the Hoops summit for years now.

And why are we expecting Yi to have a complete game as a rookie? We wouldn't expect that from any other prospect.

And like I showed in the other thread, when they played without Yao, the US big men hardly missed a single shot. I don't expect Yi to be complete, I'm just saying he won't be able to play as a PF in the post for a while, much less as a center. He will get abused down low. We can't wait 3 years for results. He's a perimeter oriented forward. So if you draft him, you better start trading some of our forwards STAT and get us some help.

We have 2 real problems, PG and C. We have a chance to fix one, PG. If you are going to once again pass on the solution at PG for a potential pick at forward, you better make moves to get us a PG and/or a C. It's like 2004 all over again except we've drafted 2 more forwards between then and now.

We finally have our shot to draft the best PG prospect, and in your plan you want to pass on all 3 and get Jack. He's pretty good, but he doesn't have nearly the potential of Conley.

See we have a fundamental disagreemnent on Conley. Conley is a fast, pass first pg who cant shoot. We already have a fast, pass first pg who cant shoot, in fact his name is Speedy.

My thinking and most of us who are Yi supporters is that there are 3pgs who are great. I mean, if in 2005 we got Paul, Felton or Deron, I don't think we'd be bitching about one or the other.

If that is the case then we can afford to draft Yi, if only to have some scoring and rebounding off of the bench. We know he can do at least those 2 things in the NBA.

Quote:

See we have a fundamental disagreemnent on Conley. Conley is a fast, pass first pg who cant shoot. We already have a fast, pass first pg who cant shoot, in fact his name is Speedy.

Speedy is definitely NOT a pass-first PG. And we don't know for sure if Speedy will ever be speedy again. And Conley's shot is nowehere nearly as bad as Speedy.

If we got Conley, he would be the only distributor on our roster. Ivey isn't one, Lue isn't one, AJ isn't one, and Speedy sure as hell isn't one. He would be the only guy to hit Marvin or Childress or Smith as they slash through the lane, or to hit JJ or Marvin at the right time coming off a curl to hit open shots. Yes Conley and Speedy can both drive and dish (when healthy), but Conley is also a distributor / pass first PG whereas Speedy can't really do much other than drive and dish, run the break, and play D. That's a HUGE difference.

As for getting one of the three PG's, the plan you showed in the other thread had us getting neither, but rather just Jack. I'm also not convinced that Law and Critt are in the same league. Critt could be, but is full of uncertainty and will take time. Law will be very good, but will always be a score first PG.

Once and for all we can get a pass-first PG who can actually run an offense and bring out the best out of our other players. This is probably our last chance. Let's get him.

Quote:

My thinking and most of us who are Yi supporters is that there are 3pgs who are great. I mean, if in 2005 we got Paul, Felton or Deron, I don't think we'd be bitching about one or the other.

If that is the case then we can afford to draft Yi, if only to have some scoring and rebounding off of the bench. We know he can do at least those 2 things in the NBA.

I know one pg,his name is God Shammgod.The best pg of CBA. skateboard.gif

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/shammgo01.html

http://slamonline.com/online/2006/11/chinese-hoops-report/

Quote:

Quote:

I know one pg,his name is God Shammgod.The best pg of CBA. skateboard.gif

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/shammgo01.html

http://slamonline.com/online/2006/11/chinese-hoops-report/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1178718792...ON=wsjie/6month