Draft Express word on the street

Scott

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure if he can spend a full 40 minutes a night at center in the NBA but we wouldn't be any worse with him there than with Zaza.

But that is not a reason to draft him at 3. He isn't going to be a starting center on a good team and he won't start at the 4 in front of Smith so there is no point in drafting him at 3.

That could be true.

In that is true (which no one knows yet), I just prey BK doesn't go for Yi or Wright.

Hoford , Conley, or bust is the way I see it.

My point is that if we use #3 on Conley I don't see how we can obtain a post player any where close to Hoford's ability with #11 and fillers.

Quote:

So it appears like Conley is second to Horford on the Memphis and Bucks wish list. So is he really a reach at 3?

unless memphis/bucks are saying that so that it won't look like a reach for us to take Conley, so that increases the odds we take Conley, which increases the odds they can get the big they want, like Horford...

Quote:

Quote:

i can't beleive bwright's name is still associated with us....

I am hoping and praying to god that BK is just blowing smoke about his interest in Wright- but somehow I doubt that. A Brandan Wright pick would seem to fit Billy's mindset and modus operandi to a T. Hey, who cares if he's a project and a Marvin Williams clone???? You can never have enough of those, right??? So now by drafting Wright... we'll have a #2 and a #3 overall pick, both of whom are mirror images of each other. Can it get any more effing insane than that????? banghead.gif

I'm serious in that I might be done with the Hawks if BK picks Wright. Not that that's going to hurt anyone or make a difference to anyone at all (beyond myself), but sometimes things just reach a point where you just cannot participate in the process any longer, for your own mental health and well-being. And by continuing to support the Hawks, to me that would almost be like condoning what that [censored] is doing to this team. Sorry for the language, but like I say- it upsets me terribly.

Brandan Wright is a Marvin Williams clone?

So just because they both are Freshman from UNC that means they are spitting images of one another?

Their game is nothing alike and neither are their resumes.

Marvin Williams was a swingman who hadn't started since HS and wasn't even ranked in the top 12 of his HS class.

Brandan Wright is a guy who was for the longest ranked behind Greg Oden for best of his ridiculously strong HS class.

He is also a post player who set a NCAA record for Freshman in FG%.

No similarities in their game whatsoever

• Moderators

Quote:

Marvin Williams was a swingman who hadn't started since HS and wasn't even ranked in the top 12 of his HS class.

Who didn't rank Marvin in the top 12? Every ranking I have ever seen of him in HS his senior year was top 10.

Even when possible HSers in the NBA were discussed, he was viewed as one of a few elite guys who might go pro. Rivals, for example, ID'd Marvin, Dwight Howard and Josh Smith as the three most likely to make the jump. They ranked them Dwight then Marvin then Josh. They also said NBA teams might take Marvin over Dwight (which seems insane to me but go figure).

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/conten...1146&CID=231581

Quote:

Agreed that Marvin and Brandon are not very similar at all except in being freshman from Carolina who probably weren't ready to make the jump after their freshman year but were good enough prospects that they were sure they would go high.

Quote:

Saying Brandan is a Marvin clone isn't meant to be in the context of how they play, rather the stage of development. With both of these guys, the key word is potential and time. No one is making an outrageous claim that they play the exact same way, its just a different context of using the word clone.

As far as development, Brandan Wright is mature beyond his years as a post player. He understands how to play the post more than many NBA vets.

Sure the guy probably needs to put on 30 pounds, but that's something with the workout regiment of professional basketball should not be that difficult.

And who cares if he's not ready next year?

Is this team going to win a championship regardless?

We need to get pieces that will give us a shot down the road.

Quote:

Quote:

Who didn't rank Marvin in the top 12? Every ranking I have ever seen of him in HS his senior year was top 10.

Even when possible HSers in the NBA were discussed, he was viewed as one of a few elite guys who might go pro. Rivals, for example, ID'd Marvin, Dwight Howard and Josh Smith as the three most likely to make the jump. They ranked them Dwight then Marvin then Josh. They also said NBA teams might take Marvin over Dwight (which seems insane to me but go figure).

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/conten...&CID=231581

Quote:

Agreed that Marvin and Brandon are not very similar at all except in being freshman from Carolina who probably weren't ready to make the jump after their freshman year but were good enough prospects that they were sure they would go high.

Well Scout.com had him as #13.

And Rivals has him as #11.

But that's besides the point. Im just saying to suggest he's a clone of Marvin is suggesting it's a repetitive pick but they play two completely different positions.

In addition to being the ACC rookie of the year, Wright was the ACC Tournament MVP, made 2nd-team All ACC, and was the 2nd leading scorer on a loaded team.

That's a helluva lot more proven than Marvin who was what the 5th or 6th option on a team and only shot 50% while Wright set an NCAA RECORD

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who didn't rank Marvin in the top 12?

Well Scout.com had him as #13.

Actually, they ranked him #7:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c...&pid=88&yr=2004

So that would make it every ranking that had him in the top 12. wink.gif

Quote:

Wright set an NCAA RECORD

Is his NCAA record FG% for a freshman?

Quote:

Maybe I'm in a small crowd but what makes ya'll think Al is a better Center then Zaza?

Assuming it's true that Conley is showing that he actually can shoot, and if daylight is starting to open between Conley and Law or Critt, then it has to be Conley at 3. Horford is not going to be our center, if we are ever going to get to the 3rd round of the playoffs. And we took a PF at the 5th pick last year.

Looking like Brewer may slip to 11. If we took Conley at 3, then Brewer is my choice at 11. Florida was a darn good team last 2 years, and I think Brewer was the heart of it.

I know, it makes Chills expendable, or the lesser of Chills or Brewer expendable. That's what we will have available to use to get a legitimate post player in trade.

Corey Brewer, for his defense and his clutch and his speed and length and smarts and will to win; I think he will shine in the NBA, and soon.