• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Noah vies for Hawks' attention

pimp

Sorry if this has been posted

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published on: 06/22/07

Atlanta — Joakim Noah says he doesn't pay a lot of attention to those who publish NBA mock drafts.

"I heard one of them is like a kid who is 16 years old in his basement," Noah said.

Your Turn

How should the Hawks use their two draft picks in the first round?

Draft for needs first.

Go with the best available players.

Make a trade to strengthen the team.

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

Woodson likes Crittenton

Hawks see big chance in draft

Horford dubbed 'the total package'

More Hawks coverage

But Noah knows enough to realize the NBA draft guessing game begins with the No. 3 pick, and that's why he was in Atlanta on Friday for a workout with the Hawks.

Greg Oden and Kevin Durant are considered locks to be taken by Portland and Seattle, respectively, with the first two picks on Thursday.

Some draft projections have the Hawks taking one of Noah's Florida teammates — center Al Horford — or Ohio State point guard Mike Conley Jr. with the No. 3 pick.

Noah, a power forward, on Friday tried to convince Hawks general manager Billy Knight and coach Mike Woodson that he should be the third pick.

"That's why I'm here," he said. "If I didn't think I had a chance I wouldn't be here."

The Hawks also have the No. 11 pick, but Noah hopes he's not around that long.

The draft decision by Knight, who wasn't talking on Friday, could help set the pace for the rest of the first round.

Noah is as curious as anyone.

"You know who's going one and two," Noah said. "Then you have no idea."

It's a big decision for the Hawks.

"It's huge for our franchise," Woodson said. "We're in a position where we can either trade them if the trade makes sense or we pick two young guys who come in and fit in with the young guys we already have. I think the big thing about this draft is you can pick a guy who can come in and play right away. Last year we got caught when the injuries occurred, we just didn't have backup players that were ready to play."

Noah also has worked out for Boston, Charlotte, Chicago and Minnesota and will work out for Memphis on Saturday. Memphis has the fourth pick.

Noah said trade speculation involving NBA stars Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett and a phone call on Friday from the Phoenix Suns adds more mystery to the draft.

"The craziest thing about it is you have no idea also what's going to happen if these big guys go in trades, these superstars," he said. "As a player you just have to be ready for anything.

"Just today, I had an opportunity to go work out in Phoenix. Phoenix isn't in the lottery. Why would they call my agent and say 'We want him to work out?'"

Noah said he accepted the Suns' invitation.

Noah (6-11, 232) averaged 12.0 points and 8.4 rebounds as a junior to help Florida win its second straight national championship.

Florida's wealth of talent made it difficult for any player to consistently play a lead role, and Noah's scoring average fell from his 14.2 points per game as a sophomore.

Woodson said he doesn't consider Noah to be a "great scorer." Woodson also said the lean Noah will need to add weight and strength to be a productive inside player in the NBA.

Even so, Woodson said he thinks Noah could make an immediate impact.

"You kind of cue in on what he actually does for his team," Woodson said. "The fact he defends and he rebounds and he runs the floor, for a 7-footer that's all you can really ask for. He's not a great scorer. He can finish at the rim. The fact he gets up and down the floor, he'll get buckets that way.

"I look at guys who can rebound and play defense and run the floor, and if you can do those three things you have a future in our league."

Knight has been criticized for failing to draft a point guard while instead picking versatile forwards in recent years. Knight picked forwards Shelden Williams and Marvin Williams in the first round the last two years, and in 2004 he took wing player Josh Childress and forward Josh Smith with two first-round picks.

The Hawks, who hit bottom with 13 wins in 2004-05, improved to 30 wins last season. Still, they finished in last place while missing the playoffs for the eighth straight year.

Last year the Hawks signed veteran point guard Speedy Claxton to a four-year, $25.5 million deal, but Claxton missed 36 games with a sore left knee and started only 31 games. The team's lone All-Star, Joe Johnson, missed the final 21 games with a bruised right calf.

Woodson said he believes Claxton and another veteran point guard, Tyronn Lue, will be stronger in the 2007-08 season, possibly influencing a decision on drafting Conley.

I'd love to have Noah although he is not my first choice.

However, the NBA has conducted its official measurements and Noah is 7' tall and 223 pounds. Why does nobody get that right? Draft Express FINALLY changed their info for him. If it's Yi whom we don't really know about, then I could see discrepancies. But why would anyone anywhere in the media not use the NBA's official stats for the guy?

Quote:

Quote:

I'd love to have Noah although he is not my first choice.

You're not allowed to like more than one player on these boards or else you're a menopausal woman

You know, I'm kinda like you. There are so many players to get excited about I don't see how even BK get screw up this draft. I think it's pretty clear he is not drafting a SF/SG (although some people want to call Yi a SF).

I was high on Noah from the start. Then all this info came out about Yi and, as you say, if it's true he's just too good to pass on. But even if we do, Horford is going to be a very solid player. And much as he is my last choice, Brandon Wright has so much talent and potential, I can't even call that pick a bust (although most would disagree). And as for the three point guards, any of them would be an upgrade (although in some cases, down the road).

I just don't see how even BK can break my heart on this draft (which he certainly did last year).

Quote:

I just don't see how even BK can break my heart on this draft (which he certainly did last year).

Never underestimate Billy. He can trade the picks for more crappy non-starters or pick a small forward. I want to be optimistic but all this trade talk really has me worried.