• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Law is first 'real PG' drafted by ATL since 1990.

HAWKS1986

This is really the first time in 17 years that Hawks drafted a true point guard. For old time Hawks' fans, Rumeal Robinson (formerly of Michigan), who had a short-lived stay in Atlanta before the arrival of Mookie Blaylock, is the last PG we have drafted.

Jason Terry was a shooting guard primarily during the days of Miles Simon and Mike Bibby at Arizona. Terry was NOT a floor general, but Law who played FOUR YEARS as the point guard, is a floor general. Terry was not ready to take over for Mookie Blaylock in 1999 and he has been a disappointment in Dallas despite an improved supporting cast with the Mavericks.

Some have made the comparison of Law to Stoudamire, but its simply not the case. Salim and Acie are two different players and the main difference is mindset. One is self-centred/moody (Salim) and the other makes their teammates better and is willing to take over at the end of games (Law).

Under Billy Knight, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME he has drafted a player with 'leadership qualities'. Josh Childress was not a leader at Stanford, and neither was Marvin Williams at North Carolina. Josh Smith was a high School player who struggled his first year, but isn't a floor leader. And other players such as Boris Diaw, DerMarr Johnson and Dion Glover were offensive players, but not 'leaders'.

The drafting of Law marks the first time that the Hawks organization has used the draft in nearly TWO DECADES to draft a point guard in the first round..

Quote:

I consider Jason Terry more of a true PG then Acie Law sorry.

Terry was forced into the role of PG after the departure of Mike Bibby and Miles Simon at Arizona.

Its safe to say that Baron Davis, Mike Bibby and Andre Miler has had more individual and team success than Terry.

Terry is a good offensive player and very fast and get a lot of steals, but he was a defensive liability and didn't have the end-game moxie of a 'franchise player' and his passing skills were suspect.

The Hawks traded away an aging Mookie Blaylock in 1999 and that was a mistake. Terry was NEVER ready to lead a team.. and now with Dallas Coach Avery Johnson, he prefers Devin Harris getting increasing playing time..

Andre Miller, Baron Davis and Mike Bibby were point guards FROM THE BEGINNING for YEARS..it was their natural position..in college and the NBA

Terry was a 'stretch' as a PG and the Hawks were never ever able to get over the hump with him 'acting' like a point guard..

Law has played point guard on the collegiate level for FOUR FULL YEARS.. he dealt with adversity at Texas A/M and showed leadership on the floor..

Law is more NBA ready than Terry was coming into the NBA..

Quote:

Quote:

Its safe to say that Baron Davis, Mike Bibby and Andre Miler has had more individual and team success than Terry.

Wasn't Jason Terry college player of the year his senior season?

I agree I think Law will be a good point guard. He might not step in immediately and start but give him a little while and I bet he will take over the starting role. And anyways for all of you out there saying we should have drafted Conley, WHO would we have gotten with #11??? Hawes and Noah were gone, and there were no other big men worth a #11 pick.

Jason Terry has leadership qualities, HOWEVER, not to the extent of Law. And it is true, he is a SHOOTING GUARD in a PG's body. Law is a legitimate point guard peeps. He is the only guy in the nation this year to record two 15 assists games on the D-1 level. He routinely stepped up when his team needed it (save for the Memphis debacle). If that ain't a point guard, I don't know what is. Jay Bilas is gonig to eat crow...again (see 2004 bash on Smoove).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wasn't Jason Terry college player of the year his senior season?

Terry was PAC-10 Player of the year in 1999, but Arizona had their best TEAM success with Mike Bibby and Miles Simon as their point guards when Arizona won the national championship TWO YEARS EARLIER in 1997.

Terry was able to create for himself, but on the NBA level he hasn't been able to take his game to the next level like a Dwayne Wade. Terry had opportunities in Atlanta, but he wasn't able to make his teammates better and 'disappeared' at the end of games.. And his performance in the NBA Finals against Miami in which Terry 'shrinked' and Dwayne Wade 'blossomed' personified why Terry has underachieved as a point guard/leader..

Quote:

Jason Terry has leadership qualities, HOWEVER, not to the extent of Law. And it is true, he is a SHOOTING GUARD in a PG's body. Law is a legitimate point guard peeps. He is the only guy in the nation this year to record two 15 assists games on the D-1 level. He routinely stepped up when his team needed it (save for the Memphis debacle). If that ain't a point guard, I don't know what is. Jay Bilas is gonig to eat crow...again (see 2004 bash on Smoove).

I agree with this assessment.