• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What will it take for Braves to win the division?

CBAreject

I think the Braves have a good shot to win the division, being 2 games back at the break. Andruw Jones can't continue to be awful for the rest of the year, and Salty is adding some consistency to 1B. The team is starting to hit again. Of course, the problem is, we just can't pitch.

Can we win it with the present roster? I think we'll be close, but I think it would require a suprise performance from Carlyle and Davies. They are the keys. Carlyle needs to just continue to do what he's done thus far. Davies needs to do what he's capable of, and what he did in his last start. If both guys can just be 4.50 ERA type average quality starters, we have a very good chance. If Davies continues to give up 7 runs in 3 innings every other start, I don't like our chances.

That brings me to possible moves. If we can't expect BOTH Davies AND Carlyle to have a strong 2nd half (by their standards), and it is my contention that we should expect this from neither, we MUST make a trade for a starter. Trading for a bat makes no sense, as we obviously score runs as long as Chipper isn't MIA and Andruw isn't playing worse than me.

There are 2 possibilities: 1) trade for a starter; 2) trade for a long reliever and let Villareal be the 5th starter

#2 is tricky, since we don't know if Villareal would be effective in this role long term. However, it would be easier than #1, since starters are coveted and expensive. We could also do #2 just to get an extra arm and then "wait and see" if Carlyle or Davies fail. It would make us more versatile that way.

I haven't heard rumors of any quality starters being traded (like Paul Byrd was a few years back). It's a shame, because it seemed Scheurholz could always add an arm when we didn't really even need one (Ashby, Neagle, Byrd), but now that we do, there are none to be found. Given that, I don't know if we'll make any trade at all. It sure seems like we need to, but if these things can't be forced, and I wouldn't dream of giving up Escobar or Salty for a half season out of a veteran pitcher.

I think the hitting will be fine, they've actually scored more runs than anyone the last two weeks. The bullpen should be alright too, especially when they get Soriano at closer, Devine is with them now also, he's been tearing up the minors. They need another starter somehow, I would be willing to give up Yunel to get him, no way on Saltalamachia. Escobar doesn't have power, if he did, I'd be right with you. But the Braves could get someone really good for him, so I say go for it.

I agree we really need another arm.

Dontrel Willis seems to be getting some buzz around the rumor mill as being available. These rumors are probably nothing more than that, but Willis would be a fine addition to the Braves staff. He would cost us Salty and that puts Salty in the division with us, so its a hard move to make.

The Cubs could be a seller if they drop out of it, but the way they are playing probably not.

Other teams that are going no where, thus should be willing to trade:

SF- but who do they have?

Tampa- nothing

Nationals- Livan Hernandez, I suppose, but not worth it.

Rockies- seem to be fading and have some young arms that might be better outside of Denver.

Houston- maybe out of it by the end of July, or maybe not. What do they have that they would be willing to give up though?

In all, I can't really see much out there in the way of trades since so many teams are still in the running, or just don't have any pitching anyways.

Noah Lowry from San Fran ... he's the guy people are talking about and I'd love to have. He'd be a great #3 and wouldn't cost Escobar, plus the Giants have a ton of pitching behind him while the Braves have a ton of hitting and little pitching in the minors.

I'd be a little less hesitant to trade Yunel Escobar if I felt Van Pope was close to being ready for the major leagues as a third baseman. Yes, I know Yunel is a natural short stop, but he's the guy this team will turn to if Chipper has to miss anymore time. If they trade Yunel, then there are really no options behind Chipper at 3B.

Van Pope was thought to be the heir apparent, but he hasn't proven he can hit at the AA level. He's had a horrible season at Mississippi and should probably repeat next season at Mississippi to prove himself. His bat has picked up over his past 90 at bats or so, but I still have my doubts that he will ever be more than a .250 hitter in the majors. Pope can pick it at 3B defensively though.

There is no way we pay Renteria what he will command if he keeps hitting this strong, imo. Escobar would fit very nicely there. Chipper is a lifetime Brave I think, and we have a few more years to find that guy. It won't be Van Pope, imo of course. In the meantime anyone who can play a little defense would get a call up from us if Chipper were to really get hurt. Smoltz has called him out and I think Chip is never going to sit again, though. He needs to forget about making great plays at 3rd and just swing the damn stick. I love Chipper and think he is one of the most competent hitters to ever play. I thought he was going to put up Mantle like numbers. At least Eddie Murray. The twilight is near and he needs to hit.

Back to the point... I would hate to part with either Escobar or Salty. I personally feel that McCann is an average catcher( he misses far too many balls in the dirt). It directly cost us a game the other day. He doesn't really call a great game or throw very well, either. He sure can hit, though. Salty is an improvement in every area, to me. Even hitting.

My guess is we trade lesser prospects at the very last minute. Who knows what that may bring with the appropriate Major league ready filler. I really would like a sexy trade right now, but that would be a tall order.

Couple things, Eric Campbell is the 3B of the future and Renteria is signed through 2009, at which point Lillibridge or Andrus should be ready to go there ... Should we trade Escobar, I really think Kelly Johnson will be fine at 2nd and 1B/Catcher will be split between McCann and Salty with Thorman backing up. It's worth trading Escobar for a big starter, we need one, bad.