• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is this what Smoove's extension will look like

gsuteke

Quote:

That's a steal if we get away with that

I just hope he doesn't ask for a Rashard Lewis deal

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/gerald_wallace/index.html

now use the compare player feature to see them head to head. they are close.

Wallace scores more points and shoots a much higher FG%. Smoove edges him in rebounding, assists, and owns him in BS.

Quote:

In an extension he can only go up to 5 years. He can become a RFA and then sign for 6 years, but thats the only way Smoove gets 6.

Also, remember we have court restrictions. Doubtful that he gets a 5 year with our current situation. More likely a 3 year extension because that would give him a total of 4 years on his contract.

In terms of starting salary along with max raises (Wallace goes 7.525, 8.315, 9.105...) then yes, I could see Smoove getting something similar to this. Also Wallace has $2 mil each year in bonuses he could reach (not exactly sure what they are) and I could see Smoove also getting this.

but we went over the contract situation over and over again on this site and the end result is the Hawks have no restrictions resigning players already on their roster. it only applies to free agents from other teams.

my post digging is supsect. i swear we went over this a dozen times a year ago.

I don't think the ruling applies to Hawks already on the roster. I have a sneaky suspicion someone will answer that question for us in short order.

I doubt it.

The biggest difference is that Gerald Wallace is 25 years old and a 6 year NBA veteran now. Josh Smith is still 3 years younger with 3 years less experience. Compared to each other at the same age, Josh blows Gerald Wallace out of the water.

Quote:

Quote:

That's a steal if we get away with that

I just hope he doesn't ask for a Rashard Lewis deal

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/gerald_wallace/index.html

now use the compare player feature to see them head to head. they are close.

Wallace scores more points and shoots a much higher FG%. Smoove edges him in rebounding, assists, and owns him in BS.

Smoove is also 3 years younger.

When Josh Smith is 25 he will be an NBA Superstar.

if he learns to dribble or create his own shot...then yes, you are correct.

Until then...I think that the Wallace deal is about right, especially given if it's for three years (see Wade, Bron, etc.).

Only caveat to that is that, in doing so, he's going to want to remain the face of the franchise...thus, he can't lose his starting spot...can he?

• Moderators

Quote:

my post digging is supsect. i swear we went over this a dozen times a year ago.

I don't think the ruling applies to Hawks already on the roster. I have a sneaky suspicion someone will answer that question for us in short order.

hawksfanatic is right as far as I know. I haven't seen anything that distinguishes between players already on our roster and FAs as far as the restrictions. When the restrictions first went into place and were more onerous, there were some additional layers but I believe right now it is a simple 4 year/salary cap set of limits.

resolved? If indeed the restrictions set by the court prevent us from being able to sign our own players to an extension, I think that could be the catalyst that either causes the Court to speed up the process or that causes Stern to step in. Not being able to sign our own players to an extension as long as what other teams could sign them for what put us at a TREMENDOUS disadvantage. We shall see.

The reason we need to get this deal done THIS offseason is because we WON'T be able to match a 5 year offer from another team without Belkins approval. If a team offers Smith 5 years, we are screwed according to everything I've read. I really hope BK and our owners are smart enough to realize that. It's not looking good.

Quote:

Quote:

The reason we need to get this deal done THIS offseason is because we WON'T be able to match a 5 year offer from another team without Belkins approval. If a team offers Smith 5 years, we are screwed according to everything I've read. I really hope BK and our owners are smart enough to realize that. It's not looking good.

That is a very good point, we definitely wouldn't be able to match a 5 year contract. Although, I think we would make sure we tell Smoove and Chill that before they even get tendered offers.

As far as speeding up the court process, that isn't likely. Anything involving the courts is a lethargic situation and I doubt they will see a pressing need to end it. Now I could see there being a changing in the ruling on the 4 year contract stipulation for our own players, but that doesn't end this whole process.

Yeah I realize the court process will probably take a while. But we should do everything we can to get an extension on Smith signed this offseason IMO.