• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ranking the NBA GMs

KB21

http://espn.go.com/nba/s/2002/0912/1430767.html

Just thought this was interesting. This was the ratings before the start of the season. Pete is definitely down on this list, but I'd still put him ahead of Paxson and St. Jean. At least Pete has had winning teams before. I don't think St. Jean has had a winning team since he's been in Golden State, and Paxson is completely worthless.

Of those top guys though, I don't see any that will be willing to jump ship and head to Atlanta. Unless there is some connection between Stan Kasten and one of them. I don't know what Bob Bass's future with the Hornets holds, because it's obvious that he has some pretty meddlesome owners in Ray Wooldridge and George Shinn to deal with.

okay, he did some amazing things in New Jersey... but does he deserve to be that high?

I give lotta props for the JASON KIDD trade. But didnt he admit that there was a lot of "LUCKY" during last years run?

prior to last year, that team did SUCK like us currently (i believe).

And the KENYON MARTIN #1 draft pick.... wat was the probability of them getting that #1 pick? wasnt it like less than 5%?

not to mention that the NETS remained HEALTHY that year (last year).

Im Not saying hes a bad GM... but with 1 turnaround season, do u automatically become a good GM?

A lot of that has to do with the fact that he was a good GM with the Bulls in the early 80s. He's the guy that drafted Michael Jordan. Jerry Krause likes to take credit, but Rod Thorn set the foundation for the Bulls Championships.

• Premium Member

First,

West shouldn't be #1.

I like him a lot but it's not known what effect his moves will have in Memphis. For God sake he traded Gooden/Gircek for Miller and they call him the best talent evaluator in the game?

Gabrielle should be higher.

He traded a one dimensional shooter for a 20/10 PF and a 18/5/5 SG. Not to mention Tmac, Hill, and he should have gotten Duncan.

Riley should be dead Last.

As a GM Riles SUCK. He has let talent slip and slide through his fingers. Mash, Ricky Davis, etc... Then he signed Grant and Jones to Huge Contracts.

It should be:

1. Nellie

2. Petrie

3. Gabby

4. Poppivich - he did let Anderson go?

5. Dumars

6. Thorn

7. Walsh -Artest, Mercer... Bums

8. Dawson

9. Bass

10. King

11. E. Grunfeld

12. Kupchak - They have nobody young besides Kobe.

13. West - I can't let the Miller trade go, but he did pick a good coach.

14. McHale - He's done a lot with nothing.

15. OConner = UTah has a future.

16. Walker. Ray Allen....Lewis.

17. Trader Bob. So he trades alot. He has a stacked squad.

18. Coangelo. Nice guy but Googs/Hardaway are biggest mistakes.

19. Kiki V. Has Denver on the freeway to playoffs.

20. G. St. Jean. Nobody has amassed more talent than GS.

The rest are the rest.

In reply to:

Gabrielle should be higher.

He traded a one dimensional shooter for a 20/10 PF and a 18/5/5 SG. Not to mention Tmac, Hill, and he should have gotten Duncan.

I'd rank Dumars above Gabriel easily. The Grant Hill trade as an example. The Hill trade has been a total disaster for Orlando that may haunt them for several years. Hill has played about 50 games in 3 years for Orlando and has cost Gabriel's team at least $30 million. Meanwhile, it has been a blessing for Detroit.

Gabriel should have gotten Duncan, but he didn't.

• Premium Member

I don't think that GM's are prophets or Seers. No one could have forseen that Grant Hill's ankle injury would sidelinehim and cause him to retire.

When Gabby picked him up, he was on the road to recovery after being injured in the playoffs. It was a bold move to move out his high salaries and go after Tmac, Hill, and Duncan. Had Duncan not listened to David's last plea, Orlando would have had a dynasty... Hill or not. The fact that Gabby was able to reload this season with Gooden and Giricek just shows that the man knows his business.

So if Grant Retires this summer as expected, Orlando buys him out and has enough money to go after Khandi man or Howard or make a deal for Camby.

• Admin

Khandi isn't the answer to anyones problems, much less Orlandos. THey need a real man who has the heart and talent to deliver consistantly. Not a guy who gives middle of the road stats, even in contract years.

I won't even take the time to crack jokes on camby.

I love how everyone always mention the talent traded in the Orlando Memphis trade, how it was so lopsided, without mentioning or perhaps realizing, the picks involved as well. Am I right in thinking that Memphis doesn't ahve a lot of picks coming his way...? I mean, wait until you see who they get with Orlando's pick...as the trade has not yet come to fruition.

• Premium Member

I would agree with you about the mentioning of the picks. However, that pick will be 16 in a weak draft.

Say what you want... Gooden is better and will be better than Gasol. Giricek is better than whatever they can get from this weak draft. They wasn't too hurt about their pick situation. They still get Houston's first round pick this year. They will lose their own pick to Detroit (Joey D is good) however, West traded two good young players for a one dimensional player and the right to be in the draft at about 16=17?

• Premium Member

If you took the time to look, I merely mentioned the free agent that can address Orlando's need.

Now that they have Gooden, the only thing missing is a C.

Armstrong, Giricek, Tmac, Gooden,BIG VOID.

Not a great C, they just need somebody that can get in there and get some boards. Duncan will require too much money. Oneal too. I figure Khandi will be cheap enough. I also mentioned Camby because he's cheap enough to trade Armstrong for Camby.

• Admin

when talking about free agent centers or trade discussions involving centers.

While he COULD help orlando. Some sap of a GM will offer him more money than Gabriel (if he's not a sap himself) will and he'll go for the money, not the best shot at winning. At least we know that sap won't be Babcock!

ok first off DIESEL...

If BABCOCK was GM in Orlando, i think McGrady would still have gone to ORLANDO (given the same situation- Orlando being under the cap).

McGradys idol was PENNY HARDAWAY and he loved the ORLANDO area.

Gooden isint a 20/10 PF. Well atleast not now. hes fully capable though, lets evaluate the trade in a year or two. but as of right now, Yes- that was a good move for Gabrielle.

i like Gabrielle, but i dont think hes the best GM or anything.

He also solved a frontcourt logjam that had no solution in sight. HE said that he would take the best player in the draft that was available, and I'm sure that, in his mind, that is exactly what he did. After evaluating things for the better part of the season, including a long span where Gooden started, usually at the three, he realized that between Gasol, Wright, Swift, and Gooden, someone had to go, there simply weren't enough minutes.

He chose to move Gooden - his call. I'm sure he thought it through and figured that it was the best move, perhaps even thinking Gooden too much of a tweener. Who knows. However, something had to be done...and Gasol was getting much more touches the second half of the year, after being initially excluded from most of Brown's sets, he started having plays called for him and got his stats back to where he was last year. The team played better...and the logjam of talented players had to be resolved...and that's what he did, for better or worse. Time will tell.