• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A little diddy bout AL and Alonzo

codyatl

I am sure someone has mentioned this before BUT I think it bears repeating. Mourning is 6 10 260. Al is 6 10 245. It isnt very hard to pack on 15 pds. I believe anyone would have loved to have mourning even now play for atl. So, I dont understand the fuss about horford not being able to play center in the nba. Especially now that centers of mournings era are all but gone. Horford will be fine at the 5 for the hawks. He wont have to be the man at the 5 this yr which will give him time to get a little bigger and stronger. I was scared to death that knight would take yi and I am so thankful that we ended up wiht horford. Granted I would have much rather have the proven player in stoudamire but.....

I would love tio know what zo's measurments were coming into the league if anyone knows.

Please stop the nonsense. Zo is one of the best shotblockers in NBA history, averaging 2.8 for his career. Horford will be lucky to even get one block per game. He has zero so far in two summer league games.

There is more to defense than shotblocking but let's try to be at least a LITTLE realistic with the Horford comparisons.

Quote:

Please stop the nonsense. Zo is one of the best shotblockers in NBA history, averaging 2.8 for his career. Horford will be lucky to even get one block per game. He has zero so far in two summer league games.

There is more to defense than shotblocking but let's try to be at least a LITTLE realistic with the Horford comparisons.

I agree completely.

Guest GHook4

Quote:

If shot blocking is all player center is about...

Then we can just move Smoove there and forget about the position for the next 10 years right???

Come on...

I agree completely.

Guest Walter

Quote:

If shot blocking is all player center is about...

Then we can just move Smoove there and forget about the position for the next 10 years right???

Come on...

The mere suggestion that height and size is more important than shot blocking production for the center position is just silly.

The original poster commented that Mourning and Horford were roughly the same height and size. THAT was his comparison and that is the reason he said Horford will be "fine at the 5".

First, a 3rd overall pick and "fine" should NEVER be mentioned in the same sentence. You are drafting for stardom at 3 or else you are making a mistake.

Secondly, there are so many more 6'9.75" and 245 lb players that aren't and will never be "fine" at the center position. Mourning is BY FAR the exception and not the rule.

Thirdly, and to your argument, it is nonsensical to argue that proven All-star caliber NBA shot blocking at the center position is all the center position is about when the original poster was arguing roughly the same size (and nothing else) about a player whose size was an exception at the position is all the center position is all about.

In short, freakish NBA shot-blocking AT the center position is so far above a size comparion between a prospect and a successful player who was (bigger and) the exception in terms of size at the center position.

W

I don't think he's quite the player Zo was physically. I mean Zo was the #2 pick in the '92 draft only behind the greatest center of all (Shaq). He averaged 20/10/3.5 blocks his first year. Zo could certainly handle the duty at 5 we will see if Horford can.

Quote:

I don't think he's quite the player Zo was physically. I mean Zo was the #2 pick in the '92 draft only behind the greatest center of all (Shaq). He averaged 20/10/3.5 blocks his first year. Zo could certainly handle the duty at 5 we will see if Horford can.

I'm not sure Zo would have gone ahead of Oden or Durant in this draft either, although I'd definitely take him over Durant.

Anyway, I don't think Horford will be as good defensively as Zo, especially not in shotblocking, but I actually think Horford is more polished offensively and will be comparable on the boards too.

I was not saying that because they are the same size they will be the same player. That is insane. I was simply stating that Horford would be able to play the position and not get manhandled even though he isnt 7 ft tall and 280 pds. As far as talent, we will have to wait and see. If he comes even close to what mourning achieved we will be happy.

Quote:

How often are NBA Superstars drafted after the cosensus best two players in the draft?

More often than you would think. It helps if you don't have idiots running your team, though. Sometimes it's a crapshoot, but it helps to have winners choosing for you. Not losers like BK.

Here's a few players that are or have been franchise players at one point, drafted after the top #2. I checked an old draft guide from the turn of the century( haha ) and here's quite a list just from 94 to 98.

Sheed #4

KG #5

Ray Allen #5

Antoine Walker #6

Kobe #13

Nash #15

J.O. #17

Billups #3

V.C. #5

Dirk #9

Pierce #10

T-Mac #9

Guest GHook4

Quote:

Alonzo may be 260 lbs now, but when he was drafted in 1992, he was 6'10", 240 lbs. Alonzo also played power forward for his first three years at Georgetown alongside Dikembe Mutombo at center.

That's interesting. I've never heard Walter call Alonzo a 4.25...

You cannont draft for stardom if there's no consensus "star" there...The draft is a crapshoot for the most part anyway...

There have been numerous 1's and 2's that didn't wind up being stars...and then you have the Paul Pierce's, Josh Smith's, Tony Parker's, Gilbert Arenas's of the world that defy scouting reports and become stars...

You make THE BEST PICK for your team at that number. That's about it.

I made this comparison as well for SIZE terms. You can look at other successful centers in the NBA that are of similar size to Horf:

Magloire, whom almost every HS poster has wanted over the past few years.

Kristic, a guy that was playing well for NJ before injury

Theo Ratliff

Ben Wallace (second round pick)

Rasheed Wallace

Brendon Haywood (Horf isn't as hefty)

And the list goes on.

People are going to go with pre-conceived beliefs despite the evidence and there is NOTHING anyone can do to change them. If Horf wins rookie of the year, people on the board will still deride the selection. I for one would like to wait to see the guy play for a few years before making a full-judgment on his ability to play center in the NBA.

Quote:

I am sure someone has mentioned this before BUT I think it bears repeating. Mourning is 6 10 260. Al is 6 10 245. It isnt very hard to pack on 15 pds. I believe anyone would have loved to have mourning even now play for atl. So, I dont understand the fuss about horford not being able to play center in the nba. Especially now that centers of mournings era are all but gone. Horford will be fine at the 5 for the hawks. He wont have to be the man at the 5 this yr which will give him time to get a little bigger and stronger. I was scared to death that knight would take yi and I am so thankful that we ended up wiht horford. Granted I would have much rather have the proven player in stoudamire but.....

I would love tio know what zo's measurments were coming into the league if anyone knows.

I am sure someone has mentioned this before BUT I think it bears repeating. Shaq was 7-0 265. Al is 6 10 245. It isnt very hard to pack on 20 pds. I believe anyone would have loved to have Shaq even now play for atl. So, I dont understand the fuss about horford not being able to play center in the nba. Especially now that centers of shaq era are all but gone. Horford will be fine at the 5 for the hawks. He wont have to be the man at the 5 this yr which will give him time to get a little bigger and stronger. I was scared to death that knight would take yi and I am so thankful that we ended up wiht horford. Granted I would have much rather have the proven player in stoudamire but.....

I would love tio know what shaq's measurments were coming into the league if anyone knows.

homersimpson.gif