• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

smoove could be the face of the city like vick was

PureGreatness

what do yall think. i think he is on his way. if the hawks can become a playoff team this year and smoove put up all star numbers i think he can become the face of the city. of course he wont be the face of the league(nor the top 5 player anytime soon)but it could happen.

Before yall go saying "mike vick is overrated or mike vick kills dogs crap" think about this both. Both are unique(running ability/jumping and blockin) and both have flaws(passing/shooting). yes, mike vick was number one overall pick WE ALL KNOW THAT, he was expected to do good WE ALL KNOW THAT. yes he went through differ systems WE ALL KNOW THAT. but im not talkin bout that. basically for the dumbies im asking " can smoove be the face of the city or a close 2nd"?

Quote:

This city is all about media hype. There was a lot of hype when Vick came out and it interested the city.

even without the hype, believe it or not more folks in and outside georgia know smith than you would think. if he becomes an allstar calliber player then folks would say "u heard of that smith dude that plays for the hawks, he got them winning games". then they would jump on the hawks bandwagon and act liked they always watched the hawks like they did the falcons.also, u said the city is about hype/ what hype. just because 1 player got hyped coming here doesnt mean this city is about hype

First off, I think it's still too soon to know exactly how good Smoove is really going to be. A few more years, particularly this year, will tell how big he could be in the league, let alone the city. You do make a good point about this city easily getting hyped up over Vick so it could happen again if the right guy comes along and has the dynamic electricity that Vick had.

Secondly, refer to Chillz's recent polls as to how to gather opinions here in a respectful way. You sound a bit arrogant when you ask your question but then say "kill dogs crap" and "dumbies." There will always be those who can't respond to what you want to find out but it doesn't help when you ask for opinions while at the same time lacing your question with not so subtle insults. Do you really want to know about how big Smoove could be in this city or do you want to insult me and others like me who sort of are LEGITIMATELY disgusted with Vick right now? Just wondering.

Quote:

Secondly, refer to Chillz's recent polls as to how to gather opinions here in a respectful way. You sound a bit arrogant when you ask your question but then say "kill dogs crap" and "dumbies." There will always be those who can't respond to what you want to find out but it doesn't help when you ask for opinions while at the same time lacing your question with not so subtle insults. Do you really want to know about how big Smoove could be in this city or do you want to insult me and others like me who sort of are LEGITIMATELY disgusted with Vick right now? Just wondering.

what the hell are u saying? i was with you on yo first paragraph but u lost me with the 2nd paragraph. i eliminated the talk of the negativity of vick because i hear it and see it everywhere and i wanted FOR ONCE TO NOT TALK ABOUT THE sheit(excuse my language). if i wanna talk about it then i will go to the falcons board

first of all, i want to say that i like Josh Smith. He, like Vick, brings excitement to their respective sports and to Atlanta.

however, heres the difference.

WINNING

When Mike came into the league, he was benched his first year. In year 2, as a fulltime starter, we had a magical season. We won games, went to the playoffs, beat FARVE at Lambeau Field and made history.

Unless Josh Smith takes us to the playoffs and gets us a victory, i dont see him making an impact like Vick.

You can criticize Vick for his low QB rating... but as a starter, we have a winning record w/ Vick as our starting QB.

you cant say the same about Josh Smith.

I guess I never really thought of Vick as the face of Atlanta sports. For me, that title always belonged to Braves players since they were the ones always competing for titles.

Josh Smith is my favorite Hawk, but I don't think that Smoove can have the same impact as Michael Vick because basketball and football are so radically different that you can't equate the accomplishments.

In basketball, it's not uncommon for a really lousy team to get a really good player and then make the playoffs. One player can totally transform a franchise.

In the NFL, putting a star player on a bottomfeeder team (ala Edge James to Arizona) doesn't make that team into a contender. You'll get nowhere with Peyton Manning and a pack of scrubs. And yet that's pretty much what Vick did in 2002, mostly because he's the only player that can turn a 5 yard loss into a 20 yard gain. The only other areas of the team that weren't a total trainwreck were the LB corps, Warrick Dunn, and Crumpler. The lines, the secondary, and the receivers were all disasters, as we were reminded in 2003 when the Falcons went 2-10 while Vick was injured and then 3-1 when he came back.

A basketball player couldn't just get a team to the playoffs to rival Vick's accomplishment, they would have to do something unparalleled in the sport. Lebron might be the closest thing currently, but even he is a sort of poor comparison, IMO. Magic was the same kind of versatile manchild that Lebron is, only Magic was, way, way better. Vick's physical gifts are completely beyond anything that Cunningham, Young, or any other scrambling QB ever brought to the table. Actually, he's like Barry Sanders, if Barry could shoot a deep ball out of a cannon.

To just be the face of a team you usually have to be the statistical leader (or QB). JSmoove should approach 20/10/4/2.5, but he probably will always be the second or third leading scorer on the Hawks. So he'll at best be somewhat the leader of the Hawks but not a city dominant type athlete.

I see us being a balanced team with JSmoove being only a slight leader in fan favorite voting.