• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lot more shooters this time around for USA men

aznsensation

Look like we're adding a lot more shooters to this year's team. Kobe, Kidd, Miller, Redd, Redick. Last year I remember we needed shooters so badly. Hinrich and Johnson are good but I think with the addition of Kidd pure shooters will get the ball more and lots of open shots. What do you think of our chances?

Quote:

Quote:

Look like we're adding a lot more shooters to this year's team. Kobe, Kidd, Miller, Redd, Redick.

kidd is a shooter?

thtas what I was gonna say. Kidd aint a shooter, but I see the point it is more shooters than last year

Quote:

kidd is a shooter?

His point was Kidd is a great passer but those great passes do no good if there going to guys who can't shoot consistently.

Kidd can only do so much with a group of slashers in a league with a wider lane then the NBA, 3 seconds offesive calls enforced more then the NBA, and no defensive 3 seconds in the key in international competition.

Foreign teams would park two 7 footers under the goal on defense and let them stand there for the duration of the shot clock and just dare our atheletes to make jump shots consistently (which they could not do as good as the international guys).

Now the PGs actually have some people who can knock down a jumper consistently, night in & night out.

I hope this means gold !

Where is Larry Bird / Reggie Miller when you need them ?

Quote:

...Where is Larry Bird / Reggie Miller when you need them ?

Yep...there are more shooters but are they good enough? Problem is - international ball is just a different game than we have developed over here in the NBA. Without standout dominant talent (like the dream team) and with Intl. teams improving all the time...it's not going to be easy.

I sure wouldn't bet a hundred bucks on the U.S. against the field for the gold medal at this point.

Quote:

Kidd can only do so much with a group of slashers in a league with a wider lane then the NBA, 3 seconds offesive calls enforced more then the NBA, and no defensive 3 seconds in the key in international competition.

Foreign teams would park two 7 footers under the goal on defense and let them stand there for the duration of the shot clock and just dare our atheletes to make jump shots consistently (which they could not do as good as the international guys).

Not to mention the size of the court is actually smaller. We can't really use our athleticism and fitness to our advantage. I'm so fed up with other countries talking down the US. I just hope we can bring the glory back to USA.

They really play on a smaller sized basket ball courts too ?

Then it should be called a different name or just call it basketball for people who are not atheltes b/c that is what their rules are designed to do, take way the atheltic traits of the game to benefit less atheltic players. What a crock !

Seems like the only thing that is the same about the NBA and International basketball is the goal is still 10 ft high in both leagues. Besides that there really no more similarities other then the ball being round.

Are you guys trying to be funny? The NBA & NCAA courts are 94x50 feet, the courts in the rest of the world are 92x49 feet, wow what a difference, totally keeps players from using their athleticism. uglyhammer.gif

The only other differences are the length (12 minute quarters - 10 minute quarters), the 3 point line (23'9 - 20'6), under FIBA rules you're allowed to touch the ball if it is above the cylinder and the traveling rules under FIBA rules are more like in the NCAA.

And since every league in the world uses FIBA rules (except NBA & NCAA, but even they have different rules), surely the NBA should have to change the name of their game.

Differences that stands out are smaller courts, zone defenses (no restrictions), shorter 3-point line, jump ball alternate possession(very sissy)in my mind. You don't think these rules are made to keep weaker opponents more competitive? If not then why not standardize these rules across the board. Yes make the college game the same as NBA also.

Another big difference is that you can take the ball off and into the rim; defensively and offensely, respectfully. I think our players need to take advantage of this greatly. How many times in the NBA are baskets allowed or disallowed because someone touched the ball over the rim? It would help our players to realize and remember this rule difference

Quote:

Another big difference is that you can take the ball off and into the rim; defensively and offensely, respectfully. I think our players need to take advantage of this greatly. How many times in the NBA are baskets allowed or disallowed because someone touched the ball over the rim? It would help our players to realize and remember this rule difference

This rule right here really hurt us because it is so instinctual. The more reason why we should standardize the rules.

Actually the USA have changed soccer rules in their league. I don't know if all the rules are still active, but they did play with larger goals so there would be more scoring, they had/have some silly shootout when a match is a draw, I think they even had timeouts at one point.

What are the basketball rules in Canada by the way? Do they play with international rules or with NBA rules?

• Moderators

Quote:

Actually the USA have changed soccer rules in their league. I don't know if all the rules are still active, but they did play with larger goals so there would be more scoring, they had/have some silly shootout when a match is a draw, I think they even had timeouts at one point.

What are the basketball rules in Canada by the way? Do they play with international rules or with NBA rules?

Major League Soccer follows FIFA rules. They don't have expanded goals or anything. They haven't used shootouts to resolve regular season games anytime in this millenium. In the playoffs, they track FIFA rules calling for a pair of fifteen minute, non-golden goal overtimes, followed by penalty kicks if necessary.

Quote:

Differences that stands out are smaller courts, zone defenses (no restrictions), shorter 3-point line, jump ball alternate possession(very sissy)in my mind. You don't think these rules are made to keep weaker opponents more competitive?

Erm, no, not at all, actually that sounds quite silly. The court size difference is minimal, 20 cm, that's 10 cm on both sides. Zone defense makes defense easier but only if the other team can't shoot, so how is that better for a weak team?!? Weak teams are usually weak cause they are not good on offense, so if the other team plays zone defense all the time it doesn't exactly help the weak team. When a team is fundamentally sound then it picks a zone apart like nothing. You could see exactly that during the USA-Serbia group game in the U19 WC a few weeks ago. USA led by 15 or so, then they switched to a zone and Serbia completely destroyed it and cut the lead to 3 or so in no time. International rules don't hurt good teams, they hurt teams that rely heavily on 1-2 star players and have no good team play.

And are you sure that you're up to date with the rules? Cause I know that there are jump balls in international basketball (more than one time I've seen that a short player act injured so a bigger player can lineup for a jump ball mad.gif).

I think it was when MLS restarted sometime in the 90s when they did have bigger goals and the shootouts. Good thing they changed it back, cause those things were quite silly in my opinion. But wait are you sure they didn't have shootouts after the year 1999? Cause I think when Matthäus played for the Metro Stars they still had them, but I could be wrong 100%.

EDIT: Ok, I just found out that they abolished the shootout rule for the 2000 season (although I don't know if they mean after or before the 2000 season).