• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marion wants to move, let's help him

Swatguy

Marion: 'Time for me to move on'

Paul Coro

The Arizona Republic

Sept. 25, 2007 09:30 PM

Shawn Marion trade talk is one thing. A Marion trade request is quite another.

Marion is fed up with another summer of the Suns considering to trade him. Marion is irked that the team is not willing to talk about a contract extension. After eight years in Phoenix, Marion wants to leave the Suns and has let the team know in recent weeks.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion said by phone from his Chicago home Tuesday night. "I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on."

Marion, the highest paid Suns player, has two years remaining on his maximum-level contract - $16.4 million for this year and a $17.8 million salary if he did not opt out before the 2008-09 season. He said the Suns' unwillingness to extend his deal is "only a part of why" he wants to leave but would not confirm that he has asked for a three-year, $60 million extension, saying, "The numbers aren't important."

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr declined comment.

There are two known trade suitors in the Utah Jazz (for Andrei Kirilenko, if not others) and the Los Angeles Lakers (for Lamar Odom and a teammate), with Marion showing an interest in the latter because of a friendship with Kobe Bryant.

"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion said. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the (Kevin) Garnett stuff."

In June, there was the possibility of a three-way trade sending Garnett to Phoenix, a Boston pick package going to Minnesota and Marion to Boston with a contract extension but the Marion camp killed it.

"I haven't done anything wrong," said Marion, a four-time All-Star. "I leave it on the floor night in and night out. Sometimes, it's just time, and it's time to go. "It's been like a nightmare. It hurts me making this phone call. It's hurting me in my stomach."

Marion said he has no problem with any of his teammates but did not want to comment on the Suns staffers, saying, "It's just a bad marriage. I'm not talking about anyone. It's just time for me to go."

He said he has talked to Kerr, Coach Mike D'Antoni and Managing Partner Robert Sarver.

There is a strong possibility that no trade occurs this week and Marion is asked to come to work Monday, the mandatory reporting date, and join the quest for a championship.

"I'll do what I've got to do," Marion said, noting he would show up no sooner than required. "I'm a professional. I'm not bitter. I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."

With Boris Diaw expected to be in today, each Suns player but Marion will be in Phoenix this week for the voluntary workouts. Some, like Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Amaré Stoudemire, have been coming into the arena for weeks.

Marion, 29, pulled himself off the USA Basketball roster for a second straight summer this year. He cited the plantar fasciitis in his left foot ("I played all season with that," Marion said Tuesday) in early July, when talk of his dissatisfaction with the lack of extension talks began to surface.

In Kirilenko and Odom, the Suns are looking at versatile forwards with different skill sets and financial factors.

Kirilenko, who is even more disgruntled with Utah this summer, is a former All-Star coming off a career-worst season, but is a great defender with a knack for shot-blocking. He does not shoot well from the perimeter but is a crafty scorer inside at 6 feet 9 and can run the floor. Kirilenko, 26, is due $63 million over the next four years. That would give Phoenix some instant relief but create later payroll issues.

Odom, who is 6-10 and 27 years old, is a superb passer and good shooter who can play various positions but has been inconsistent, depending on how assertive he plays. Odom has two years remaining on his deal at $13.2 million this season and $14.1 million in 2008-09.

I have the pachage: Marvin, Lue, ansd Zaza for Marion.

munching_out.gif

I may do that move mid way through the season once we see what we got on the floor.

Not sure yet if Horford and Shelden can hold down the center spot by themselves full time. ZaZa is a necesity until we find out.

Marvin is only 21. In the same breath getting a 4 time allstar who can play effectively with Smith as a foward would improve the team now.

I am really hesitant with Marion b/c:

His game is based on raw atheletic ability. That being said, he is 29 and has chronic plantar fasciitis in his left foot (his power jumping foot). Even without this chronic problem Marion only has 2 years of production before he loses atheltic ability and he wants a 4 year committment with big $$$$. I'm also not sure if Marion is AS good as his stats say b/c Phoneix's system has been know to really help his style of play. On anoher team I am not sure if Marion would still average a double a double. The fast pace they play in Phoneix sure does give you alot more oppurtunities for rebounds and more offensive possessions to try and score.

Then again, if Horford shows he is a beast and can play C twice as good as ZaZa and Marvin is the same old Marvin as last year.......Only then do I pull the trigger.

JJ would no if Marion is a good locker room guy or if there is something in Phoneix that just rubs you the wrong way if your name is not Nash or Stoudamire. If we made a move for Marion it would be b/c JJ pushed for it and had a glowing review for Marion.

Quote:

Do you know Marion will likely opt out of his contract after this season? It will take huge contract just to keep him around longer. Trying to re-sign him could end up hurting our chances of keeping Smoove.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/phoenix.htm

absolutely....

Marion is GETTING 20 million...at least thats his plan.

Imagine trying to fill a roster around a 20million marion, Joe Johnson's inflating contract, and a re-signed josh smith.

Quote:

I may do that move mid way through the season once we see what we got on the floor.

Not sure yet if Horford and Shelden can hold down the center spot by themselves full time. ZaZa is a necesity until we find out.

Marvin is only 21. In the same breath getting a 4 time allstar who can play effectively with Smith as a foward would improve the team now.

I am really hesitant with Marion b/c:

His game is based on raw atheletic ability. That being said, he is 29 and has chronic plantar fasciitis in his left foot (his power jumping foot). Even without this chronic problem Marion only has 2 years of production before he loses atheltic ability and he wants a 4 year committment with big $$$$. I'm also not sure if Marion is AS good as his stats say b/c Phoneix's system has been know to really help his style of play. On anoher team I am not sure if Marion would still average a double a double. The fast pace they play in Phoneix sure does give you alot more oppurtunities for rebounds and more offensive possessions to try and score.

Then again, if Horford shows he is a beast and can play C twice as good as ZaZa and Marvin is the same old Marvin as last year.......Only then do I pull the trigger.

JJ would no if Marion is a good locker room guy or if there is something in Phoneix that just rubs you the wrong way if your name is not Nash or Stoudamire. If we made a move for Marion it would be b/c JJ pushed for it and had a glowing review for Marion.

Word up! You covered all the angles... Personally, I want to see how Marvin will come out this year, and I'm also not sure how we would look against some teams (with strong inside presence) without Zaza...

Marion just needs to quit whining, his contract is why he's always in trade talks, not his skills. To me, Marion and Steve Nash give Phoenix it's style of play, move Marion and suddenly you have a different team, maybe better, likely worse. I don't think Marion would fit on the Hawks well (he's another tweener) not factoring in that his contract would pretty much stunt our chance at ever building a strong frontcourt.