• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford Elevates Stock

HawksFan87

Horford Article

Josh Smith, who graduated in the same high school class as Horford, already has the 6-foot-10, 245-pounder pegged for Rookie of the Year honors.

"I think it's pretty obvious he can bang with anybody out there," Smith said. "He's long and extremely skilled around the basket. And he's an incredible rebounder. He's real active, and I think he'll add that toughness down low on our team that we really need. I think he'll make a major impact as soon as he gets on the court." Josh Smith, who graduated in the same high school class as Horford, already has the 6-foot-10, 245-pounder pegged for Rookie of the Year honors.

I am a big guy, and I know I love it when we get a new big guy on our team. For the exact same reasons as Josh Smith is stating. It's just so helpful to have another rebounder out there. It increases the teams efficiency and creates more fast break opportunities.

Also when they are banging down low it opens up more space near the basket for you to operate.

I expect Horford to get a LOT of boards, Smiths rebound numbers to dip a little, and his scoring to jump by 3 or 4 points because of Horfords presence.

Quote:

The Hawks have used top 5 picks in 3 consecutive drafts on guys to compete directly with Smith for minutes yet he doesn't show even a hint of resentment about it. He just continues to impress me.

I know it seems that way but we all know we didn't draft those guys as a slap in the face to Josh.

1)Marvin: We were a 13 win team desperate for a superstar. He was considered player with most star potential. This is before Josh even emerged

2)Shelden: We had the worst interior defense in the NBA and he was the most polished interior defender

3)Horford: Pretty much an upgrade over Shelden with BPA

I think all these guys can co-exist. Who is the odd man out? Maybe King Solomon. Maybe Zaza somewhere down the line. Maybe they all stay

But point is they add depth and having depth is never a bad problem

Agreed, Horf was drafted to play along side Josh Smith, and probably Marvin as well. That front court has the potential to be devastating. All three guys bring complementary games to the court:

Smith's athleticism and explosiveness

Marvin's basketball skills (needs to be aggressive w/them to be effective though)

Horfs interior play, esp rebounding and post pressence.

This is how a front court is built to be a winner.