Vesper

• Premium Member

Sorry Pet Peeve...

Hawks' Jones hits the floor running

Forward, who struggled in summer league, 'looking like a player right now'

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/05/07

Solomon Jones did everything the Hawks asked him to do at the end of his rookie season.

He started working on his body immediately after the season and showed up for his second stint in summer league ready to dominate.

He promptly fell flat on his face at July's Rocky Mountain Revue.

Jones wasn't just bad in Salt Lake City, he was a disaster. He hardly played and when he did, he piled up fouls faster than Kobe Bryant piles up points. And he was pressing, compounding his troubles by worrying about his performance.

But as bad as he was then, the Hawks' 6-foot-11, 235-pound center/power forward has been that good in the first three days of training camp.

Jones has been a revelation so far, wowing those who saw him then and now.

"The press made me have to step up my game," Jones said laughing as he recalled the critical reviews he received in summer league. "I couldn't let you keep roasting me like you were doing in July. But seriously, it was just a matter of getting comfortable again. I did all the work you could do, but I had to get back on the floor to get my confidence back.

"I'm in here feeling confident shooting it, moving laterally, posting up and just playing my game. And my weight is still up and I know I'm stronger. It's all coming together for me at just the right time."

These are the results Jones expected to see in Utah. After working out in Philadelphia with a personal trainer and building his body, Jones thought he was poised for a breakthrough. But he failed to include one crucial component to his workout regimen: playing in full-court games.

Hawks assistant coach Bob Bender noticed it immediately, even before the Hawks wrapped up a mini-camp before leaving for Utah.

"It wasn't a lack of understanding or knowledge," Bender said. "But it just became apparent that his reactions weren't game speed. So I asked him how much he'd been playing five-on-five and he was real honest about it, 'Not at all.'

"And to his credit, he came back and continued his strength and conditioning and skill work. But he also sought out competition and pick-up games all over the place. He'd leave here headed out to play wherever he could find a game."

That extra effort is paying off. With Shelden Williams sidelined for much of training camp with a hamstring injury, Jones has seized his opportunity as the Hawks' develop a more up-tempo approach.

He's a threat to block any shot that goes up around the basket and a vicious finisher at the rim.

"He's looking like a player right now," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "During summer league he struggled big time. He didn't look like a guy who had been through a season of pro ball. But he's made improvements by leaps and bounds since then. He went to two camps in Las Vegas after summer league that really helped him ... and right now, nothing's set in stone. He'll get his chance. I'm looking for guys that want to compete."

An equal opportunity is all Jones can ask for, especially after losing ground the way he did.

"I'm not letting down," said Jones, a second-round draft pick in the 2006 draft who had three games with at least five blocks. "I feel like I'm just as skilled as any of these other bigs we have. I'm not taking a backseat to anybody. And I've got a big heart. I've always been a fighter. It's been a lot of hard work to get back to this point. And I'm not slowing down now."

"I'm not letting down," said Jones, a second-round draft pick in the 2006 draft who had three games with at least five blocks. "I feel like I'm just as skilled as any of these other bigs we have. I'm not taking a backseat to anybody. And I've got a big heart. I've always been a fighter. It's been a lot of hard work to get back to this point. And I'm not slowing down now."

"I feel like I'm just as skilled as any of these other bigs we have. really.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

"I feel like I'm just as skilled as any of these other bigs we have.
really.gif

Well, to be quite honest he did practice against SW most of last year.

W

Quote:

You don't like a player who has confidence in his skills on the court? I think it is great he feels like he should be on the floor as much as Sheldon,Horford and ZaZa. This guy may can't match the other players offensively but you have to love his heart, hustle and commitment to not be just another player on the roster. He wants to be on the floor and has prepared to do so which can only help the Hawks.

Exodus I to would keep Solomon over Sheldon. Natural shot blockers are hard to come by but what Sheldon brings can be replaced by Horford.

Quote:

really.gif

i think what he means is that he has the natural talent of anyone on the roster and more than some. it's a matter of getting his basketball iq skills and basketball moves skills up to par.

Quote:

Quote:

really.gif

i think what he means is that he has the natural talent of anyone on the roster and more than some. it's a matter of getting his basketball iq skills and basketball moves skills up to par.

I concur

Quote:

Solomon without a doubt has the most intriguing game on the roster.

??? Most intriguing game??? Have you seen JJ or JS play?

Aren't you going a little bit too far? Have you seen Josh Smith play? He is not "doubtlessly" "more intriguing" than many of the players in the 12 man roster.

Quote:

Quote:

Solomon without a doubt has the most intriguing game on the roster.

??? Most intriguing game??? Have you seen JJ or JS play?

Aren't you going a little bit too far? Have you seen Josh Smith play? He is not "doubtlessly" "more intriguing" than many of the players in the 12 man roster.

JJ and JSmith are known commodities, not as much curiosity. Perhaps you don't know the word. Solomon has the most to go up the ladder of his potential. the interest is how far has he progressed and how fast will he progress. That is the intrigue. Thus, the interest and curiosity of his game.

Comprende?