What if teams were seeded without conferences?

PoppaFritz

I don't think the NBA should change the current seeding process because I like the tradition and rivalries it builds. But it would be interesting if the teams were ranked 1-16 regardless of their conference.

1.San Antonio vs 16.Milwaukee

8.New Jersey vs 9.Indiana

4.Minnesota vs 13.Pheonix

5.Lakers vs 12.Utah

2.Dallas vs 15.Houston

7.Portland vs 10.Philadelphia

3.Sacramento vs 14.Boston

6.Detroit vs 11.New Orleans

Some interesting things would probably take place:

1. Minnesota would loose to the Lakers any way the playoffs are setup but at least KG would get that 1st round monkey off his back.

2. Houston would make the playoffs. Pushing Orlando into an early summer vacation. Unfortunately, no T-Mac dominating any team in his path, but Yao and Stevie Franchise would get a chance to win one for Rudy T.

3. Intersting 2nd round match up between Detroit and Sacramento. Defense vs Offense. Too bad for fans of hard-nose defense but offense wins out in that battle. (Isn't the old saying "Defense win Championships"? or is that Shaq and Kobe win Championships.)

4. The Final Four would consist of the best four teams, Lakers vs Spurs and Mavs vs Kings. But that's how it looks like the Western Conference semifinals is shaping up any ways. Maybe, the Eastern Conference should be allowed to have their top 2 teams combine their rosters to play the winner of the West.

5. As a side note, I can't wait until Kobe and T-Mac do battle in a 7 game series. Hopefully, Orlando runs the table this year and sets that matchup up.

i thought about that as well...

we should keep tradition. There will be a time when the EAST picks up. But as of right now, the 4 best teams in the league is in the WEST.

having a 1-16 seeded contest would be more competitive though... i think more fans would watch it...

it also gives a chance for 2 western teams to duel it out in the championship... wouldnt a SAC vs LA championship match be more interesting than Sixers/Lakers?

• Premium Member

Who says that the Lakers would beat Utah?

The truth of the matter is that Shaq hasn't had to face the pick in roll in a playoff series since he was last eliminated. He still doesn't play the pick and roll well. This has been the secret that all of LA wants quiet. If the old men wasn't so old, they would dominate the Lakers like in the old days. But even now... That's not a great matchup for the Lakers. The pick and roll forces Shaq to come out of his comfort zone. When that happens, the Lakers lose.

i agree... Utah can pick and roll as much as they want, but when the LAKERS are playing this good.... nothing can stop them.

BTW diesel.... if it was that simple (Pick and Roll = Lakers lose), every team would be using it.

If Shaq does indeed tend to play away from his strengths vs a PICK-AND-ROLL team, what about KOBE? U take half the team down, but the other half is still going strong.

• Admin

Just like they aren't going to win a game against Sacramento. THough I would love to see them take the series, advance and win the title. Just because I want stockton and malone to silence all their life-long critics.

But i'm not dumb. Utah has no chance against Sactown and wouldn't have a chance against the lakers. Say what you want about the lakers. But there were few teams hotter than L.A in teh second half of the season. Had they played at that level all year, they would have held the best record and home court till the finals.

do you really think they have critics? I think it's more of the MJ factor - the same one that kept Barkley, 'Nique (stretch), Ewing and others from attaining the brass ring.

Looks like Hudson/KG had career games tonight...

LA took they're best shot tonight.I expect the

Lakers to take the next 4 from Minnesota.I'd love

to see MINN beat them, but it ain't going to

happen.