• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Docs, Future Docs, Fellow ACL Injurers...

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

While I have treated many ACL patients, I just had my own ACL reconstructed (also meniscectomy and some general "clean-up) after a basketball injury. It is truly a painful Sx and early recovery. Just remember that all you Docs in here (as we seem to have a few in our forum ranks). Any 1st hand advice beyond the usual PTA knowledge?

W

Do you know if you had a cadaver tendon graft or if they took a strip of your patellar tendon as the graft?

As you know, some use part of the hamstring, but I've never actually seen that. I've been in on a couple of cadaver grafts and patellar tendon grafts.

I assume that, because you didn't mention it, that the MCL/LCL were not damaged in the accident and that the meniscal damage was due to general wear and tear?

walt,

regardless of the exact type of procedure you had, at this point you have one main enemy: unwanted inflammation.

if you are a fairly young guy with good renal function, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) would be you best choice for pain control because they also inhibit the cascade that leads to inflammation. you might try ibuprofen 400 to 600 mg every six to eight hours.

if the pain is still unbearable, you could try adding tylenol or a lortab (prescription), but these meds will help mainly with pain and less with inflammation.

also, be sure to participate in any physical therapy that you physicians may have prescribed!

good luck rehab-ing!

flava

Some of the more popular anti inflammatory drugs out there are the cox 2 inhibitors (Celebrex, Viox, and Bextra). These are prescription strength drugs, but from what some people who have taken them have said, they work well. It seems that these have less of a tendency to upset your stomach like major doses of Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen, and Fenoprofen do. IMO, Naprosyn is the worst when it comes to upset stomachs.

Get well soon!! There is no such thing as minor surgery

when it happens to the person being cut on.

We have some great surgeons in our area, around Atlanta

and Asheville. Good hospital nearby in Sylva.

Do try to do what you're told and don't try to be too

macho and overdo it and mess up what has been done.

Again, GET WELL SOON !!!!