• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I HATE to say it but...

TexasPete

• Premium Member

Quote:

Of course if we trade for him that brings up the issue of resigning him. He will be a rfa next summer. resigning Calderon and Smith would obviously put us over the cap.

The Hawks sit at $40M excluding Smith and Childress. If you exchange Calderon for Childress, you're only adding a couple of million at most.

I'd say you could easily re-sign Calderon and Smith. It's the summer of 2009 that will be tricky.

Quote:

I LOVE Calderon...but the Raps aren't parting with him. They like that 1-2 punch with Ford and Calderon too much.

Calderon is up tempo and gets the ball where it needs to be. Plus, he can knock down shots all day. Calderon would turbo charge our offense.

We aren't getting him.

The thing is, im willing to give up almost anyone outside of Joe, Marv, Smoove and Horford to get him.

Im wanting this guy to be our main pg for the next 4-5 years. I think he's that good.

Hopefully BK is at least looking into it. The problem is, Colangelo is such a great GM, there's no way we get him easily or for cheap.

But man, would he help us.

I also don't know how happy Calderon is coming off the bench and backing up TJF. He still gets a lot of minutes so that isn't necessarily the issue. But a player like him would likely want to start because he's good enough.

I have been under the assumption that the Raps GM loved Calderon because he said repeatedly over the summer that he wasnt going anywhere even though they had two good PG's and needs elsewhere.

I want a PG that defends at least reasonably well because I'm tired of other guards in our paint.

We need to clean up/beef up our PG spot. Trim some fat (Lue and/or AJ) and trade one of our forwards for a front line PG. No, not like Luke Ridnour or Earl Watson.

Quote:

Quote:

Of course if we trade for him that brings up the issue of resigning him. He will be a rfa next summer. resigning Calderon and Smith would obviously put us over the cap.

The Hawks sit at $40M excluding Smith and Childress. If you exchange Calderon for Childress, you're only adding a couple of million at most.

I'd say you could easily re-sign Calderon and Smith. It's the summer of 2009 that will be tricky.

That would be a perfect scenario for me.

Quote:

Did you know that the word "marquee" is most likely an typo of the word "marquise" in French? You didn't?

No i just knew it didn't look right.

Quote:

I agree about Calderon, but I'm not sure how willing the Raptors are to trade him. (By contrast, I'm sure Philly would be itching to dump Miller for expirings). I also think you could get away with a Calderon/Law backcourt in short spurts.

The thing is, the Raptors need a SF who can defend and a PF who can rebound. Sounds familiar, huh? The other thing of note is that Garbajosa, Calderon's good buddy, is not happy with the Raptors at the moment b/c of playing time. He'd give you another shooter off the bench.

I proposed this trade on RealGM and most thought the Hawks were giving up too much (for a change):

AJ/Childress/Shelden -for- Calderon/Garbajosa/Graham

Calderon/Law/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Graham

Smith/Garbajosa/Jones

Horford/Zaza

IR: Wright, Claxton, West

Man, Id do that deal in a heartbeat. We'd be MUCH improved.

Again, Calderon is a guy I'd be happy giving a 5-year contract. He's gonna be a great pg in this league (and he's EXACTLY what we need out of the position). Plus, he's 6 3', 210... so BK should like that.

• Premium Member

I actually think Atlanta and Toronto could make good trading partners if the two GM's aren't obsessed with screwing each other.

Atlanta has two guys who would make decent backup PG's (Lue or AJ), a defensive SF in Childress, and a rebounding PF in Shelden.

Toronto has the starting-caliber, pass-first PG with experience (Calderon is a winner), some expendable PF's to replace Shelden (Garbo, Humphries, etc.), and some expendable wings to replace Childress (Delfino, Graham).

And that's why it will never happen.

Quote:

I actually think Atlanta and Toronto could make good trading partners if the two GM's aren't obsessed with screwing each other.

Atlanta has two guys who would make decent backup PG's (Lue or AJ), a defensive SF in Childress, and a rebounding PF in Shelden.

Toronto has the starting-caliber, pass-first PG with experience (Calderon is a winner), some expendable PF's to replace Shelden (Garbo, Humphries, etc.), and some expendable wings to replace Childress (Delfino, Graham).

And that's why it will never happen.

Great points.

BK HAS to go after it. This team will continue to be dysfunctional on offense until we get what we need out of the PG position.

And, there just happens to be a backup pg who provides basically EVERYTHING we need. It's time to balance this roster.

Oh, and getting Garbajosa in a deal would be great. He does the scrappy things every team needs. Plus, he can shoot.

The Raps and Gorbajosa have a little feud going on right now. After he broke his leg he still played for the Spanish national team and that really pissed off the team. They did everything in their power to get him to reconsider but he still played.

Now, he claims he's healthy and they claim he isn't 100%. He's complaining and they are telling him they will play him when the time is right, when he's right. With every passing game he gets more frustrated.

I wonder if they would put him in a deal. But, I also wonder if he's totally healthy.

In any event, the Hawks need two good PG's...Lue, Speedy, and AJ have no future and really no present. If we have to part with Chill and Shelden, along with Lue, that might help both teams.

Even Andre Miller would help tutor Law for a couple of years and would be a veteran presence that the players would respond to...I'm not worried about clearing cap space for them if we can match on Smoove, and I think we will match any deal.

Quote:

I think one of the problems with Law is that he won't shoot it sometimes. He does the pump fake, drive and pass. If you're open, shoot it.

Agreed...we were down 10 halfway through the 4th quater and we were playing slow deliberate offense (?). I was yelling "Shoot the ball!"...realizing that we needed at least 6- 8 posessions and a few stops to make it close.

We played into their hands and stalled it out for them. banghead.gif