• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I HATE to say it but...

TexasPete

We still need a PG and we need one now. Can Acie be a solid PG? Yes. Is he the PG of the future? Absolutely. But right now we need a veteran PG that can run and direct the offense. I get the sense that JJ and others have gotten into Acie's head about getting them the ball. I read a quote where Acie said that JJ was all over him for "missing" him against the Celtics...yeah, Joe, you don't shoot enough and need more?

Anyway, Acie could use a good solid PG to learn from during the next year or two and then the job is all his. But, we STILL have a bad situation at the PG spot.

Speedy is not a distributor and will be hurt forever. AJ is an aging backup PG that is not a solution for a playoff contender. And Lue blows.

So, in the short term, we are back to square one. We have a rookie not quite ready, a bad free agent who is hurt, and two other backups that suck and are beyond helping.

BK STILL hasn't figured out the PG spot and it remains a big problem. We need a vet to make things go, a guy who gets the ball into the hands of the player in best position to score. If Lue keeps playing we have no chance.

We definitely need a PG to run our offense. That said, what offense will they run? Woody's? It's more of Woody's system than our PG problems IMO.

The only PGs that could succeed in this system are ELITE PGs. With this horrible offensive system, we need Kidd, Nash, Paul or Deron to run it. An average PG will fail.

• Premium Member

The vet that makes the most sense is Andre Miller. He can distribute, play D, and run the (laugh now) offense. The problem is his lack of range. But let's look at the current slew's 3 pt. success for comparison's sake:

Lue 6-15

Salim 2-7

Law 2-8

AJ 0-0

Claxton 0-0

[bTW, JJ 10-39 and Smith 3-14]

The problem is that JJ remains the best PG on the roster. Miller makes the most sense, but the Hawks desperately need someone else who can hit the 3 without being the defensive sieve that Lue is.

• Premium Member

Quote:

No, he can't play D, at all.

I obviously disagree, but because defense is so subjective, there's no point in us arguing.

And I don't agree with you either, ex. Whatever PG the Hawks trade for would likely have at least one PG going the other way, leaving only Law and whichever of Lue/AJ stays. Claxton and Salim don't count.

Woody's "offense" is just painful to watch. The whole up tempo thing is a joke. The sickening thing is that the ASG just watch as we hardly ever run. It seems like everybody says were an up tempo team, even Woody, but we rarely run.

If Acie doesn't grow up within the next couple of weeks we are looking at a large hole.

Lue is rapidly proving that he can't even be a decent backup.

What i am saying is that it just wont happen.

With the current ownership situation do you really think they would take on Miller contract right before they have to resign Smith and then Marvin?

If we do trade for anyone it will be a bench player who isn't playing much, like AJ.

I think tonights game will force Woodson to sink or swim playing Acie big minutes.

we don't need a point guard...

we need a better coach...

and players that let the PG run the show instead of play 1 on one.

we have no offensive organization and heave up a bunch of horrible shots...

its sad to watch...

we didn't even run today and i kept yelling for us to run run run and push the ball up...

i don't know what this team is doing...seems to me they have some chemistry and attitude issues at times.

• Premium Member

Quote:

With the current ownership situation do you really think they would take on Miller contract right before they have to resign Smith and then Marvin?

Yes, because:

1. The team's marquis acquisition is asking for a veteran.

2. Miller makes closer to $6M next year because of a huge signing bonus he was paid at the beginning of his contract, so he's not as tough a sell as it appears on paper.

3. Miller's contract ends before Marvin's new one will start.

When you subtract the $3-4M that Miller's bonus frees up and the $2M that JJ's does, the Hawks would only be looking at $44M or so before re-signing the Joshes. (I'm also not convinced that Childress will be retained).

I've said it ad nauseum, and it keeps getting reinforced with every Raptors game I watch (im up in Canada).

Jose Calderon would be perfect for this team. He's a tenacious defender, a pure pg who is extremely unselfish and is a true playmaker. He also can hit the open shot with ease and has a never give-up attitude. Better yet, he's an up-tempo type pg who loves to run.

In fact, I really think he'd be a better long-term fit than Law. In many ways, he'd do for us what Nash does for PHX (obviously not to the same elite extent). I say this b/c he would bring the best out of our other players.

The problem we have is we need a true playmaker who can set up our talented wings. Smoove, Marv and Chill all are not great at creating for themselves. However, they're very good at scoring when someone sets them up.

Basically, to make this team excel, we need this out of our pg:

- can play up-tempo

- can get the ball to our wings in positions where they can score effctively (i.e. the pg playing the set-up man).

- can occasionally hit open outside shots to make the defense pay for collapsing on our driving, athletic wings

- can play feisty D

- can be a steadying force on offense (i.e. the offense runs through him, providing consistency).

Jose Calderon fits the bill so well its ridiculous.

Maybe it's just cause I watch all the Raptors games as well as the Hawks, so I get a chance to see him play a lot, but this kid is FOR REAL.

And, I know it would cost a decent amount to get him (and I wouldnt think about including any of Joe, Smoove, Horford or Marvin), but I do think we should be talking to them. Cuz', like i said, I really think he would do more for us than Law in the long-run (not just this year).

No knock to Law (he'll be good in his own right), I just think a Calderon-type pg would be a bit better of a fit.

Quote:

When you subtract the $3-4M that Miller's bonus frees up and the $2M that JJ's does, the Hawks would only be looking at $44M or so before re-signing the Joshes.

What could we trade them that would be of any interest at all?

Plus we would be giving them the green light to go after Smith.

Quote:

marquis

uglyhammer.gif

That wasn't quite as bad as AHF. He had my all time favorite typo. He meant to say rapport and came up with rapore.

Quote:

we don't need a point guard...

we need a better coach...

and players that let the PG run the show instead of play 1 on one.

we have no offensive organization and heave up a bunch of horrible shots...

its sad to watch...

we didn't even run today and i kept yelling for us to run run run and push the ball up...

i don't know what this team is doing...seems to me they have some chemistry and attitude issues at times.

Wow!

Can I have your autograph? I now know that I am not alone in the Universe.

Excellent job Sir!

Quote:

Jose Calderon would be perfect for this team

I like Calderon and was hoping the Hawks could make a deal for him last summer. I think he would be perfect here but i am not sure what it would take to get him here.

They didn't seem to want Childress but they did want Marvin which obviously wasn't happening.

• Premium Member

I agree about Calderon, but I'm not sure how willing the Raptors are to trade him. (By contrast, I'm sure Philly would be itching to dump Miller for expirings). I also think you could get away with a Calderon/Law backcourt in short spurts.

The thing is, the Raptors need a SF who can defend and a PF who can rebound. Sounds familiar, huh? The other thing of note is that Garbajosa, Calderon's good buddy, is not happy with the Raptors at the moment b/c of playing time. He'd give you another shooter off the bench.

I proposed this trade on RealGM and most thought the Hawks were giving up too much (for a change):

AJ/Childress/Shelden -for- Calderon/Garbajosa/Graham

Calderon/Law/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Graham

Smith/Garbajosa/Jones

Horford/Zaza

IR: Wright, Claxton, West

I'm a fan of Calderon too...but wishing and wanting for players is a far cry from actually getting them...

all I'm saying is look...

even if you put CP3 or Deron Williams in this offense...

and let Woody coach them from their rookie years...

they aren't going to be as effective as they are now...

because...

woody pulls law after 14 minutes...when he has 5 assists and 0 turnovers...

who cares if he missed 4 shots...

joe missed NINE three-point shots...

woody doesn't run the offense thru law...

woody seems to say hey guys get open and run around and do something...

some of this is the players fault...but i have never seen such sad PICKS and SCREENS in my life...

we don't play as a team on offense...

we play pickup ball on offense...

and because Law isn't allowed to assert himself......

it seems like we need a PG...

even the report on AJC after the game...Woody said that he needs more consistency at the PG spot...

I don't understand... how can you get consistency...if you yank your learning rookie PG because

1. you are afraid of him losing confidence

2. he misses a few shots

3. because you are mike woodson.

number 1 - if you keep yanking him after he misses a few shots...after he plays good defense and does everything else well... THEN YOU ARE GOING TO KILL HIS CONFIDENCE.

number 2 - mistakes come and go...but you don't endear yourself to building confidence if you don't trust your player to play more than 14 minutes in the game.

number 3 - we don't even use the PG much in our offense when Law is out of the game...and then it turns into a bunch of 1 on 1 unorganized bad shooting...

Quote:

They like that 1-2 punch with Ford and Calderon too much

That isn't what i heard from Raps fans. they say he is going to be too expensive to resign considering they already have Ford.

Of course if we trade for him that brings up the issue of resigning him. He will be a rfa next summer. resigning Calderon and Smith would obviously put us over the cap.

• Premium Member

Quote:

marquis

Quote:

uglyhammer.gif

That wasn't quite as bad as AHF. He had my all time favorite typo. He meant to say rapport and came up with rapore.

I've killed a French word. Good for me.

Did you know that the word "marquee" is most likely an typo of the word "marquise" in French? You didn't? Aren't you glad you've brought it up. grin.gif