• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody's Uptempo...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

"I barely said a word that you couldn't repeat in front of children," Woodson said after coaxing his team from a 21-point deficit to the win. "I just reminded these guys how fun it is to play the way we played in the second half.
I know they want to run and score points.
But you have to defend and rebound first. You do that first, and everything else falls into place."

It sounds like Woody cares less about the offense. Yall can do whatever you want to do as long as you play my defense first?

Where's Del Harris or Paul Westhead!!

Quote:

Quote:

"I barely said a word that you couldn't repeat in front of children," Woodson said after coaxing his team from a 21-point deficit to the win. "I just reminded these guys how fun it is to play the way we played in the second half.
I know they want to run and score points.
But you have to defend and rebound first. You do that first, and everything else falls into place."

It sounds like Woody cares less about the offense. Yall can do whatever you want to do as long as you play my defense first?

Where's Del Harris or Paul Westhead!!

It sounds to me like a coach that KNOWS how to win. Defense wins in every sport. You know that. Don't you?

When a team is shooting lights out, what do you expect them to do, try to outscore them in the next half by shooting 90% from the field? Hey, I dislike Woody as much (if not more) than the next guy, but some halves require more offense than defense and vice-versa. And I'm certainly not ready to complain after a road win.

I think it's as simple as acknowledging (and preaching, by the coach) that if your defense creates low shooting percentages and steals, and if you rebound missed shots, there are more opportunities to run and have easy scoring opportunities.

On the other hand, it's difficult to run if the other team scores easily and gets second opportunities through offensive rebounds.

It worked, why so many complaints?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think it's as simple as acknowledging (and preaching, by the coach) that if your defense creates low shooting percentages and steals, and if you rebound missed shots, there are more opportunities to run and have easy scoring opportunities.

On the other hand, it's difficult to run if the other team scores easily and gets second opportunities through offensive rebounds.

It worked, why so many complaints?

I've been saying this since the season started. The Hawks problems have be defensive! Improve our defense, we win well over half our games!

• Premium Member

It's not even about defense. It's about his seemingly uncaring attitude about offense.

"I know you guys want to run. Play defense and you can run."

I hope his plan for uptempo is much more than just "Ok guys go ahead and run."...

I just get the feeling in most of the quotes I hear from Woody that he has pushed offense off on a guy like Herb and as long as the offense doesn't interfere with the defense, he could care less what they do.

The problem is that in order to be a uptempo team, you actually have to have a game plan of running instilled in both offense and defense.

Nobody is saying forsake the defense. However, what I am saying is give an uptempo offense a little more respect than " I know you guys want to run."... Huh? It almost makes it sound like running the uptempo offense is a reward and not the way it is?

• Premium Member

Quote:

However, what I am saying is give an uptempo offense a little more respect

Whatever! This team should not be 25th or worse in field goal percentage allowed, causing turn overs or assist allow. This team should be one of the better defensive teams in the league. Until that happens, they will be inconsistent. You just can't go out there and try to out score everyone. San Antonio knew it and so did Cleveland! Boston knows it this year!

Quote:

...It worked, why so many complaints?

It's our job, yard tongue.gif

Seriously though, I tend to agree that we could hold a team to 75 points - but lose 75 to 65, and Woody would praise the defense and just say we weren't hitting our shots. I saw some good midwestern Holiday Touney High School basketball over the weekend and saw at least three offenses that were far superior to Woody's.

Quote:

Fair enough.

Clearly, offense (and uptempo, specifically) is not Woody's comfort zone. I give him some credit for moving in that direction this season.

On paper, it looks like we should be able to run with any team. However, the reality is this team can't run. Roles aren't define and we're not that good finishing in transition.

• Premium Member

You are correct. I think the thinking of uptempo in Atl is running. The thinking seems to be get the ball up the floor quickly and get into your offense. That's not uptempo. Uptempo requires stamina, attention to roles, discipline, and wings who can finish. We have the stamina (depth), we have the wings who can finish... but we don't have the attention to roles or the discipline. I think it's mainly because Woody is not an uptempo coach so he really doesn't care what they do offensively.

Quote:

You are correct. I think the thinking of uptempo in Atl is running. The thinking seems to be get the ball up the floor quickly and get into your offense. That's not uptempo. Uptempo requires stamina, attention to roles, discipline, and wings who can finish. We have the stamina (depth), we have the wings who can finish... but we don't have the attention to roles or the discipline. I think it's mainly because Woody is not an uptempo coach so he really doesn't care what they do offensively.

To look at an uptempo game, one need to look no further than the Phoenix Suns. Phoenix is a very discipline team. Every players know their roles. Hell, even Marion knows what he has to do in transition and that is to run down the floor as fast as he can and either catch a pass for a score or an ally oop for the monster dunk. I really have to agree with Diesel that Woody really don't care offensively or has the slightest idea how to run one.