• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jose Calderon

koncak

Yeah, some of us have really been touting Calderon for awhile now. The problem is, now that he's producing at such a high level as a starter, it would be prohibitively expensive to get him.

I think our best chance is to get him in a S&T this offseason (he's a restricted FA). I would think that Toronto is gonna have to deal one of Ford or Calderon, as they cant afford to put all their money in the pg position. I fully expect Calderon to get a deal in the 40 million range (maybe even in the 50s).

Quote:

Quote:

Well, it's clear to most of us that he'd be a great addition to this team, but it's also the belief among many of us that he'd cost a lot more than the Hawks are likely to give up.

What do you think it would cost?

In the offseason, I thought a deal centered around Chill would work.

But, at this point, I doubt that gets it done, and Colangelo would be wanting a Marvin, Smoove, Horf. Which I wouldn't do personally.

Chill + Acie for Calderon + Graham/Kapono could maybe work (they need a suitable backup for oft-injured Ford... and Lue and AJ dont qualify)

• Premium Member

Quote:

What do you think it would cost?

He'll be BYC this summer, so it will be awfully hard to get a S&T worked out. Plus, when you factor in the fact that Smith and Childress will not be (realistically) eligible to be traded, and that JJ and Horford are off-limits, you're looking at either Marvin or Acie. (Shelden won't be enough IMHO).

To trade for him now would take a couple of these assets: Childress, Acie, Shelden and a 2010 1st rounder.

Personally, I think Childress/AJ/Salim/2010 1st (top 10 protected) -for- Calderon/Graham/Dixon is a deal the Hawks can afford to do. You're basically exchanging Childress/1st -for Calderon, which is fair IMO. And it's not like the Hawks will be needing any additional young players, so they can afford to give up another 1st rounder.

Next year's lineup:

Calderon/Acie/?/Claxton

JJ/?/West

Marvin/Graham

Smith/Shelden

Horford/Zaza/Jones

In reality, Chris Duhon might be a much more realistic option, since he's unrestricted.

First let me admit it took me longer to come around on Calderon then most of you. Last year he was very tentative and afraid to shoot. Eventully he got confidence that his game transfers to the NBA and he really turned it on the last half of last season.

Toronto isn't trading Calderon now. Why would they ?

Their other PG is TJ Ford. He is a frai 5'11'' 165 lbs with a spinal cord condition that causes his spine to narrow. Dr.'s have advised him that if he falls the wrong way it could paralyze him. Remember his fall in college that left him paralyzed for a day or so. Not to mention his lack o size already makes him vunlerable to injury.

Calderon is a 6'3'' PG who can start and or be the perfect compliment and insurance policy to the injury prone Ford.

Why would they trade him ?

The time has passed to obtain this guy. No way I trade Law, fillers and ANOTHER 1st rounder for him. His market value is too high. I'd rather turn the attention back to Blake or Jack in Portland b/c he could be had for a lot less. Ridnour and Miller are more expensive salary options.

Acie is the truth. Let his ankle heal and lets see what we have in him before we go trading him off with future draft picks.

Quote:

Personally, I think Childress/AJ/Salim/2010 1st (top 10 protected) -for- Calderon/Graham/Dixon is a deal the Hawks can afford to do. You're basically exchanging Childress/1st -for Calderon, which is fair IMO.

Id love that deal, but I dont think its enough (I wish it was). I think Chill plus Acie is way more realistic. That way, they get a highly capable young backup in Acie and get the athletic wing in Chill that they need.

I have to think that Colangelo values Calderon highly. Plus, he really is a fan favorite.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why would they trade him ?

Because playing Calderon AND Ford together isn't realistic, so it would be a better use of their resources to trade one of them for a starting wing.

Unfortunately, I don't think Childress is enough at this point, and I'm not sure how much they would value a future 1st rounder from the Hawks.

Like I said, I think Chris Duhon is a much more realistic target.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think Chill plus Acie is way more realistic.

That's too much for Atlanta because of Calderon's FA status. (Restricted or not, his value is not as good once he signs a lucrative contract).

Now, if you expanded the deal to include someone like Anthony Parker or Jason Kapono, then you'd have a base to work with.

if you guys watch teh games...

the pg doesn't do anything but stand around after making the initial pass....

even if u bring in deron williams or cp3...

it wouldnt help

because all they do is hand the ball off to horford top of the key...

pass it around to joe...

or marvin

or j smoove

and the pg doesnt really touch the ball that long...

the only "pg" we have that touches the ball at lot... and dribbles around and stuff is t. lue...

the other one we have is JJ...because basically he's playing the pg and running the offense...

we might as well play a lights out shooter next to jj if he's going to be handling the ball a lot...instead of have anthony johnson stand around doing nothing...

Quote:

Quote:

I think Chill plus Acie is way more realistic.

That's too much for Atlanta because of Calderon's FA status. (Restricted or not, his value is not as good once he signs a lucrative contract).

Now, if you expanded the deal to include someone like Anthony Parker or Jason Kapono, then you'd have a base to work with.

Actually, Ive been tinkering with some deals, and getting Parker (especially) or Kapono back in any deal would be great for us. We need 1-2 more outside shooters, and both those guys fit the bill.

Still, we value Marv, Smoove, Horf and Joe very highly, and they value Calderon and Parker pretty highly.

A deal centered around Chill for Calderon is obviously the ideal one, it's just hard to give them enough value without also including Acie.

Quote:

oken, part of the reason many of us want Calderon is his ability to lead the fast break AND hit the open 3.

Of course, Duhon could do that, too. As could Steve Blake, for that matter.

I hope Law can be that guy for us.

I am more then willing to let his ankle heal before I go jumping to conclusions.

• Admin

I think Barbosa is an excellent player but he is not really a pg. He is a scorer...an excellent scorer but he doesn't really get others involved. This team really needs someone who can lead them...get others involved and make this 'group' become a team.