• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Moore Bashes the Hawks

TheDude

This article is one big thumbs down. What an idiot. Just think for a minute. Would our team be better with Conley or Horford right now? I think we would be winless if Conley was on the team. Imagine Shelden/Solomon at the center position. Zaza doesn't count since he has been injured. That is a scary thought. uglyhammer.gif

I'm no fan of Moore's but there's nothing insane with either statement. First of all he's not actually saying that they are playing to get Woody fired. It was more of a half-hearted theme to the article addressing the recent rumors. Besides, teams have done that before.

Secondly, the argument for taking Conley obviously would not have been for this year. It would have been a gamble to try to get a legit franchise-PG, which we pretty much know Law won't be (as much as I like him). Even Memphis knew Conley wouldn't be getting minutes for a while when they drafted him. Both rookies have been awesome, and I think we got a stud PF and a playmaking PG. And we probably got the most cumulative talent we could get with both picks. But we're still left with the 2 holes we've had throughout the BK era, no distributor and no center. I'm certainly not saying we screwed up, but it is far from insane to say that we maybe should have tried to get a potential franchise PG, even though it turns out he got injured.

I didn't like his criticism of Woody. The problem with Woody is not that he clashes with players. Not even close. The problem is that he is a completely inept coach with no offensive system, horrible substitutions, etc...

Yeah, I think if anything, Woody No Goody has the players' loyalty (quizzical looks from AJ notwithstanding.) Unfortunately, I would chalk it up to Stockholm Syndrome.

I think that he said out loud, printed the whole question if the players are trying to get him fired is huge. There are levels to reality: whispers, rumors, etc and then when it is said out loud it changes things. Seems to me it will make that reality more evident to BK and the AS that something needs to be done or it will free them up to move on and play up to their potential.

I would have loved to been there when Woody was asked the question. His response seemed to substantiate the question? There has been an elephant in the front room of the Hawks for a long time and Moore called it as it is.

Having that in the press has to grate on the nerves of BK and the AS.

If Law is a playmaking pointguard, would he not be a franchise point? We don't necessarily need a yearly allstar at the point but do need someone who is good. Can drive, shoot and most importantly play defense. And I think Law can be that. And even though Horford is not a prototypical center, he has played very well there and is better than many centers in the league already.

I try to stay away from framed images of what is the official way of having a position and focus on seeing actual abilities on the court. If Horford ends up being one of the better centers in the league will we continue to say that we need a center just because he's not prototypical?

What we really need on this team is consistent effort and some semblance of a constant offensive scheme. The pg would help with the latter yes but Law hasnt played much and I think he will get there. I'm not saying we're perfect, but I am saying these weaknesses that we keep talking about quietly seem to be getting better.

When Moore talks about not getting a franchise point, once we didnt get cp3 or deron IN THAT ONE DRAFT, that's it. If we really need to get one, it's not through the draft, we need a veteran (talented one) to help bring Law along but at the same time play well for us. Law isnt that far away, we've got our franchise point, he just needs time to develop.

Quote:

If Horford ends up being one of the better centers in the league will we continue to say that we need a center just because he's not prototypical?

No matter how good horford becomes at C we will still need someone to split time with him there. Do you think Zaza or Shelden fit the bill? I don't since neither can play D against bigger post players or deter players from driving on us.

ideally i would like to see us get a center with size who can play d so we can have a rotation at the 4/5 of

New Guy

Smith

Horford

I don't see what is so controversial about that. Lebron, Wade and Howard all like to score by attacking the rim. Therefore interior D is a huge key to our playoff hopes. Zaza and Shelden really don't fit.

Quote:

If Law is a playmaking pointguard, would he not be a franchise point? We don't necessarily need a yearly allstar at the point but do need someone who is good.

A franchise PG means a franchise player type, like Jason Kidd, and like Chris Paul seems to be. A guy who is just "good" is (by definition) not a franchise player. Law looks like he's going to be a nice player, definitely starter material, but not the type of guy you build a team around. Any team would rather have a PG that can really run the show and get everyone involved if they have the choice.

Quote:

a legit franchise-PG, which we pretty much know Law won't be (as much as I like him).

I don't understand this argument. What do you mean "we pretty much know he won't be"?? That's not true at all.

Quote:

Even Memphis knew Conley wouldn't be getting minutes for a while when they drafted him.

Most people actually expected Conley to get minutes this year. Not be the starting PG of course, but he was definitely expected to play more than he has.

Quote:

no distributor and no center.

I agree that Horford isn't a full-time center, but he will be able to log 15-20 minutes there throughout his career.

Quote:

Quote:

If Horford ends up being one of the better centers in the league will we continue to say that we need a center just because he's not prototypical?

No matter how good horford becomes at C we will still need someone to split time with him there. Do you think Zaza or Shelden fit the bill? I don't since neither can play D against bigger post players or deter players from driving on us.

ideally i would like to see us get a center with size who can play d so we can have a rotation at the 4/5 of

New Guy

Smith

Horford

I don't see what is so controversial about that. Lebron, Wade and Howard all like to score by attacking the rim. Therefore interior D is a huge key to our playoff hopes. Zaza and Shelden really don't fit.

Although I totally agree with DocHawk, I also agree with this concerning Horford. Horford will only get better, and if he averages one more point a game, he wiil be averaging a double-double. Did you hear that, a DOUBLE-DOUBLE! It looks to me that he will be able to be our long-term solution at Center, but we DESPERATELY need someone who can come in for him and play great Interior D. Period. That has alwayss been a problem for us, and will continue to be until we get that guy. He doesn't need to be an All-Star, he just needs to be good who can come in for 10-15 MPG and hold down the Paint.

Zaza doesnt count, even if he wasnt injured. For a big man, he has to be one of the softest players EVER. Shelden is too undersized, Solomon doesnt get enough chances, so who is left? Lorenzen Wright is straight garbage. Our PG situation will be fine once Law comes into his own, but until we get that guy who can come off the bench and clog the middle, we will continue to struggle with our Interior Defense.

Quote:

A franchise PG means a franchise player type, like Jason Kidd, and like Chris Paul seems to be. A guy who is just "good" is (by definition) not a franchise player. Law looks like he's going to be a nice player, definitely starter material, but not the type of guy you build a team around. Any team would rather have a PG that can really run the show and get everyone involved if they have the choice.

Oh ok I see what you meant by that quote, but franchise PGs aren't needed to win a championship. Obviously it would be great to have one, but it's not essential. A good PG that can play D and run the offense well is enough.

Not only that, Conley just doesn't have "Franchise" talent IMO. He'll never be a shooter which will always deter him, and he doesn't have the vision of Kidd/Nash, and vision isn't something that you just develop. It's why it's extremely rare for players to improve their passing, it's a given mental ability. Conley's max potential is Tony Parker IMO, who is not a franchise PG.