• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

3:10 to Yuma

Plainview1981

Alot of people had problems with the very end of this movie, but I didn't. If you pay attention throughout the movie, the actions of Ben Wade makes more sense. I would change some scenes and somethings about the movie, but overall I thought it delivered what it was supposed to.

8/10

SPOILERS:

I would make the scene where Bale (supposed to be on one leg)is running with Wade on the roof look more real. I would make Fonda's character look just alittle more hurt. He recovered from a most likely life threatening injury way too fast and easy. I would also cut out the little bit where Dan and Wade struggle and fight right before they get to the train.

That part was totally not needed and it made the movie less believable at the very end.

Quote:

This was a major breakout role for him and I feel like he acted circles around Bale and Mr Fightin Round the World. Other than the role that Foster played the movie was pretty dull and the ending was VERY predictable.

Dull and Predictable? Didn't you think Ghost Rider was a good movie? Talk about dull and predictable. Oh, and terribly acted.

Ben Foster's over the top performance was entertaining, but so far he has been a one trick pony of an actor. He played the same character in Hostage and Alpha Dog. Which were not really good movies either.

I still believe Bale had the best performance. He delivered what the movie called far, a rancher that really isn't alot more than that. This is the type of character a Kevin Costner might try to play, but he would turn the character in a typical white knight.

You have me confused with someone else. I HATED Ghost Rider.

I don't know what you are talking about, Alpha Dog was a good movie for what it was and Foster did a great job in that. I wasn't a fan of Hostage and it's been so long since I have seen that I don't even remember him in it.

Again, the ending was VERY predictable in 3:10. I saw it was 4 other people and halfway through the movie all of us agreed how it would end and we were dead on.

Quote:

You have me confused with someone else. I HATED Ghost Rider.

I don't know what you are talking about, Alpha Dog was a good movie for what it was and Foster did a great job in that. I wasn't a fan of Hostage and it's been so long since I have seen that I don't even remember him in it.

Again, the ending was VERY predictable in 3:10. I saw it was 4 other people and halfway through the movie all of us agreed how it would end and we were dead on.

Sorry.

Alpha Dog was a pretty boring and fairly pointless movie. It's just a bunch of kids playing dress up more or less. Sharon Stone was probably one of the worst. If it wasn't for Basic Instinct, her career wouldn't have gone on this long.

Die Hard is predictable... King Kong is predictable... The Fugitive is predictable... Batman Begins is predictable... I could go on and on about how many good movies are predictable.

Alpha Dog was a true story that was huge in the news at the time. Just the fact that it was a current true story was enough to make it exciting, even knowing how it would end being a true story. Plus getting to see 13 from House being a freak was pretty nice and Justin Timberlake did a great job in the movie.

Quote:

Alpha Dog was a true story that was huge in the news at the time. Just the fact that it was a current true story was enough to make it exciting, even knowing how it would end being a true story. Plus getting to see 13 from House being a freak was pretty nice and Justin Timberlake did a great job in the movie.

Justin delivered a good performance. However, Just because it's based on some true events doesn't make watching little kids trying to be gangsters any less laughable. It wasn't terrible. I would give it a 6 or so. But I don't know if I will ever watch it again.

I love 3:10 to Yuma. It has some problems, but it also don't have some of the problems people claim. Some people assume that this is supposed to be a totally reality based western because it doesn't contain a bunch of over the top performances.

SPOILER:

Like at the end when Dan is taking Wade to the train. Some people complain that Dan's character is foolish for continuing the journey despite all the bullets flying at him. Well, it's pretty damn obvious that Dan's intention is to get Wade on the train even if he does dies doing it. Maybe this would not occur in real life at this point in time, but this movie is not a totally reality based movie.

Also, some of the complainers are just revisionist d!ckriders. Just because it doesn't have Bale and Crowe spitting out one liner after one liner like the characters in Tomstone do, that doesn't mean it's a reality based movie. People know either want a revisionist western or a completely over the top movie like Young Guns or Tombstone.

• Admin

I don't buy that at all. The movie was played as a straight, by the numbers western the entire way through. Well, till the ending at least. Then they tried to go for the modern day action movie ending with lots of gotchas, forcibly playing everything the exact opposite of how it logically should happen. The movie didn't need a gotcha, twist ending.

I understand what they were going for with the ending, but that's not what the rest of the movie was. They spend two hours putting you in that world, in that mindset and then they rip you out of it with an ending that just doesn't make sense in the context of what you'd seen up to that point.

Still a good movie and an easy 8/10, but it could have been perfect with a more well written, better directed ending.

• Admin

well... "by the numbers", it doesn't really deviate from your traditional western in theme or character arc. You've got all the character types you'd expect in a western, they do what they're supposed to do. There's no modern reimaginings of how life in the old west was somehow different than we've thought up to this point. Then they hit the ending and it seems like they went out of their way to have the characters do nonsensical things just to be different and for me, and obviously many others, it didn't work. It almost feels like they wanted to throw a twist in there when it didn't need a twist.

Like I said, I like the movie, 8/10. But the ending didn't fit the rest of it. Which really says a lot for how good it was up to that point. Few movies are going to get that high of a rating from me after blowing the ending the way they did.

Quote:

it doesn't really deviate from your traditional western in theme or character arc. You've got all the character types you'd expect in a western

I really don't see that in Crowes character. I don't think he could simply be labeled a bad guy like the bad guys often are in western films. I'm not sure I see the same thing in Dan Evans character either. Normally, a Dan Evans would be played like a "white knight" type of hero and that's not the

performance that Bale gave.

I would have liked the movie less if Bale had lived. If I wanted that, I would just watch the original again. I don't understand why people find it so hard to believe Wade would kill these guys. At what point in the movie did he truly show any regard for these men?

Dan's intentions were to get Wade on the train no matter what. If they were not, he might have took the money that Wade offered him in the motel. But if he had did that, do you think Dan's son would be proud of him? I just don't buy Dan's only motivation is the money.

That's what the director perhaps wanted it to look like on the surface, but I think to understand you have to put just abit of effort into it. Throughout the first half of the movie it shows Dan as a guy that basically can't do anything right.

He can't keep the family fed.... He can't prevent Wade from escaping. Also, you notice how Wade comments about Dan's inability make a decent life for his wife. Do you really believe that a couple of hundred bucks is all that is running through Dan's head at this point? I have to believe that deep down inside Dan's character is feeling pretty damn rotten and pathetic. He is so ashamed of himself that he lied about how he suffered the leg injury.

There is a chance I see more to this movie than what there really is. But this is how it sunk into me.

Quote:

well... "by the numbers", it doesn't really deviate from your traditional western in theme or character arc. You've got all the character types you'd expect in a western, they do what they're supposed to do. There's no modern reimaginings of how life in the old west was somehow different than we've thought up to this point. Then they hit the ending and it seems like they went out of their way to have the characters do nonsensical things just to be different and for me, and obviously many others, it didn't work. It almost feels like they wanted to throw a twist in there when it didn't need a twist.

Like I said, I like the movie, 8/10. But the ending didn't fit the rest of it. Which really says a lot for how good it was up to that point. Few movies are going to get that high of a rating from me after blowing the ending the way they did.

We're living in an age where the movies arent what they used to be.....and as such, i thought 3:10 to Yuma was the best movie of 2007. Granted, i've yet to see 'There will be blood', which i've heard good things about. -- honestly I thought 3:10 to Yuma was refreshing, it wasnt the same blah action movie i've become accustomed to seeing over the last few years.