• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hmm, the Woody/Lue bashing posts slow down

Admin

Quote:

Quote:

I also loved his brilliant tactic of benching players ONE foul before they are in foul trouble.

According to Northcyde this is common practice, and good coaching.

pillepalle.gif

If you actually watched or played basketball, you would know that it is, instead of whining and crying all the time about every single move that Woody makes.

Dolfan explained it perfectly. The last thing we want to happen, i for either Smoove or Horford to be in foul trouble late in a game. Both guys routinely pick up 4 or 5 fouls a night.

So if one or the other has to sit a while after picking up his 2nd foul in the 2nd quarter, then that's what needs to be done.

I'd rather have Zaza play spot minutes in the 1st half, than to HAVE to play him in the 4th, because of Al or Smoove fouling out.

LOL . . and you guys think that Woody is the idiot? You guys prove on a nightly basis who the true idiots are.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I doubt there are more than a handful of Hawks fans who don't cringe when Lue is in the game but they still cheer like crazy people when he knocks down a big shot.

I also bet you won't find many Hawks fans that don't want to see Acie taking and making big shots but he isn't doing that right now for whatever reason because he is either not taking shots or he is missing them. We simply don't have enough half court offensive firepower to having Acie out there playing a Boris Diaw role not taking shots. Hopefully soon he will start taking and making shots so that he can stay on the court.

Quote:

I disagree with you. I have seen Smoove and Al pick up fouls in bunches because they are both aggressive emotional players and especially Al because of him being a rookie. Besides, 9 times out of 10 when he brings Smoove back in the game he seems to play a lot better, the Philly game being a perfect example. He was playing awful when Woody took him out and then when he brought him back in he was much more focused and took over the game. You might not agree with Woody's strategy with certain players but I would say he knows the limitations of his individual players a lot better than anyone on here.

Dol, it's like these guys have never watched the Hawks before.

Ish, we cry all the time about how the refs will call ticky-tack fouls on us, but nothing on them. People were crying about that very thing tonight.

And both of them will get at least 2 BS foul calls a game called on them.

But people want them to stay in a ballgame with 2 fouls in the 1st half, when the refs are calling touch fouls against us? Like I said, I rather have Zaza or whomever playing during that time, than to HAVE to play Zaza during crunch time in the 4th, because one of them have fouled out.

Dol, they talk like they're playing NBA Live or something.

No doubt about that, I would much rather let our bench players get their minutes in the first half and the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th. One of the reasons that you rarely see our players foul out of the game is that Woody does a good job of protecting the players that he knows he has to protect. I'm not sure what our percentage of having players foul out is compared to the rest of the league but I would bet its pretty good. We should all be thankful that Z didn't have to play in the 4th tonight or that we didn't have to bring in Lo or Shelden off the bench to replace Al or Smoove when the game was on the line. Woody certainly makes his fair share of mistakes and he should be criticized when he does make them but this is one of the things that he does well and he's damn sure not the first coach to ever employ this strategy.

Quote:

dolfan and northcyde, when either of you want to base your position on facts rather than assumptions get back to me.

And what have you presented that were facts? Crying about 1st half substitutions is some of the slliest things I've ever seen.

It's like you guys want Woody to turn Al and Smoove's fouls and fatigue level off, and just keep the in the entire game.

Woody is an average coach. He knows that if he doesn't protect both of those guys, that we're up ish creek once crunch time hits.

• Premium Member

Quote:

LOL...Good post Dolfan...These people need to quit freaking out and just relax.

This team should make the playoffs...Be happy that we are going to get there for the first time in almost 10 years.

Unless we find a way to play at least competitively on the road, then we might not make the playoffs.

The Lakers went on a run with Smoove out the game not to challenge shots and defend which led to an 8 pt deficit. Smith only picked up 1 foul in the 2nd half. That could have cost us after the great 1st qtr he had.

Lue played alright but he hit some lucky shots at the end. And if he would have missed them then yall would be all on him as well with 100 "I hate Lue" threads. Now that all but guarantees that he will be gettin the bulk of the backup mins from now on for his play tonight. Enjoy it while it lasts.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If we DO make the playoffs, hopefully people will stop whining and complaining like little 7 year old girls and be happy that we finally got back to the post season.

Agreed. Hope that day comes sometime soon.

Unfortunately if you calculate our record, taking into account the discrepancies between home games played and road games played, we are on pace for 34-35 wins.

Current Home winning%: 58 ... .58 X 41 = 23 home wins

Current Road winning%: 29... .29 x 41 = 12 road wins.

I'm not too happy with our performance this year, and to call people like me a little girl because I voice my displeasure about being a team on pace for 34 wins is pretty unreasonable IMO.

I think BK and Woody have done a terrible job since being here. Northcyde says we can't dog Woody when we loose, because we don't give him props when he wins... I don't think this is a valid argument because most of the complaints I see don't have anything to do with W/L but the fact that we don't have a half-court offense, and we play without a sense of purpose on the road, etc. etc.

Nobody can know if these things are the players or the coaches fault, but since Bk is the reason we have the players we have and Woody is the reason for how they prepare I think it's pretty reasonable to have the opinion that these two men have not done a good job since coming here.

Quote:

Quote:

LOL...Good post Dolfan...These people need to quit freaking out and just relax.

This team should make the playoffs...Be happy that we are going to get there for the first time in almost 10 years.

Unless we find a way to play at least competitively on the road, then we might not make the playoffs.

What we have to do on the road, is beat the bad teams, and the teams close to us in the East. If we can't win on the road, I'd love for us to become damn good @ home.

We have 6 road wins right now. I'd like to be somewhere between 12 - 16 wins by the end of the year. But we need at least 25 home wins. We're on pace to do just that.

• Premium Member

The problem is that we haven't been beating the bad teams.

2 Ls against Milwaukee

L against Indiana (mega blowout)

L against Clippers (Without 4/5s of their starting lineup)

L against Chicago (early on in the year when they couldn't score 80 points)

L against New Jersey

Our performance on the road has been by far the biggest problem for this team all year... Unless we start playing better, than even the eight spot, is not a certainty.

Quote:

Quote:

If we DO make the playoffs, hopefully people will stop whining and complaining like little 7 year old girls and be happy that we finally got back to the post season.

Agreed. Hope that day comes sometime soon.

Unfortunately if you calculate our record, taking into account the discrepancies between home games played and road games played, we are on pace for 34-35 wins.

Current Home winning%: 58 ... .58 X 41 = 23 home wins

Current Road winning%: 29... .29 x 41 = 12 road wins.

I'm not too happy with our performance this year, and to call people like me a little girl because I voice my displeasure about being a team on pace for 34 wins is pretty unreasonable IMO.

I think BK and Woody have done a terrible job since being here. Northcyde says we can't dog Woody when we loose, because we don't give him props when he wins... I don't think this is a valid argument because most of the complaints I see don't have anything to do with W/L but the fact that we don't have a half-court offense, and we play without a sense of purpose on the road, etc. etc.

Nobody can know if these things are the players or the coaches fault, but since Bk is the reason we have the players we have and Woody is the reason for how they prepare I think it's pretty reasonable to have the opinion that these two men have not done a good job since coming here.

Why can't you blame both the player and the coach? I mean, while some of you were complaining about Lue, people couldn't even see that this is the exact type of game he should play in. You know why? Because Lue wasn't going to be matched up against some quick PG that could take him off the dribble. He would be less of a defensive liability this game.

If I know that, I'm sure our head coach and his staff definitely knew it.

Yet, Woody won't get any credit for that move.

By the way, your math is off. We have 15 home wins out of 24 games. That's a .625 winning percentage, not .580

And that puts us on pace for 26 wins at home, not 23.

Also consider that the vast majority of our March and April schedule will be vs the East. So even if we slip up during our last West road trip, we'll have a chance to gain it right back in March.

I know we haven't beat some of those bad teams on the road, which is why I said we needed to start doing it. But even if we can't, they haven't get it back at home, just like they're doing now. It's not going to be the end of the world, if Charlotte beats us when we go back to Charlotte.

It's crazy though. Most of you guys thought we were a 36 - 42 win team. This is how those types of teams play. Golden St. played just like this last year, except they were worse. But they caught fire in March and April, and made the playoffs.

Quote:

Our performance on the road has been by far the biggest problem for this team all year... Unless we start playing better, than even the eight spot, is not a certainty.

+1

There are really some big time idiots/homers on this board. People who just assume we are going to make the playoffs. The fact is, we have had some terrible losses that normally come from terrible coaching decisions and terrible play by a certain few players.

We need to correct these problems to keep getting better as a team. Some idiots on here would not care if we still have unacceptable flaws as a team just because we would be the 7th seed in the eastern conference if the playoffs started today.

People like Northcyde and Dolfan ride certain members of our team's nuts like none other. Apparently to them, basketball decisions are based off of making assumptions. They defend Woodson taking out Horford and Smith while they were not in foul trouble because "they could have gotten into foul trouble if left in."Not to mention we were losing at the time and our bench for the 4/5 spots are the worst I have ever seen. If we had quality reserves it would be a different story.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why can't you blame both the player and the coach? I mean, while some of you were complaining about Lue, people couldn't even see that this is the exact type of game he should play in. You know why? Because Lue wasn't going to be matched up against some quick PG that could take him off the dribble. He would be less of a defensive liability this game.

If I know that, I'm sure our head coach and his staff definitely knew it.

Yet, Woody won't get any credit for that move.

He won't get credit for that move, because it is what he has DONE all year... (Lue averages 17 mpg, played 22 tonight) And MOST of the year it hasn't worked out at ALL... The only thing he did differently was keep him throughout the end of the fourth quarter... Fortunately for us Lue made two huge shots, unfortunately those two shots came at the expense of running any offense... I'm not comfortable with Lue running down the clock to under 10 seconds and taking a shot at the end of games, a lot of times this year it has hurt us.

Quote:

By the way, your math is off. We have 15 home wins out of 24 games. That's a .625 winning percentage, not .580

And that puts us on pace for 26 wins at home, not 23.

Also consider that the vast majority of our March and April schedule will be vs the East. So even if we slip up during our last West road trip, we'll have a chance to gain it right back in March.

It's true about my math, you're right on that... Still, until we improve on the road we are still at pace to win 36 games and finish the year at 10 games under 500... Unlike you I don't feel to comfortable about facing Eastern teams on the road, because so far this year they have pretty much been eating our lunch.

I agree that both players and the coach should be to blame for our performance so far this year. What scares me is that we will finish with a terrible record this year (like 36 - 46), make the playoffs despite it, and then BK and Woody will be off the hook... Next year, we are either loosing Childress or Smoove, and we won't have a first round pick... Many of the god awful teams in the east will have first draft round picks and money to spend in Free Agency, and we will be left with pretty much our same roster - Childress or Smoove...

I doubt the East will be as terrible as it is next year, and I also doubt that we will improve significantly from this year unless we get new management... If we make the playoffs it will be great, but if making the playoffs with a bad team and BK, Woody, and the Players get let off the hook for being terrible, it could be the last time we make the playoffs in another long while.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's crazy though. Most of you guys thought we were a 36 - 42 win team. This is how those types of teams play. Golden St. played just like this last year, except they were worse. But they caught fire in March and April, and made the playoffs.

The problem with this argument is that EVERYBODY thought the East was gonna be extremely competitive this year. People making those predictions were basing it on the fact that they thought Miami, New York, Charlotte, New Jersey, Milwaukee, would ALL be playing at a playoff caliber level... Instead, the East is the weakest it has ever been (ant that's saying a lot) and we still can't take advantage of it...That is why people are upset.

It's funny that you bring up Golden State, since they would be the one team that would hurt your "it's not the coaches fault whether we win or lose" argument. It is pretty much accepted by everyone that the main reason Golden State is even competitive out west is because of Nellie's coaching.