• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are some so eager to move Horford from the 5??

DavidSomerset

He is playing great there...He is playing at least AVERAGE (if not "above average") defense against other C's in the NBA, and is certainly out hustling them and is still productive on offense.

Josh Smith CANNOT play the 3 (which is what would have to happen if we traded for a 5 and moved Horf to the 4). He is at his best when he is playing PF...

Not to mention, in that scenario we only have Bibby and JJ that can actually shoot a jump shot on the floor.

Everything is just fine at all 5 starting positions right now...We just need to focus on getting a big body or two behind Horford.

Any trade that moves Smoove to the 3 is a bad one.

The only other big deal I would even consider doing would be Smoove for Biedrins and put Horford at the 4...However, I'd rather sit with what he have right now and see how it goes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called status quo bias

Some people think something is done one way and that's the only way it should ever be.

They don't realize that the NBA, just like everything else in life evolves.

There is nothing wrong with Horford at the 5. He gains even more strength (which I have no doubt a 21 year old guy with his broad shoulders can do), he could look like he belongs there even more.

He also has an amazing advantage in terms of athleticism at that spot.

There is no reason to move him.

I hope Bibby fixes our REAL problems so people see that we can keep him there

Well, I think that is a simple answer. Al at the 4 has a great chance to be one of the better PFs in the league. At the 5, he will never be able to impose his will EVERY GAME, b/c some guys are just MUCH bigger.

If we were to move Al to the 4, then we are no longer an uptempo team though, IMO.

There are upsides and downsides to both. I think the smartest thing is to get Al to where he can become great though.

Quote:

Well, I think that is a simple answer. Al at the 4 has a great chance to be one of the better PFs in the league. At the 5, he will never be able to impose his will EVERY GAME, b/c some guys are just MUCH bigger.

If we were to move Al to the 4, then we are no longer an uptempo team though, IMO.

There are upsides and downsides to both. I think the smartest thing is to get Al to where he can become great though.

It's not just about Al.

You lose athleticism at the 4 and 5 when you put Al there.

And it depends what you define as bigger. There are some players that are taller than Horford that I guarantee you he can impose his will on. We've seen it. We've seen him on Bargnani, and Rasheed Wallace had to pull the chair on Al the time he tried to bang with him.

He's a rookie and he's wrestled away rebounds from a crowd of grown ass veterans.

This kid has potential to be so freaking strong.

With such a low center of gravity I think that Horford will be able to impose his will on most Centers in the league.

And if there are centers bigger and stronger than him, I doubt they can match his athleticism

Well, Andris Biedrins(The guy many think would come our way) has better numbers than Al right now. I havent seen many Warriors games though, so I cant tell how good or bad he really is.

Horford could definitely become a better PF than Josh Smith though, why do you feel he can not??

Also, im not advocating the trade of Smoove, maybe Marv, maybe some other players. I dont know. Plus, if Smoove can post up guys bigger than him at PF, watch how easy it is for him to post up these SFs.

Quote:

Well, Andris Biedrins(The guy many think would come our way) has better numbers than Al right now. I havent seen many Warriors games though, so I cant tell how good or bad he really is.

Horford could definitely become a better PF than Josh Smith though, why do you feel he can not??

Also, im not advocating the trade of Smoove, maybe Marv, maybe some other players. I dont know. Plus, if Smoove can post up guys bigger than him at PF, watch how easy it is for him to post up these SFs.

Is there really enough room in the post for Josh Smith, Al Horford, and another Center??

I don't think so.

And IMO, Josh Smith will be a better PF than Horford for a number of reasons...He is a better athlete, he's a better defender, he's a better scorer.

Really the only thing Al has on him is rebounding.

Other than getting overpowered by bigger players, getting in early foul trouble and not being able to score against bigger players i cant think of any reasons.

Right now we are being badly outplayed at two positions, pg and C.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL5.HTM

We've addressed one problem with this trade. Now we have to address the other.

Quote:

Other than getting overpowered by bigger players, getting in early foul trouble and not being able to score against bigger players i cant think of any reasons.

Horford hasn't scored because he's an offensively raw rookie who's the 4th option on a team without a PG that even ranked in the top 60 in the league.

He gets silly cheap fouls as a rookie both because A)He makes rookie mistakes and B)Gets rookie calls.

Quote:

Quote:

Is there really enough room in the post for Josh Smith, Al Horford, and another Center??

I don't think so.

And IMO, Josh Smith will be a better PF than Horford for a number of reasons...He is a better athlete, he's a better defender, he's a better scorer.

Really the only thing Al has on him is rebounding.

Well, that is true. there isnt enough room in the post for all 3. From what I understand, Biedrins isnt much of a post up player though.(I really have no clue what type of offensive player he is)

Josh Smith is not a better defender than Horford. He may block more shots and get more steals, but when it truly comes down to it, Horford is a much better man on man defender. Smoove has the potential to be lockdown, but he still plays dumb a lot of times on defense.

No arguments that Smoove is a better athlete, but that doesnt really matter at PF.

Of course Smoove is better on offense when he gets a ton more shots. I'd like to see what happens when Horf gets that many shots though

Quote:

Good grief, I have seen too many posts like this. The kid is a rookie who is averaging damn near 10 and 10 at Center. People act like this is the best Horford will get...that he wont learn any new moves or how to consistently bang against other Centers. People act like Center is one of the easiest positions to come into and dominate...its not.

The year to watch is the 2008-2009 season...not this one. He is the best we got at the 5. Look at it this way. Zaza is easily 2 inches taller and at least 30 pounds heavier. Now tell me: Who is the better Center? Horford is fine where he is THIS year. Let's see what he learns in the offseason, how he applies it next year, and go from there.

Until then, we just need another legit rebounding big (vet) that will ease the pressure off Horfy. He only needs to play like 15 mins a game.

Horford HAS the skills to play the 5 effectively. Give him a chance to develop those skills before you start writing him off as a better fit at the 4.

Good teams and coaches have a knack for developing their young talent. Please keep this in mind.

Quote:

Josh Smith is not a better defender than Horford. He may block more shots and get more steals, but when it truly comes down to it, Horford is a much better man on man defender. Smoove has the potential to be lockdown, but he still plays dumb a lot of times on defense.

A lot of teams have athletic players at the 4 these days who play like Josh Smith.

Horford would not be a better defender than Josh Smith against those type of guys because he doesn't have as much lateral quickness.

Quote:

Horford HAS the skills to play the 5 effectively. Give him a chance to develop those skills before you start writing him off as a better fit at the 4.

Good teams and coaches have a knack for developing their young talent. Please keep this in mind.

Not to mention he has the room to add 15+ pounds of muscle which would significantly decrease the percentage of bigs who can overpower him

Quote:

Busboy, every time I see Horf step out on quicker guys on a switch, he seems to do just fine. Would you disagree?

Horford is not at his best when he's in no man's land outside the paint on a 3/4 tweener.

I'd much rather have Josh Smith on those type of guys.

Just like I'd much rather not have Josh Smith on pure 3s or 2/3 tweeners

Horford isn't a 5 and it's not fair to ask him to play every game at the 5 just because Smoove can't play the position he is better sized to play, although I dispute that he can't play the 3 because I think he can.

People are speculating about trades because of BK supposedly saying that he is working on a deal that would move Al back to the 4.

Quote:

Horford isn't a 5 and it's not fair to ask him to play every game at the 5 just because Smoove can't play the position he is better sized to play, although I dispute that he can't play the 3 because I think he can.

People are speculating about trades because of BK supposedly saying that he is working on a deal that would move Al back to the 4.

Of course he "can" play the 3 but the 4 is where Josh Smith is best on BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.

Horford is only not a 5 if you are living in the last decade.

The majority of the Centers in the league aren't 7 feet 285+ pounds anymore

Quote:

He is the best we got at the 5. Look at it this way. Zaza is easily 2 inches taller and at least 30 pounds heavier. Now tell me: Who is the better Center?

Horford, and that is exactly why we need another center. it isnt' hard to understand.

Quote:

Horford HAS the skills to play the 5 effectively.

first of all he doesn't have the size to guard a lot of centers. Secondly if he has the skills to score on them he sure has hidden those skills well.