• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are some so eager to move Horford from the 5??

DavidSomerset

Quote:

Quote:

Show me one column written by anyone, or any post by a non-Hawks fan, who thinks Horford is best used as a full time center.

Just one.

The Hawks beat writer (Sekou), coach, Horford himself, every opposing announcer and every writer i have seen has said that Horford isn't a full time center.

One column? Lol written by the media who are the kings of status quo and only jump on the bandwagon of change after it happens?

We are in a transition phase IMO. It's conventional wisdom that you need a 7 footer with 270-280+ pounds at C.

But the NBA is making a transition away from that. The transition at PF isn't even debatable and the C position isn't far away.

All it takes is one team to break the stereotype of the idea that you can't win without a 7 footer and everyone will follow suit.

People always point to the Suns who failed. But the Suns lost more because of catching bad breaks in the playoffs than anything (Joe Johnson hurt, Amare suspended etc)

Not to mention teh team has no desire to play defense including their MVP point guard Steve Nash

So in other words you and truth are right and Woodson, Sekou, Horford, and everyone else who has written about horford is wrong. OK

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Show me one column written by anyone, or any post by a non-Hawks fan, who thinks Horford is best used as a full time center.

Just one.

Of course Horford would be a better 4 than a 5...but that doesn't mean he can't be a damn solid 5 since we already have a good 4.

But here is the issue. Smith can't play 48 minutes at the 4. Hoford can get 15-20 minutes at the 4 easily IF we had a legit center.

Right now we don't have a legit center (Zaza blows) which forces the Hawks to play Horford there as much as possible.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just one.

Of course Horford would be a better 4 than a 5...but that doesn't mean he can't be a damn solid 5 since we already have a good 4.

But here is the issue. Smith can't play 48 minutes at the 4. Hoford can get 15-20 minutes at the 4 easily IF we had a legit center.

Right now we don't have a legit center (Zaza blows) which forces the Hawks to play Horford there as much as possible.

Sigh...

1) J Smoove does NOT play 48 minutes at the 4. He barely plays 35 mpg..and they are NOT all at PF.

2) J Smith will likely be re-signed. If that happens, he will be our PF of the future.

3) We will get another Center. But to think he needs to start or play more than 15-20 mins a game is fool-hardy.

4) Horford may turn out to be a better option at the 4. However, J Smoove is there now. Plus, Horford is still a rookie finding his way. Just be glad he didnt hit the damn rookie wall. I am so glad some of you arent real GMs...

Quote:

Quote:

Al Horford is the most efficient rookie in the NBA.

That is because efficiency isn't a per minute stat and Horford plays more minutes than anyone but Durant. Of course he should have more efficiency points than a guy playing 10 minutes per game.

Let's talk about PER. According to Hollinger's moon formula, the best three players of all time are:

Michael Jordan (obviously)

Shaq (debatable, but okay)

David Robinson.

David Robinson. Not Wilt Chamberlain, or Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuawan, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, Julius Erving...David Robinson. As much as I have tremendous respect for the man, David Robinson is nowhere near the third best player of all time. And any formula that puts him there is probably not going to be the say-all of comparing a player's worth.

Quote:

Sigh...

1) J Smoove does NOT play 48 minutes at the 4. He barely plays 35 mpg..and they are NOT all at PF.

Man you are slow. You are agreeing with me and you don't even realize it. LOL

YOu just pointed out why Horford could easily play 15-20 minutes at the 4.

Quote:

Quote:

Sigh...

Man you are slow. You are agreeing with me and you don't even realize it. LOL

YOu just pointed out why Horford could easily play 15-20 minutes at the 4.

And you arent very bright. I never said he couldnt play the 4. I said NOT to give up so early on him being our starting 5. That is where I fundamentally and most vehemently disagree with you.

Please get it right before you start patting yourself on the back. I swear, are you like 10?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is because efficiency isn't a per minute stat and Horford plays more minutes than anyone but Durant. Of course he should have more efficiency points than a guy playing 10 minutes per game.

Let's talk about PER. According to Hollinger's moon formula, the best three players of all time are:

David Robinson.

David Robinson. Not Wilt Chamberlain, or Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuawan, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, Julius Erving...David Robinson. As much as I have tremendous respect for the man, David Robinson is nowhere near the third best player of all time. And any formula that puts him there is probably not going to be the say-all of comparing a player's worth.

First of all i didn't say it was the say all of a players worth, but you are showing that you are young by trying to diss DRob.

DRob's rookie year in the league he averaged 24 ppg shooting 53%, 1 rebounds, 3.9 blocks and 1.7 steals. Granted he was an old rookie but still DRob was nasty.

Quote:

I said NOT to give up so early on him being our starting 5.

Again with your lack of reading comprehension. I said he has to be our full time 5 right now because Zaza blows. But ideally he would be better used if his time was split evenly between the 4 and 5.

Hence the need for a center, which Sekou, Woodson, Horford himself and everyone else (except a here) can easily see.

Quote:

Quote:

Again with your lack of reading comprehension. I said he has to be our full time 5 right now because Zaza blows. But ideally he would be better used if his time was split evenly between the 4 and 5.

Hence the need for a center, which Sekou, Woodson, Horford himself and everyone else (except a here) can easily see.

Well, that proved my suspicions...

Anyway, I could have more intellectually stimulating discussion with my two dogs.

Have at it guys...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, that proved my suspicions...

Anyway, I could have more intellectually stimulating discussion with my two dogs.

Have at it guys...

I will anxiously await your HS graduation so you can come back with a coherent argument.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

David Robinson.

First of all i didn't say it was the say all of a players worth, but you are showing that you are young by trying to diss DRob.

DRob's rookie year in the league he averaged 24 ppg shooting 53%, 1 rebounds, 3.9 blocks and 1.7 steals. Granted he was an old rookie but still DRob was nasty.

Tell me that David Robinson is the third best player of all time. Tell me, that you can say without a doubt that he was a more dominant player than Hakeem Olajuwaun.

Like I said, I have tremendous respect for Robinson, as a person (One of few prominant Christians in professional sports, as well as his Navy stuff), and as a basketball player. And he's certainly one of the best 50 of all time. But number three? Really? Can you honestly defend that over the legends?