Why Reece Gaines is the best fit for Atlanta.

KB21

He brings everything to the table that the Hawks are looking for in a player this offseason. First, he's the big ball handler in the backcourt that will allow them to let Jason Terry play more freely. Second, he's a terrific long distance shooter that will allow the Hawks to keep Glenn Robinson more in his comfortable mid-range area and keep him from having to handle the ball so much. Third, he's a good all around defender. He has the athleticism to defend his man on the ball, and he has the presence of mind to be a good off the ball defender. He gets his hands on a lot of steals, and his length in the back court will cause trouble for a lot of players. He can guard both shooting guards and point guards.

His numbers at Louisville this past season:

17.9 ppg, 5.0 apg, 2.9 rpg, 1.7 spg, 46% FG, 74% FT, 39% 3P

He's a Derek Anderson clone without the injuries.

His scouting report says he is a brilliant athlete with an excellent first step. He is slippery quick when penetrating to the basket. He's a tremendous finisher who is a slick dunker in transisition. He finishes strongly in traffic, and his size and athleticism allow him to get off clean runners over the defense. He has become a big time 3 point shooter. He's a good passer who finds the cutters, and he gets his hands on a lot of steals.

I haven't heard any reports stating that he won't be over right away. You never truly know, perhaps mgt. does, and it's a valid point, considering where this "team" is, but having heard nothing to the contrary, I assume that he's ready and willing (the thought crossed my mind as to why he wasn't in ESPN's second mock draft...but he's back in there now; I'm thinking that was more of an oversight...)

we plan to keep JT and Dog in the starting lineup. The more I think about it, as much as I like Jarvis Hayes and Pietrus at SG, even if we trade up to the #11 spot, I think I would take Gaines there. I just don't think I can stand to go through another season watching JT struggle as our only legitimate ballhandler and I don't think Hayes or Pietrus are going to be able to really help in that department very much. If we plan to move Dog, I might re-evaluate taking Gaines over those guys.

No way Gaines falls to #21. If we want him, we'll have to move up to get him. I'd do it as long as the pick is protected (it couldn't be a lottery pick for at least 4 years and never top 3). Gaines was my 2nd choice for us behind Hayes originally but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. I say lets go get him!

but there are definitely some similarities to their games. Both players have smooth handles for their respective sizes and they both have nice J's. I think Gaines will be more polished in his first season than Crawford has been up until this point (although I think Crawford is ready to blow up this year). I think Gaines also plays a lot like Jimmy Jackson although JJ was physically stronger coming out of college. I think he fits.

I have to agree with Traceman about if the Hawks traded up to get Gaines they better have protection with the future 1st rounder since the Hawks could be a bad team in the future and do a Memphs this year and give up a top pick for Gaines this year. Gaines would be the best choice for this team but as mentioned before I do notb think the Hawks management would be creative enough to find a way to get him so he goes to Orlando.Seems like every year the Hawks never get their man they want.

The future of the Hawks I feel looks rather depresing for the next few years.Even with Diaw this team still needs a big man and Ratliff isn't the answer against elite big men in the NBA.Robinson is not a team player so we need a small forward and there is no depth on the team. There have been lengthy discussions about this before but unless you have at least one superstar and maybe 2 your not winning a championship.The year 2005 is critical since there are a number of stars who can be free agents and even then no guarantee of getting one but I would still play for one.This means getting rid of big contracts which the new owner and management must realize you need a superstar not only to win but fill seats which is a constant problem for the Hawks.

The Hawks need to find a few young players as role palyers now then go after a big superstar in the near future. Gaines or Diaw or even Hayes would be a good step in the right direction. Tomorrow we will know what happens!

Out of the three of them I'd rather get Hayes, although the only one that I think will be available #21 wil be Diaw. What about the P.G. from Brazil, there is some talk that he may slip all the way to the 2nd round. Do you think the Hawks will take a look at him? He looks to be an interesting prospect with his size and quickness. And I know he will be in the U.S. next year, well he was trainign over here recently, so I would assume he won't stay down in South America.

In their Hawks Draft Preview article, they mentioned Ndudi Ebi and how he had an impressive workout with the Hawks.

The deal between Atlanta and Golden State says that GS will take Gaines at 11 with Atlanta taking Ebi at 21, and they will then swap picks. I think the first round pick Atlanta will give up will definitely be lottery protected over the next 3-4 years, however, if the Hawks add Gaines, that is probably enough to push the team into the playoffs with added chemistry.

Barbosa is said to be very aggressive, both offensively and defensively and he's a much better shooter than Diaw. Both are said to be very athletic. The biggest knocks on Diaw are his lack of aggression and his poor shooting and I don't like that at all.

I read an article where Barbosa and Wade worked out together and the coach (Hubie Brown if I remember correctly) thought Wade was dogging it because Barbosa was giving him fits. Turns out that Barbosa plays hard like that all the time. Sounds like my kind of guy and if he's there at #21, I'd be VERY happy to get him.

I do like the fact that Diaw won the french slam dunk championship. as corny as it sounds, you know he's got athleticism and body control to do that.

the rest of the competitors were smoking their girly cigarettes and drinking their girly drinks and talking about how they think its so barbaric to dunk the basketball like the barbaric americans....lol so you see he probably won by default.