• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Anybody Make Sense Of This Hawks Trade Rumor?

TheDude

All I've seen is what I pasted below from a Chad Ford chat today... Anybody know what they're talking about?

Scott (Oakland CA): I read your column about the Warriors and Hawks possible trade of 1st round picks. Do you think this is wise for the Warriors to draft a high school for the future or do they need for immediate help now considering their free agent back court

Chad Ford: I think, from the Warriors perspective, it may have much more to do with keeping Fegan and Gilbert Arenas happy. If I'm Golden State I do everything in my power to keep him there. If that means taking Ebi, even at 11, I do it.

-----

hmm? is it maybe espn insider? if so, can someone copy/paste it?

go to today's insider. I forget the details, but it's essentially them drafting Gaines for us at the 11 and us taking Ebi for them at the 21 and swapping the two players.

The full explanation is not in today's insider; however, we also were to send them a first round pick in a future draft (it was discussed on this board that it is essential the pick is protected). Regardless, the idea was that Golden State would be reaching too pick anyone but a guard and that would upset Arenas. All of this is an attempt to keep Arenas happy so that they can resign him, at least that is what Ford says.

Is Gaines really worth a future 1st rounder? I don't want to give up another future 1st if Gaines isn't head and shoulders above say Diaw or whatever...

Anybody have a take on this Gaines character and why we'd move up just to get him? I've heard his name a few times but know nothing of his game.

I don't see the advantage to taking Gaines over Daiw.

He might be the better PLAYER, but I don't think he would fit our team as well.

Daiw would be the perfect back court player to compliment Terry. He's 6'9", defends well ... and isn't concerned with shooting. He drives and kicks VERY well. Daiw is considered the best passer at PG in the draft.

Gaines may have a better shot, but he isn't as good a passer. But, we don't need ANOTHER shooter.

Having a 6'9" Point will allow Terry to roam at the 2 position and get shots.... and on defense he can cover the point.

Gaines is 6'6", which isn't small... but sure as heck isn't 6'9!

Gaines is hyped more because he is American. Those foreign kids have skill...

Play.

That was Josh Howard, but on what Playmaker was saying, Diaw is a 6-9 player who is a forward for all intents and purposes. He also lacks a killer instinct, which is something that is typical in the French.

Gaines is a player who is more ready to step in now and start, and I feel he will be the better player down the road because he is a lot more well rounded offensively. He's also a 6-6 point guard who can and has played both the point and two positions

You should never say that we dont need another shooter. [censored] if I had my way this team would have 5 shooters on this team, BUT that wouldnt be all that they did. I dont mean 5 Big Dog type of shooters, where all they do is shoot, but I want someone who can handle the rock and is willing to get his teammates involved. Theo cant shoot, Reef is an average shooter from outside, Dog cant shoot from beyond midrange very well, so basically JT is the only starter that we have that can shoot from outside. Gaines would isntantly change that. JT is the only starter we have that can handle the rock, Gaines would isntantly change that. He would be like our own version of Eric Snow, except that he can shoot. Look what Snow did for AI's career. It would really be great to have someone that could take some of the ball handling duties off of JT and also someone that we could depend on to hit the outside shot when JT's shot isnt on.

There is very little chance that he falls to #21 and if we take the chance on him falling and he doesnt then we are screwed because more than likely the Warriors wouldnt have taken Gaines for us. I would love to have Pav, but not at the risk of losing him and Gaines.

under that scenario though, I believe we could technically "[censored]" them in that the deal isn't consumated until after we make our pick...thus if we agreed on an Ebi for Gaines pick and we didnt' go with Ebi, the trade would be off...though we'd be the goat of the league...

Your comments about Diaw are based on what you have READ about him from other scouting reports. You really have no idea how good this guy is or will ever be. None of us who have never seen him really do. You say he's a great passer but from his scouting report but I suspect that his passing is hyped so much because he can't throw it in the ocean. By the way, he played PG on the JUNIOR French team but he plays SF for his team now.

That great Frenchman Frederic Weiss was supposed to be be the Knicks savior in the middle until they realized that the scouting report that said he "lacked aggression" really meant that he had no game. This could very well be the case with Diaw.

The guy reportedly has some skills but I have to question why he is not more of an impact player. Even his interview at Hoopshype made him sound like a puss.

Meanwhile, Gaines was the best player on his team in college and played for a very good college coach in Pitino. Pitino says he will be able to play PG in the NBA but we don't need him to do that, we just need him to handle the ball some to help take pressure off JT.

I saw Gaines play several times in college and I think he has game. I don't have to depend on scouting reports or hype for him, I SAW him compete.

I guess the bottom line is that while I certainly believe that there are some very good foreign players, I think the

hype machine has taken it to a whole new level. Hype? If Gaines was French and played in the Euroleague, he would proablably be the first PG taken.