• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A look at the East; Hawks chances pre pre-season

KB21

Using the way the teams finished last season:

1. Detroit Pistons - They look stronger with the addition of Darko Milicic and Larry Brown. They should be the odds on favorite to win the Eastern Conference next season.

2. New Jersey Nets - Will they keep Jason Kidd? If he bolts, how much does that hurt this team? IMO, if Kidd bolts, it will be a big blow to the Nets. They aren't a good half court team, and without Kidd, they will struggle with the fast break. If they keep Kidd, then they should challenge the Pistons. If not, how far do they fall?

3. Indiana Pacers - Reggie Miller is a free agent. Brad Miller is a free agent. Jermaine O'Neal is a free agent, and he doesn't seem to want to play with Ron Artest any longer. This is probably the most talented team from top to bottom in the East if everyone stays, but they are underachievers. Will this be Isaih's last season as the Pacers' head coach?

4. Philadelphia 76ers - The team will be pretty much intact. Will this season show how much Larry Brown meant to this team? Can Randy Ayers continue getting this team to play above its head?

5. New Orleans Hornets - This is a team that overachieved last season with Paul Silas as the head coach. He's gone, and Tim Floyd has replaced him. They will lose PJ Brown and lack depth overall. Can Tim Floyd get the most out of his players?

6. Boston Celtics - Will Walker be traded before the season? They added the point guard they needed in Marcus Banks. They seem like a team that will more than likely stay the same, but they may move up some in the standings.

7. Milwaukee Bucks - Will Gary Payton resign? What does that mean for TJ Ford, their first round pick? This team is still weak in the post though. Now that the big 3 are all gone, I think the Bucks are in a full blown rebuilding mode.

8. Orlando Magic - They have the best player in the east in McGrady, but he doesn't have much help. Reece Gaines will help, but it looks like Hill will miss yet another season. They still don't have a center, but they have a budding young player at the power forward spot in Drew Gooden.

9. Washington Wizards - No more Jordan. New coach. Still a very young team that has no point guard. How much did Jordan keep them in games, and how much did Jordan hold the young guys back?

10. New York Knicks - This was a limited team that overachieved some last season. McDyesse's health? Will their rookies contribute?

11. Atlanta Hawks - They have the top scoring trio in the East, but were a turnover machine and didn't start playing any defense until Stotts took over. Will they gain the chemistry they need to cut out the turnovers and play better team defense? Who will be the GM? Who will be the coach?

12. Chicago Bulls - Will Kirk Hinrich make an impact and replace Jay Williams? Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry should continue to get better. Will Rose be traded? What is Jamal Crawford's future? They should improve some.

13. Miami Heat - The Heat went into a full blown rebuilding mode last year and have two nice young players to build around now in Butler and Wade. They lack a post presence.

14. Toronto Raptors - Chris Bosh was a very good pick, but he's not going to help them much this year. All of their players seem to be on the decline, and they have some horrible contracts. This could be a very long season for Kevin O'Neill.

15. Cleveland Cavaliers - Paul Silas is a great head coach and will get the most out of this team. LeBron James is the star they need. Can Ricky Davis, Dajaun Wagner, and Darius Miles play alongside James? Can Zydrunas stay healthy? I think this is a team with a lot of young talent that doesn't fit well together. They will have to sort that out this season. They will improve, but it will be a tough year for Silas.

That's how the teams finished and a brief synopsis of where they stand right now. The big questions regarding the east are, IMO:

1. How far will the Nets fall if they lose Kidd?

2. How far will the 76ers fall after losing Larry Brown?

3. How far will the Hornets fall after hiring Tim Floyd?

4. Can the Knicks and Hawks improve enough to make a playoff run?

I will make a pre preseason prediction here with a caveat. Kidd stays in New Jersey, and Jermaine O'Neal signs with San Antonio:

1. Detroit Pistons

2. New Jersey Nets

3. Boston Celtics

4. Indiana Pacers

5. Orlando Magic

6. Philadelphia 76ers

7. Atlanta Hawks

8. New York Knicks

9. Milwaukee Bucks

10. Chicago Bulls

11. Miami Heat

12. New Orleans Hornets

13. Washington Wizards

14. Cleveland Cavaliers

15. Toronto Raptors

Your sleeping on Chicago.They will better than us..

Why?

They have a better PG,I good big man in Eddy Curry,

and Chandler will be a 15/7 guy next year.They have

good depth,and they also have Jalen Rose.They will

make the playoffs this year.

Washington- might win 25 games.They have nothing

after Stackhouse.Hughes has never made a difference

and although Brown will have a 14/6 season it will

not be enough to win them enough games.

Knicks-It depends on the health of McDyess.I hear the

earliest he could be back is Jan.They did overachieve

last year.They played alot better when Spree comeback

and probably would've got 8th seed had he not gotten

hurt.

Hawks-Only addition to the team is some questionable

rookies....No real improvement for the bench because

we will lose Newble and Probably Dion.There is no reason

to think we'll win anymore than 38 games again.

Miami Heat-They will have a better season?Playoffs?

NAH!They'll win about 33 games.

Toronto-They'll have a better year than last year.With

a defensive minded coach they could win up to 42 games.

Carter has to stay healthy and Lamond Murray needs

to be able to play this year.

Cleveland-They'll win between 20-25 games,but they

still don't have a real PG or defensive player.Alots of

talent on this team....but there are alot of players

were you say WHERE DO THY GO FROM HERE?Is Waggs

a 1 or 2?Where does Jumaine Jones fit in?Diop?Has

Miles improved?Does Smush Parker start at PG?

New Jersey-They reached their peak.Jefferson will improve

alittle...but I think they have come close to getting as

far as they can.Detroit will take their spot from them

this go around.

Detroit-They have added depth to an already deep team.

I see no reason why they can't win the east.ESP if they

get a guy like Howard to go along with all they already

have.

Philly-I expect them to slip closer to 8th seed this year.

They just don't have all the pieces to compete.Question-

able rookie coach,how does Iverson do with another

coach?I don't see good things for Philly this year.I thought

they'd slip out of the playoff picture last season..They

looked like they would at the allstar break...They will

barely hang onto the playoff picture this go around.

Orlando Magic-They have more depth than they had at

the start of the season last year.They lost Mike Miller

(whom is overrated by some fans)but gained Giercek,

Gaines and Gooden.They should be a better team this

go around..But not a top 5 in the east.

Bucks-They will be better.They are obviousally building

toward a future with Ford/Mason and Thomas.IF they

lose Gary Payton they will not have a star, but they

still have plenty of depth.

Indiana-Unless they lose ONeal they should win 53

games atleast.Without O'Neal They'll hit about 42

and challenge for 8th seed.

New Orleans-I'm not throwing them out of the playoffs

because they hired floyd as coach.They shouldn't have

let go of Silas for him.But come on,it's not like Floyd

had a talented team in Chicago.Give the guy a chance

to prove himself.

Boston-They'll stay about the same as they did last

year.

1)Detroit

2)New Jersey

3)Indiana

4)New Orleans

5)Boston Celtics

6)Bucks

7)Orlando

8)Chicago

9)Philly

10)Toronto-If Carter is healthy

11)Atlanta

12)Knicks

13)Miami

14)Cavs

15)Wizards

Boston: Had a good draft with Banks and Perkins. Still need to find somebody, anybody to take 'Toine off their hands.

Miami Heat: Wade/Jones/Butler is not going to work. Riley will realize his error, but won't admit his failure, further digging this team into a hole.

New Jersey Nets: I believe Kidd will stay, and this team will be right back at the top. If Kidd bolts, uh-oh...

New York Knicks: Great, another undersized PF. I don't think Dice will be able to save this team when he returns. Spree is a year older, and they still have no PG...

Orlando Magic: I believe this may be the year they get over the hump. McGrady will win MVP, Gooden will turn into a monster, and Gaines will be the steal of the draft.

Philadelphia 76ers: Ayers has to keep Iverson happy. To do that, they have to win.

Washington Wizards: This team could be really, really bad.

Chicago Bulls: Ready to return to the playoffs. Should try to move Hinrich for a SF. These kids look hungry.

Cleveland Cavaliers: Too young, can't be any worse than last year, though.

Detroit Pistons: I'm still kind of skeptical if LB can get this team to play as well as Carlisle did. They'll still be at the top, though.

Indiana Pacers: Sinking...even if JO returns. If he leaves for SA, they're out of it.

Milwaukee Bucks: Payton is over the hill. They've got a glut of guards, still need a big man.

New Orleans Hornets: This team will miss Silas, badly. They deserve to lose.

Toronto Raptors: I don't see them doing anything special. I can't see Vince returning to All-Star form. Without him, this team is lost.

Atlanta Hawks: Might as well be optimistic...maybe we can pull out the #8. Doubt it though...

1. New Jersey Nets

2. Orlando Magic

3. Detroit Pistons

4. Boston Celtics

5. Philadelphia 76ers

6. Indiana Pacers

7. Chicago Bulls

8. New Orleans Hornets

9. Milwaukee Bucks

10. Atlanta Hawks

11. New York Knicks

12. Miami Heat

13. Toronto Raptors

14. Cleveland Cavaliers

15. Washington Wizards

They have a better PG? Who?

I think you are sleeping on the talent the Hawks have and what little chemistry they had last season. This Hawks team is talented enough to be one of the top 4 teams in the Eastern Conference. Whether they get there will be determined by the coach.

If they hire Rick Carlisle, then Atlanta will have a 15 game improvement over last season. Mark it down.

Crawford is a better PG AND he can defend.

Look at our bench.The worst bench in the league

last year.We might have a rookie starting at SG

and I'm not sold on Nazr's health.The guy did have

two foot injuries.We have noway to improve at

all.

Or depth chart looks like this:

Dan Dickau/Chris Crawford/Travis Hansen/Alan Henderson/

Nazr and possibly DJ.I'm not sold on that group.

We have 3 scorers and that is just about it.Chicago has

a deeper bench and has the future new twin towers.We

have such a unbalanced team.If we bring it Rick C things

with not go smoothly with JT and him.Rick is apperently

a real big critic and JT will not do well with that type of

coach.

Alot of question marks right now.It's only pre pre-season

as you said...Things are subject to change, but I just

don't see it right now.

We need to make a serious push for him and shell out some serious cash. I don't care about his ego or whatever, he wins with average talent. The players know their roles and go with it producing results. I would really like to move Glenn Robinson for a player like Matt Harpring or Al Harrington but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. If we are going to stick with the team we have, we need a hardass coach. Ok, we don't have the most talented team in the East but I really don't see why the Larry Brown-less 76ers can be a 5th seed and us not even make the playoffs?

JT/Dickau

Diaw/Hansen

Robinson/DJ?

SAR/Hendu

Ratliff/Nazr

With the right attitude and effort, that team can produce.

"7. Chicago Bulls

8. New Orleans Hornets

9. Milwaukee Bucks

10. Atlanta Hawks"

I think you're highly overrating the Chicago Bulls and underrating the Atlanta Hawks. The Bulls are improving, but they're not quite playoff material this year. I think they made a huge mistake drafting Hinrich over Ford. Atlanta still has 3 good scorers, along with a good defensive presence around the basket in Theo. We did hugely underachieve last year, but there was a lot of turnover (literally and figuratively). We had a solid draft. All that needs to be done is adding a couple of pieces off the bench. Hire a coach like Carlise or my guy Fratello...boom..your team takes off. That being said, here's my East outlook (assuming JKidd re-signs with NJ).

1. New Jersey Nets -still the most talented and experienced team, despite Detroit's addition of Darko.

2. Detroit Pistons -I like what they're doing, but they did my boy Carlise wrong, IMO.

3. Philadelphia 76ers -It all depends on how Ayers and Allen get along. They gotta get AI more scoring help tho.

4. Orlando Magic -I like the addition of Gaines, but TMac still needs more offensive threats around him. Gooden will have to step up even more.

5. Indiana Pacers -They hugely underachieved again. This may be Isiah's last go round with them.

6. Boston Celtics -Yes they got their PG, but they still don't have a 3rd scorer. Hindsight is 20/20. They should've kept Kenny Anderson.

7. Atlanta Hawks -a lotta questions about the coach/GM/owner, but still a solid squad. The addition of Diaw will allow JT and others to focus on doing what they do. A proven coach will carry this team into the playoffs.

8. Milwaukee Bucks -too many questions here. Will GP come back? Will Ford be the man? Who will be their go to guy? They only make the playoffs because of the team below.

9. New Orleans Hornets -George Shinn has really f*cked this franchise up. They let go of Silas for the losingest coach in NBA history? Smart move, idiot. I feel sorry for their fans.

10. Chicago Bulls -One more year before they are playoff bound. They need to decide what will happen with JRose and Jamal Crawford. They could've had Ford but picked Hinrich. We'll see how that pans out.

11. New York Knicks -Solid draft in Sweetney and Lampe. If Lamps is cleared to play, he'll be a star in 2 years. But until then they are lotto bound.

12. Miami Heat -They have lost their identity, but they have stolen the draft 2 years in a row.

13. Toronto Raptors -Bosh will take time to develop. They could've had Ford, but even then they still will not even sniff the playoffs.

14. Washington Wizards -This franchise is a joke. I hope Hayes does well here.

15. LeBron will fill the seats, but after this year Cavs fans want wins, not just entertainment.

J

A couple of points.

1. Allen Iverson won't allow another scorer to be on that team. I've got a feeling the 76ers could implode this year. Randy Ayers won't be nearly as strict on AI as Larry Brown was, and AI will get himself into lots of trouble again. Remember though, AI can't coexist with another scorer. He had Stackhouse at one point, but AI forced Philly to deal him. Philly will eventually pay for hiring a failed college coach just to satisfy Iverson.

2. I think Hinrich is better for the Bulls than Ford. Ford can't shoot nor defend. Hinrich will be better in the triangle offense because he will be able to stretch the defense like Paxson used to. I still don't know why they can't commit to Crawford at point guard though.

Remember Ratliff is healthy and makes a big difference in the lineup.The bench still stinks though and will be a constant problem.Lets say the Hawks make the playoffs at No 6 position do they continue to rebuild when contracts are up? If the goal is to win a championship which it should be for every tema then yes rebuild.If the goal is just ot make the playoffs then guess will settle for a short term fix like the 80's and 90's hawks.

The Hakws frontline can score points but they can't play defense except Ratliff.Also adding Terry and one more year of exrperinece from Dickau and now Diaw I think they can make the playoffs but I am so tired of settling for that has the main goal.Yes you have to make the playoffs to win a championship but there as I and others have stated we are kidding ourselves if we think this team can win a championship.

Philly #3? Why is everyone putting them so high up. What were they this season, #5/#6? Losing Larry Brown will hurt them tremendously IMO and they still have the lack of talent they had this year. How do you get better by keeping the same players and losing a Hall of Fame coach? I really don't see Philly being better than Indiana, Boston or Orlando. To tell you the truth, I don't see why we couldn't be up with or higher than them. Although we don't have a franchise player like Iverson, we are definitely more talented just about every where else down the board and them losing Brown puts them in a similar situation to us.

I think we should definitely look at what's available in trade for SAR and Robinson. I don't see us being able to confidently resign SAR for 15+M in 2 years. And although Robinson doesn't have a long contract and is capable of lighting it up, just doesn't fit into our future plans. We talk about our lack of depth, I think we can move those 2 and some more depth to our club. If we could do a Grob/CC for Spree deal, I wouldn't really worry about a SAR trade for now. I'd like to see what JT/Spree/Diaw/SAR/Theo could do.

Starting over completely is a terrible idea, and it is one I do not think Billy Knight will go with. I think Knight will add to this team via the draft and prepare for the eventual departures of Robinson, Ratliff, and possibly Abdur-Rahim. If DerMarr regains his health and picks up where he left off, then the Hawks have their back court completed, IMO with Johnson, Terry, and Diaw.

Knight delt Shareef before....He'd probably do it again

without thinking twice.

Look at our team vs. Chicago:

JT vs. Crawford-JC will be better this year

Boris Diaw vs.. Trenton Hassell-Toss up

Dog vs. Rose-Rose gets a slight edge

Reef vs. Chandler-Reef,but for how long?

Curry vs. Theo-I'd rather have Curry

bench

Dickau/hansen/Dermarr/Hendu/Nazr

Brunson/Mason JR/Hoiberg/Fizer/Marshall/Baxter/Robinson/

Hinrich

Come on now!

JT is better than Crawford. You just can't give the guy any credit. He's statistically one of the top 5 point guards in the game. He's one of only 5 that averages 17+ points and 7+ assists per game, and that was on a team that lacks chemistry.

Diaw's measurables are better than Hassell's, but he's inexperienced. Hassell is a good defender, but that's about it.

Rose is more multi-dimensional than Big Dog, but he has become just as much of a ball hog, and he doesn't play a lick of defense. He will likely be traded before the season starts.

Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry are still young, and they still have a lot to learn.

yson Chandler and Eddy Curry are still young, and they still have a lot to learn."

True true...But Shareef is 27 and still needs to learn

how to pass out of a double team.

"JT is better than Crawford. You just can't give the guy any credit. He's statistically one of the top 5 point guards in the game. He's one of only 5 that averages 17+ points and 7+ assists per game, and that was on a team that lacks chemistry."

I gave him the benefit of the doubt a not too long ago..

but JT giving the ball to Dog for contested 3pt shoots

is not what I had in mind.

Who's to say Crawford will not average 16/6 with better

defense?

"Diaw's measurables are better than Hassell's, but he's inexperienced. Hassell is a good defender, but that's about it."

I basically just threw the Diaw/Hassell matchup out the

door.Diaw will likely better though.

"Rose is more multi-dimensional than Big Dog, but he has become just as much of a ball hog, and he doesn't play a lick of defense. He will likely be traded before the season starts. "

His multi-dimensional game is what gives him the SLIGHT

edge as I said.

Even if we make the playoffs....I look at Cleveland and

Chicago and I see their potential compaired to ours.Un

less Dermarr and Dickau become really good players

it's going to be tough.Those two could very well become

good players,but I'm just not feeling good about our

situation.

Philly was #4 actually, but i don't think Losing Larry Brown will set them back. Just my opinion. Think about it. They have to deal with his "I'm thinking about retiring, coaching UNC, coaching another team" circus each offseason. Ayers may be an unknown product, but give him a chance. He knows the players, and i have a feeling AI will do well under him. Unlike some people on this board. The problem Philly has always had is that they do not surround AI with another legitimate scoring frontcourt player. KVH will not cut it. Philly still has a deeper bench than us, and much more experience. I'm not putting our Hawks down at all, but I'm only saying do not rate them higher than the Sixers just yet

I'd say 85 to 90% of Philly's season, and to a great deal, their future, depends, as it always has, on one man: AI. If he takes Brown's departure as a personal challenge, to make it truly his team, without the coach sharing the limelight, then he has to make this statement now. He's been in the L several years now...and has stagnated. He has alluded to hitting the weight room etc. now that Brown's gone...time will tell if this is true, if it will continue...and if it will matter.

Hotlantadude is definitely overrating CHICAGO. They will have their troubles... at best, they are in the same boat as us!

Theres TOO MANY QUESTION MARKS in the east. But heres some sure bets to make the playoffs...

- Detroit. Same team, more depth and more talent.

- Philly. Iverson = playoffs in the EAST.

- Orlando. McGrady = playoffs in the EAST.

- Indy (assuming Oneal+BMiller stays). Still one of the well-rounded teams in the east.

- New Orleans. Also well-rounded team.

- Boston. They always find a way to play in the playoffs

those 6, i expect them to go back to the playoffs.

---------------------------------------------------------

guys that will fight for the final 2 spots....

- Bucks. They squeezed in last year but they lost Cassell. We are about to find out how good TJ FORD will be...

- Hawks. Chemistry is killing us. We got the roster/talent. Best way to sum it up- We can beat the Kings and lose to Bulls the next game. If Chemistry improves + less turnovers, playoffs here we come! if not, expect the same/similiar record as last year.

- Knicks. Houston had a career year last year but Sprewell and friends arent exactly stepping up. McDysse certainly plays a factor here.

- Raptors. They're inconsistant as well. Carter can easily hang with the superstars in the NBA, but is he reliable? how focused is he? raptors will go as far as Carter takes them.

- Heat. Had their streaks of wins/losses. Added Wade and Riley is still one of the best. If Mourning comes back anywhere close, watch out!

----------------------------------------------------------

time to look forward to next years draft

- Washington. MJ set them back another year, maybe 2 years.

- Cleveland. As good as LeBron is, i dont see the worse team making the playoffs with a rookie in 1 year. This is the NBA, it isint high school anymore- LeBron still has lots to prove against the TOP COMPETITION.

Being truthful and being negitive a 2 different things.

Who has the better bench?How is Theo better than

Curry?Theo just blocks shots while Eddy will score

AND rebound.

I'm not wearing rosey colored glasses.It's that simple.

This team has done nothing to give me belief.They let

us all down this season.They havent earned respect.