• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dolphins may have tipped their hand: NOT Jake Long

Admin

My top 2 guys are Gholston and Chris Long and those are the only defensive players that I can see Miami taking. I could then see the Rams taking Dorsey and that would leave Jake Long for the Falcons, unless they really are in love with Ryan frown.gif

Quote:

During a Thursday press conference with the media, Miami Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland might have given a big hint as to the team’s plans for the first overall pick.

Or maybe not.

“I’m going after the player who best fits us,” Ireland said. ”That’s the best way I can say it. I don’t want bad guys on my team. Of course I want guys who have great upside; it’s the first pick in the draft. You hope that this guy is a pillar of your defense for a long time. Of course we think he’s going to have upside. I, the economics, to me . . . ”

And then Ireland was interrupted by delayed laughter. And then he clarified, to more laughter, that he meant defense or offense. He even called it a Freudian slip. (Actually, this is a Freudian slip.)

Though the press conference is available without editing on the team’s official web site, the quotes circulated by the team’s P.R. department replaced “defense” with “[team]” — and omitted any reference to the unscripted moment of comedy that broke out during the event.

Surely, there’s a guy at the top of the team’s draft board. The fact that they started the negotiation process with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long doesn’t mean that he’s the guy. The fact that Ireland said “pillar of your defense” strongly suggests to us that they have settled on a defensive player as the pick, and perhaps that they weren’t even all that serious about drafting Jake Long. Or maybe Long was the guy and they’ve exhausted the possibilities of signing him and have now moved on to a defensive player, like Vernon Gholston or Chris Long.

Regardless, we think “pillar of your defense” wasn’t a misstatement.

That is some funny stuff ! I can see Arthur Blank doing the same thing .....by mistake.

Great news for Falcons fans !

Chris Long and Vernon Gholston will be great pros but don't fit a "need" after the Falcons drafted another DE #8 over all last year.

With the Dolphin losing Z Thomas and J Taylor aging those 2 guys make the most sense. I could also see you guys taking the best available CB with your 2nd round pick. Parcells was the only guy who saw somthing in Romo so I believe he may truely like that young QB on your roster.

(I'm NOT just saying that b/c I don't want your Dolphins "stealing" the QB Dimitroff wants with your 2nd rounder at #32...... As long as one of Brohm, Henne, or Flacco are left for the Falcons at #34 then I can sleep at night....LOL)

Brohm and Dorsey would be the best case scenerio in my mind.

To think..... IF the Falcons had the #1 pick this year it would probably still be Dorsey or J Long.

and

If we had the #1 pick LAST season it would have probably been Brohm.

How sweet would that be for the Falcons !

I kindof agree with you about the Falcons needing to hijack this draft. If there is anything they could do at 3 to shake things up it will likely work to their advantage in the 2 and 3rd rounds with so many picks.

Many trading down to 8. I really like the OG/OT with Virginia, Albert. Guys looks like a stud.

I loved Dorsey but I do think there are injury concerns.

The Falcons board should be best available with so many needs. Jake Long 1 and Chris Long 2. Above all else the Falcons need a leader and I think Chris Long is a HOFer and leader and I don't think you pass on him because you drafted an end last year. You have to build strengths and I think Chris Long would be a great player to have. Take the Hall of Famer with no current injury history, please.

Hawk88

Quote:

If I were a falcon fan I would hijack the draft and pick Mcfadden force a team to deal with you.

I don't endorse this sort of move. You are playing with fire and could easily get burned.

If J. Long is available you draft him, next Dorsey, third is a toss-up with Albert and Ryan. With the projection that all the OTs being selected in R1, Albert is the better choice. Two of the 3 2nd rounders gets us back into the middle of R1 where another need can be taken care of mainly QB (Brohm) or CB.

As for C Long, no way. This team has too many other pressing needs to spend a high 1st round pick on a kid that looks like he's maxed out on potential. He may be a high-motor DE, but that is an area of luxery instead of need. Do you all realize that we had Justin Blalock, a guard, playing RT during mini-camp? We have to get 2-3 OT in this draft just to fill out the roster. CB is another area of glaring need. Even though QB is another area of need, passing on a QB this draft wouldn't be disasterous. Essentially use this year to build up everything else, and then go after Stafford or Tebow next year.

Quote:

Quote:

If I were a falcon fan I would hijack the draft and pick Mcfadden force a team to deal with you.

I don't endorse this sort of move. You are playing with fire and could easily get burned.

If J. Long is available you draft him, next Dorsey, third is a toss-up with Albert and Ryan. With the projection that all the OTs being selected in R1, Albert is the better choice. Two of the 3 2nd rounders gets us back into the middle of R1 where another need can be taken care of mainly QB (Brohm) or CB.

I would be torn between Albert and Ellis.

Since the OL will go quicker then DT in the draft, then I guess Albert is the pick and prey a good DT is still their in the early 2nd round. OT will be gone by the 2nd round. Maybe the big DT out of Texas will still be around in the 2nd.

There are 3 or maybe 4 DTs that can be taken in the 2nd, so yeah, we can fill that hole in the 2nd. I just have a hard time passing a guy like Dorsey who looks like he'll be the next dominant DT. Not saying that I have anything to do with the Falcons, but IF I were doing the drafting, Dorsey would be hard to pass on.

Brohm is another guy that I just think will have a terrific carreer. I know critics say he's too mechanical in his reads, but I am not sure what that means. He checks down through receivers, I don't see how that is a bad thing. His arm is as strong as Flacco's and his accuracy is tremendous. Thus, I would like to see him as a Falcon, but that is a personal choice. Need-based choices say pass on QB this year...