• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin hater thread exclusive

Sasquatch

Quote:

No matter how much you hate him, you have to be happy for himand our franchise tonight. Regardlessof how the game turned out, this organization NEEDED Marvin to show SOMETHING in this series. Whether you want to trade him and need his value increased, or if you love him and want him to be a key cog in our future, either way you needed him to have a good game. Showing some toughness by coming back in (and tackling Perkins on one of those last key possessions to help us procure the rebound
wink.gif
)only makes it sweeter.

Pretty much every player on our team had "their moment" of this series.
I thought Marvin had about 2.5 good games coming into tonight, but in this game he had a few of his own moments, and it kind of completes the series in my mind. each of these Hawks coming back next season, no matter how ugly it gets on Sunday...;)

GREAT WIN

[censored] yeah! Well said.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvin had a good game and without his performance tonight, we indeed don't win the game. Having said that, he's still isn't playing like a #2 pick. He's mostly a spot up mid range jump shooter who occasionally goes to the hole. When his jump shot isn't falling, he can't contribute to the team offensively since he can't create his own shot, has no post moves and isn't a good rebounder. His shot was falling tonight and I'm happy for that. As I've told people over since Marvin's rookie year, at his peak, he's a slightly better version of Al Harrington. That being the case, he's not playing like a #2 pick. Let's just hope his made range jumper continues to fall in Boston

Marvin had one good game last night good for him. When I am talking about is Marvin's long term potential not just next season. Determining a player's potential can be difficult the good GMs understand what key things to look for the bad ones don't and hang on to the players to long cauing the franchise to overpay on a long term deal or get nothing at all for the player in a trade.

What I see in Marvin is a player who isn't agressive, doesn't want to be the man on offense, doesn't do the little things like mixing up to fight for rebounds a bit of uncordination overall. The small forward position you must be a force in the league if you want a team to be a contender. Besides JJ the Hawk's have no consistent scorers teams are not afraid of.

That word potential is over used so many players have it yet many don't realize it. Marvin and Smoove are very young and the franchise can't afford to carry both on the team for long term success. Smoove is a tweener yet seems to have the better potential. The Hawk's desperately need a big body to join Horford to player center or power forward.You simply can't win consistently against better teams with both Marvin and Smoove in the lineup.

Yes last night was great for Marvin but having one good game in 6 doesn't change the fact he'll never live up to his potential .I am not saying that because of Paul or Williams simply you have to unload a player while he has value or your team suffers. I doubt BK is intelligent enough to understand Marvin and Smoove in the same lineup isn't good for the franchise.

Great win last night!

• Premium Member

Quote:

That word potential is over used so many players have it yet many don't realize it. Marvin and Smoove are very young and the franchise can't afford to carry both on the team for long term success. Smoove is a tweener yet seems to have the better potential. The Hawk's desperately need a big body to join Horford to player center or power forward.You simply can't win consistently against better teams with both Marvin and Smoove in the lineup.

I doubt BK is intelligent enough to understand Marvin and Smoove in the same lineup isn't good for the franchise.

I wonder how the Hawks are out rebounding the Celtics in every home game this series. I wonder how they have even won one game in this series if what you say is true. The answer is...You are bias toward your own team! People can't accept the fact that this team is growing up right in front of their eyes. Posters want to hang on to their personal player evaluations from the past to try to predict what will happen in the future.

This is our team now. I am certain we will add pieces to our core as we go forward but this our team that we can be proud of! So stop over analyzing the Hawks and enjoy the success. It would be much easier to enjoy the sport if you changed your perspective.

i wouldnt call myself a hater but i have definitely swayed my opinion of him to the one that says he has reached a peak and needs to start playing like we need him to. this was a good game for him tonight....

but honestly i think next game, if he plays, we need him to score 20+...i want him to star in the game, not just produce nicely.

Quote:

I am a Marvin hater. He played awesome tonight, but the thing that sucks is that this is the same thing that happened in the regular season. We'd write him off, he'd play one good (but not great) game and everyone starts saying "see hes got all the talent in the world, just give him time" then they are content with his suckiness.

IT's called SHOWING FLASHES

Josh Smith used to do the same thing but conveniently people forget that.

"Oh but Marvin's the same age and played in college"

Please. Players progress at different rates. And with Smoove's superior athleticism, his learning curve was a lot less steep

Again in alost 1/4 of the games this season Marvin has scored 19+ points. He's had the best games of his career this year including a 27/11 game, 25/8 game, 24/7 game, 26/9 game, and of course the 33/7 game

It is beyond absurd to write him offf as a player who's peaked given the flashes he's shown and given his youth and experience as a starter. This is the guy's 2nd season as a starter since HIGH SCHOOL yet people think he can no longer progress in spite of all the things that suggest otherwise.

It's clear that some people have an agenda because they cannot let the Chris Paul/Deron Williams deal go, so no matter what type of potential Marvin has, no matter him showing the flashes of reaching it, because in his 3rd season he pales in comparison to these guys, they don't want him on the team any longer because he only serves to provide memories for that draft day (arguably hindsight) decision.

Quote:

Marvin had a good game and without his performance tonight, we indeed don't win the game. Having said that, he's still isn't playing like a #2 pick. He's mostly a spot up mid range jump shooter who occasionally goes to the hole. When his jump shot isn't falling, he can't contribute to the team offensively since he can't create his own shot, has no post moves and isn't a good rebounder. His shot was falling tonight and I'm happy for that. As I've told people over since Marvin's rookie year, at his peak, he's a slightly better version of Al Harrington. That being the case, he's not playing like a #2 pick. Let's just hope his made range jumper continues to fall in Boston

This is such stupid logic.

So because Marvin Williams isn't playing like a #2 pick (what does that even mean considering all the players who weren't all world taken there) it means we have to bash the guy?

Does Josh Childress play like a top 5 or whatever pick?

NO but he plays a pivotal role.

This individual BS is ridiculous. Chris Paul vs Marvin WIlliams. No it's the Atlanta Hawks vs whoever. If Acie Law, Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Al Horford is the best young core in the entire Eastern Conference and 2nd to Portland in the entire NBA, I don't give a flying ***** what type of apples to oranges/hindsight comparisons you want to make.

If that core has enough potential to hoist up the trophy one of these seasons, then that's all that matters.

Quote:

Quote:

This is such stupid logic.

So because Marvin Williams isn't playing like a #2 pick (what does that even mean considering all the players who weren't all world taken there) it means we have to bash the guy?

Does Josh Childress play like a top 5 or whatever pick?

NO but he plays a pivotal role.

This individual BS is ridiculous. Chris Paul vs Marvin WIlliams. No it's the Atlanta Hawks vs whoever. If Acie Law, Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Al Horford is the best young core in the entire Eastern Conference and 2nd to Portland in the entire NBA, I don't give a flying ***** what type of apples to oranges/hindsight comparisons you want to make.

If that core has enough potential to hoist up the trophy one of these seasons, then that's all that matters.

My point is when you draft someone with the #2 pick in the draft, relative to the other players in that draft, you're deemed to be the 2nd best talent in that draft and an impact franchise player. Marvin Williams is a 3rd year player who is, for the most part, a spot up mid range jump shooter and when his jump shot isn't falling, since he's not a very good rebounder or person who can create his own shot off of the dribble, there's little he contributes offensively. As you say, similar to Childress, he plays a pivotal role for the Hawks but you don't draft a player with the #2 pick in the draft if you're seeking a role player.

Josh Childress has indeed become a very strong role player and he's not having the impact one would expect a top 6 pick to have but he doesn't get the vitriol that Marvin gets because he wasn't drafted in front of a couple of guys who are perennial all stars at a position of severe need. If Marvin had been the #2 pick in the Bargnani draft, I highly doubt he'd receive the venom he currently does.

Who cares if Marvin was the no2 pick in the draft. In creating a team you have to have a vision of what a player's potential is. Marvin will get better but how much? Based on the season you simply can't have both Smoove and Marvin in the same lineup IF YOU WANT TO WIN CHAMPIONHSIPS. If you want to remain mediocre than by all means continue the same course.

Small forwards should be one of the better offensive threats on a team unless your blessed like San Antonio . Marvin doesn't have the aggression to go inside consistently he likes to shoot the 15 footer and if that isn't going down he has no offensive game.

I think Marvin has potential so do many players but to create the team that has a chance to win championships I wou ld put him on the trade block to see who might offer something to fill another piece to the puzzle.