• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No wonder people think LeBron is leaving Cleveland

• Premium Member

Look at this quote from Cavs' owner Dan Gilbert, explaining the reasoning behind LeBron's lack of help:

Quote:

"Everyone points to Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. But do you call Tony Parker and (Manu) Ginobili "sidekicks" to Tim Duncan? I don't think so," Gilbert explained.

Umm...Parker and Ginobili are 100 times better than any player on the Cavs' roster who doesn't have a French article in his name...

Am I confused. In that statement isnt he saying they are stars along with Timmy and not just sidekicks. Pointing out the fact that Lebron doesnt have those type of stars with him on the Cavs.

• Moderators

Quote:

Am I confused. In that statement isnt he saying they are stars along with Timmy and not just sidekicks. Pointing out the fact that Lebron doesnt have those type of stars with him on the Cavs.

I don't get the quote either. Maybe more context would help.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't get the quote either. Maybe more context would help.

Quote:

No "Sidekick" For LeBron James?

By: Wendell Maxey Last Updated: 5/21/08 5:47 AM ET | 4675 times read

Adjust font size:Even days after Cleveland lost in Game 7 to the Boston Celtics, Cavaliers majority owner and chairman Dan Gilbert is still having trouble gripping reality.

"I'm trying to get out of my depression slowly from it," Gilbert said Tuesday.

"I thought we were going to win that game. I think everybody did. Clearly we have more work to do and we're going to do it."

That offseason "work to do" agenda starts now, regardless if Gilbert, General Manager Danny Ferry and head coach Mike Brown like it or not. And while the Cavaliers fell short of their goal this season losing in the second round, a full summer awaits the chance to improve the roster.

"We're going to work this summer to get better and better and we'll look at everything. We're going to let a little time go by then re-group and look at everything objectively, try and get better and get to where we ultimately need to be," Gilbert continued.

But while Gilbert admitted he is proud of the front office and Cavs coaching staff for their willingness to "take some risks" - particularly with the February trade deadline that brought Wally Szczerbiak, Ben Wallace and Delonte West to Cleveland - clearly there is still some offseason business to conduct.

The question now –or shall we say "again" – is, can the Cavs obtain a Robin to LeBron James' Batman?

For Gilbert though, the whole "sidekick" analogy simply doesn't apply.

"Everyone points to Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. But do you call Tony Parker and (Manu) Ginobili "sidekicks" to Tim Duncan? I don't think so," Gilbert explained.

"A lot of people focus on the means instead of the ends in this business. They'll focus on the offense or the defense, a point guard or a 'sidekick'. But for me there is a lot of ways to get there – to get to a championship – which is LeBron's goal, and the ownerships goal – so I can't really comment if it's a 'sidekick'."

Some members of the media even argue this summer -more than those most recent- is the chance for the Cavs organization to show James just how serious they are about building a championship team.

Although Gilbert feels this year's squad had "better team chemistry", there remains concern to surround James with at least one other player who can help take the pressure, not only off of James, but the Cavs as a whole. If not, perhaps James will look outside of Cleveland it two years when he could opt for free agency.

Both the New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets are apparently courting King James.

For some owners, that would be a lot of pressure to deal with, but apparently Gilbert is not one of them.

"We all put a lot of pressure on ourselves. I'm not sure if there would be any less of a desire to win from the people in this organization no matter who was playing on the team," Gilbert said.

What then does Gilbert think about James' long term future in Cleveland?

"It's something I don't really think about or worry about.

"We have no reason to doubt with LeBron James, or any player, and their commitment to be with the Cleveland Cavaliers based on the organization we've built and we are building. That's something I don't worry about because I believe we do the right things, not only with LeBron but any player who would consider us one of the teams when they're a free agent."

While ownership will cross James' contract bridge when the organization comes to it, the matter at hand is to "get better no matter what the obstacles are" for the Cavs this summer. And while Gilbert places his trust in both Ferry and Brown to make the necessary adjustments this offseason, Gilbert himself knows those chances could come at any cost.

"There is always a willingness to look at anything," Gilbert said.

"You can always get better, right?"

At this point I am convinced that Lebron will never win anything in Cleveland, and will only be successful elsewhere.

First of all I think Lebron needs an attitude change. Ever since he started making the playoffs 2 years ago there are always news of how he is unhappy with how he is not getting any help, how management should go after this or that guy and so on. This is problematic for a couple of reasons:

- first, I think he needs to take more responsibility. It can't be one day "a lebron james team" and the next "we need more help," especially when he hasnt developed a post up game or a consistent jumper 5 years into the league.

- Second, and most important, this whole "I need help now" attitude, especially coupled with all the expectations that he might leave cleveland if he doesnt get it, is preventing cleveland from really building for consistent success. He is 23 years old, cleveland should be matching him with other youngsters with potential in order to build a dynasty, not trading away for old players in an attempt to win now.

Imagine if cleveland had obtained Jason Kidd as he clearly wanted. Or just look at the trade that was actually made, getting them 3 players who are overpaid and over 30 and overpaid.

It is one thing for Boston to mortgage its future to bring in all stars to help Paul Pierce at the tail end of his peak years. Its another to get old fast to appease a 23 year old, leaving the team too good to get anything in the draft, too over the cap to sign anyone meaningful, but not good enough to win the championship.