• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

thoughts on upcoming offseason(kinda long)...

TheRealDray

my wishes for additions to the team are similar to what Joe was speaking about after the playoff series. It really would help this team alot to get some veteran presence on the roster. I dont know if the $ could work, but looking at some players who are strictly free agents that I would like to see 1-3 of them picked up, in addition to the apparent signing of David Anderson-

Rather than bringing in another backup pg, I think Acie will play a bigger role for the team next season as the backup 1, almost splitting time w/ Bibby. However, if a pg was signed Juan Dixon or Lindsey Hunter would be top choices, they should be fairly inexpensive, and both have been on winning teams in the past. If Dixon then JJ or Chil(hopefully re-signed) would more than likely bring the ball up.

I think that w/ Law playing more as well as Bibby, JJ and JC having the ability to handle the ball well vs pressure that a backup 2/3 maybe small 4 type player would be more likely. Micheal Finley, James Posey(top choice, but he has a player option), Matt Barnes, and Jarvis Hayes would be good additions. My criteria for the position would again be a solid vet from a winning team, play solid defense-Posey in particular, and can shoot well from outside to help balance the floor better. Hayes is not the defender that the other 3 are, but if given a chance for more pt I think he could be a boost off the bench, as well as coming back closer to home.

Now, despite bringing Anderson over, I would still bring in another solid big man. Preferably a strong defensive presence, and veteran leader. My top choice would be Kurt Thomas. He wont come in and kill you offensively(like Diop), my other choice would depend on his health and desire to still play, but if we could bring in Zo I think just guys seeing how hard he plays the game would be a big influence. If we have Al and Anderson and Z already in a rotation, Zo would not have to be counted on for huge minutes, so as not to tire him out at his age.

Other options could be Francisco Elson, Diop-prolly too pricey and not strong offensive skill set. Also, Najera would be a great pickup, but I think he could be a little more costly for the team.

I know chances are slim that we do much more than re-sign Josh Smith and Childress, which I would like to see, but to get to that next step, the team needs someone to look to which was all too evident in Boston. However, I would much rather be going into an offseason after playoffs and trying to figure out how to advance farther, than trying to figure out how to even sniff the playoffs like we have had to endure these past few seasons.

GO HAWKS!!!

I've been intrigued by Matt Barnes since he blew up in the playoffs last year for GS. I mean he was awesome, energy through the roof, all over the place making positive plays both offensively and defensively. And he sports a mohawk headbang.gif , which is a definite plus in my book. Team Barnes mohawk with Chillz 'fro and we'd have two of the coolest heads of hair in the NBA. But he's coming off a downer of a season, and he ended pretty much the final 1/3 of the season firmly in Nellie's doghouse, and his lack of minutes reflected that. So we'd probably be able to get him on the cheap.

I read an article in the San Francisco paper the other day that stated out of the troika of Barnes, Mickael Pietrus, and Kelenna Azubuike- at least two of those three will not be back next season. Azubuike's an RFA, but he'd be a hell of a good get if we're looking to add another wing player. He's still very young (24), good shooter, and he can hit the 3.

Quote:

I've been intrigued by Matt Barnes since he blew up in the playoffs last year for GS. I mean he was awesome, energy through the roof, all over the place making positive plays both offensively and defensively. And he sports a mohawk
headbang.gif
, which is a definite plus in my book. Team Barnes mohawk with Chillz 'fro and we'd have two of the coolest heads of hair in the NBA. But he's coming off a downer of a season, and he ended pretty much the final 1/3 of the season firmly in Nellie's doghouse, and his lack of minutes reflected that. So we'd probably be able to get him on the cheap.

I read an article in the San Francisco paper the other day that stated out of the troika of Barnes, Mickael Pietrus, and Kelenna Azubuike- at least two of those three will not be back next season. Azubuike's an RFA, but he'd be a hell of a good get if we're looking to add another wing player. He's still very young (24), good shooter, and he can hit the 3.

Can Barnes shoot? I think that should be a prerequisite for anyone the Hawks look to add in the offseason (aside from a backup center, of course).

Quote:

Quote:

I've been intrigued by Matt Barnes since he blew up in the playoffs last year for GS. I mean he was awesome, energy through the roof, all over the place making positive plays both offensively and defensively. And he sports a mohawk
headbang.gif
, which is a definite plus in my book. Team Barnes mohawk with Chillz 'fro and we'd have two of the coolest heads of hair in the NBA. But he's coming off a downer of a season, and he ended pretty much the final 1/3 of the season firmly in Nellie's doghouse, and his lack of minutes reflected that. So we'd probably be able to get him on the cheap.

Can Barnes shoot? I think that should be a prerequisite for anyone the Hawks look to add in the offseason (aside from a backup center, of course).

He's not a great shooter, and he's not at ALL a good 3 point shooter- so yeah, you're probably right. I still like him though. He's a terrific energy player, and he always gives you the stereotypic '110 percent'.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

headbang.gif

He's not a great shooter, and he's not at ALL a good 3 point shooter- so yeah, you're probably right. I still like him though. He's a terrific energy player, and he always gives you the stereotypic '110 percent'.

Yeah, I just think another 3 point shooter would alleviate a ton of problems for this team.

I agree with the assessment of Barnes. Tough player that could provide a lot off the bench in terms of attitude and the will to impose his will on the game. But Floydian is right, we need a shooter BAD. That said, there is no real reason that the Hawks couldn't add Barnes and a shooter. Sign Barnes and then use Chiildress in an SNT to get that shooter we desperately need. Barnes takes Childress' place as the energy and base-line garbage man, while the shooter creates space for everyone. Win-win in my book.