• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

5 best players to enter NBA in last 5 years

Packfill

There was a post a few months ago that showed how Al's numbers stacked up against some of the best bigs rookie years, Al was right there with all of them in terms of points, boards and blocks, I will try to find it when I have some time.

Your assertion about Melo is certainly your choice, but for me a guy that wilts under pressure and causes off-court issues is worth less than a consistent post player, all other things being equal.

Furthermore, I think I am reading your question differently than you intended. If you are only referencing this year's statistics, then yes, Melo is a better scorer than Al. In terms of defense and boards, Al is better. However, I am thinking more in terms of potential careers. Al, to me, has a significantly brighter future than Melo, unless Melo toughens up mentally and stops getting into bad situations off the court.

Quote:

There was a post a few months ago that showed how Al's numbers stacked up against some of the best bigs rookie years, Al was right there with all of them in terms of points, boards and blocks, I will try to find it when I have some time.

Your assertion about Melo is certainly your choice, but for me a guy that wilts under pressure and causes off-court issues is worth less than a consistent post player, all other things being equal.

Furthermore, I think I am reading your question differently than you intended. If you are only referencing this year's statistics, then yes, Melo is a better scorer than Al. In terms of defense and boards, Al is better. However, I am thinking more in terms of potential careers. Al, to me, has a significantly brighter future than Melo, unless Melo toughens up mentally and stops getting into bad situations off the court.

I agree with this completely. Melo's personality and off-court problems knock him off my list, despite all his talent and great scoring ability. And whenever I see him, I always get this sneaking feeling/idea/question of- has this guy already maxed-out as a player? Is this as good as he'll ever be? I don't know why I even wonder about that- but I do.

I put Horford on my list for the same reason as I put Al Jefferson, because I think their future potential is enormous as young, intelligent and motivated, highly talented, high character, tenacious defending, physical as hell, bruiser type big men. I will take those kind of players every day. They are extremely valuable to me. Jefferson shot a cool 50% from the field and put up 21/12 for an absolutely terrible team, and he's only 23. He's freaking awesome, and not that many people seem to realize that.

• Moderators

Quote:

I remember a post about his rebound rate being among the best but his scoring and blocks are not close to other elite rookie big men over the last 25 years.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with this completely. Melo's personality and off-court problems knock him off my list, despite all his talent and great scoring ability. And whenever I see him, I always get this sneaking feeling/idea/question of- has this guy already maxed-out as a player? Is this as good as he'll ever be? I don't know why I even wonder about that- but I do.

I put Horford on my list for the same reason as I put Al Jefferson, because I think their future potential is enormous as young, intelligent and motivated, highly talented, high character, tenacious defending, physical as hell, bruiser type big men. I will take those kind of players every day. They are extremely valuable to me. Jefferson shot a cool 50% from the field and put up 21/12 for an absolutely terrible team, and he's only 23. He's freaking awesome, and not that many people seem to realize that.

If you are going to include Horford and Jefferson don't you also have to include Andrew Bynum, since he is younger then both and but up better numbers then Horford?

Quote:

Quote:

I remember a post about his rebound rate being among the best but his scoring and blocks are not close to other elite rookie big men over the last 25 years.

You are probably right that I conflated the stats. I think, I remember thinking Al graded out in the high teens when compared across all stats. I don't have much time left today to look up that post. Maybe one of the necromancers on the board can find it.