• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks Scouting Department

hawkster411

I'd like to know more about the Hawks scouting department.

Does the Hawks have their own in-house scouts, do they subcontract scouts from different US / International regions?

I'm curious as to who is the mastermind behind all the talent evaluating for the Atlanta Hawks?

- A scout must have seen JJ as a blossoming superstar and inquired BK to make a trade.

- A scout saw something in Josh Smith and told BK to take a chance where 15 or so other teams passed up on him and had no earthly clue about his potential.

- If the same scout positively inquired about the two mentioned above, did he get shafted when he inquired about taking Chris Paul instead of MW on draft night.

I know my conclusions sound subjective, but it's a question I havn't seen or read in this forum. I would like to know the experts advice and their take on this issue. Thanks!

Quote:

- A scout saw something in Josh Smith and told BK to take a chance where 15 or so other teams passed up on him and had no earthly clue about his potential.

This one isn't entirely accurate. A lot of people thought Josh Smith could have been a top 10 pick if he'd gone to college for a year, but a lot of teams saw him as a risk straight out of high school. He wasn't exactly a sleeper.

Quote:

Quote:

This one isn't entirely accurate. A lot of people thought Josh Smith could have been a top 10 pick if he'd gone to college for a year, but a lot of teams saw him as a risk straight out of high school. He wasn't exactly a sleeper.

I think I've heard it mentioned that Josh Smith was the player most likely to be a bust. I guess they couldn't have been more wrong..

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think I've heard it mentioned that Josh Smith was the player most likely to be a bust. I guess they couldn't have been more wrong..

I don't think that was so much a widely held opinion (although scouts clearly agreed he was raw) as a widely publicized opinion from Jay Bilas.

Quote:

I would talk to nbasuperstar40, he could probably enlighten you more on this subject.

Lol. Yeah, he would sure enlighten anyone.