• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The State of the Atlanta Sport Scene by Khao$

khaos7

Woody's extension is a microcosm of, what I feel, is wrong with our sports scene at this moment. Most of the fans on this blog strongly opposed his hire. Yet, he was extended. That isn't to suggest front offices should make trades, coaching and GM hires, and FA signing's based off of fans' reaction. However, when basketball analysts, fans and on lookers alike say that said coach and the personel of a team don't compliment each other and the HC doesn't get the most out of his players, it behooves management to listen.

In my eyes, Woodson's hire was purely economics driven. And regardless of whether people think fans should dictate how owners spend their dollars, they shouldn't be in the sports business if they aren't making logical moves to get on the winning path. We don't have to buy tickets. Teams can't be ran like McDonalds or Hewlett Packard where the bottom line is wins on Wall Street. Winning on the field, court, and ice is what drives up profitability in sports, in most cases.

That said, our sports scene leaves a lot to be desired right now. The Thrashers don't have a coach or a GM (what is Waddell's position now?). They failed to build on a playoff berth and got rid of an important piece (Hossa) in the process.

The Falcons just went through the Michael Vick debacle, Bobby Petrino "era", and are now rebuilding. Sadly, as much as Arthur Blank has shelled out in dollars and tried to engage the public, this team has spiraled backwards. Top flight coaches have spurred this team in the public. We hope Dimitroff will bring New England's winning culture (sans Spygate) to the ATL.

The Braves have a more excusable situation. 14 years of excellence is hard to maintain. Smoltz and Glavine won't pitch forever. Bobby Cox is closing in on retirement. It's time for them to think about rebuilding. Although we knew it was coming, it's painful to watch the losing. However, we can't complain about much else, other than winning just one championship. That said, we'll one day look back and wish those days still existed.

That brings us to our Hawks. We know the story. Losing for 9 years. Kruger. Stotts. Rider. Billy Knight. Babcock. No Chris Paul. Shelden's promise. Speedy's inflated contract. Woody. Belkin. Lawsuits. The Handshake...or lack thereof.

I remember years ago, people touted Atlanta as being the place everybody wanted to come to. However, if we look at our sports scene in its totality, the Braves are no longer getting hometown discounts from players. Well known coaching prospects downed opportunites to coach the Falcons. GM prospects (with no experience) reportedly are turning down the Hawks and the front office (again reportedly) chooses to go cheap instead of better. Players have become discouraged with the Thrashers.

As fans of the teams of this city, when will these organizations give us products we deserve? Braves excluded (and to a lesser degree the Falcons) we've been fed mediocre products and it seems these organizations are saying "you're going to take it and enjoy it."

We deserve better than this. GM's coach and run our teams. Coaches with the lowest winning percentages in watered down conferences lead our squads. Faceless ownership groups buy our teams for tax purposes. Pending litigation. Locked up quarterbacks. Draft picks that make no sense...

And yet, the national media wonders why the fans seem indifferent. I believe we have a passionate, yet intelligent fanbase. We support our teams to the tilt. However, can we dismiss someone that refuses to pay money for products that seem to have no direction? That's been the attitude of our fans for years. Truthfully, other than Cubs fans, that's the attitude of most people when it comes to their discretionary dollars in the midst of rising food, gas, and household expenses.

As a native of this city, it pains me to watch this. It's de ja vu all over again (like Yogi Berra said). It's almost like a return to the 80's. Well, if we have to go back to the 80's, when we were dubbed losersville, at least the Hawks won back then.

Maybe it's back to the future time.

Good post and reflects much of what I think.

In terms of attendence, we have to recognize that the native Atlantan is also a miniority in the region. Most adults that live here are transplants from the NE. There is no reason for these transplants to become fans of the local teams until the local teams show that they are winners.

I agree that the Braves are now at the end of an era. The decission to bring back Glavine just isn't working. Smoltz appears to be done. These are sad days for Braves fans. However, the organization is strong. The minor leagues are stocked with talent. The Braves can trade off a couple of assests in July to build toward 2009, much like the White Sox did the season before they won the World Series. Tex should bring a windfall of near major league prospects. That MLB requires Liberty to keep payroll at or above 90-95 million is a huge plus.

The Falcons get a pass from me for the next few seasons. The Vick thing was unpredictable and it set the franchise back enormously. That said, McKey really did a poor job over the past 3 seasons in the draft and those bad drafts had a multiplicative effect once the Vick issue happened. Then add in the decission to hire the Coward, and you have a club that had no right to win as many games as they did. I have no problem if the Falcons win only 4 games this season. The club needs top-tier talent and another bad season sets the club up for a run starting in 2010.

Now to the ASG FUBAR (great word for this mess). There really isn't more to say than that. Its just an unbelievable mess.

As the 90s were golden, the 2000s are a pit of dispare for the native Atlantan. There is hope for baseball and football, but until the ASG gets reconfigured/dissolved there is little hope for B-ball and hockey.

I just hope we have a reversal of hope in the near future. I just want our teams to become more championship minded. At times, though, it seems we either go safe or cheap. We're to large of a market to have this go on.

You're right. Being a transplant city adds to the complexity of our situation.

Quote:

You're right. Being a transplant city adds to the complexity of our situation.

I lived in Washington DC for 9 years - the worst transplant city in the nation. But they are absolutely passionate about the Skins. No telling how many years the waiting list is for season tickets.

I actually think the Falcons are going to be a lot better than people think. The NFC South is not a strong division, in fact, it might just be the weakest in the NFL. The Falcons also don't have a very strong schedule this year, and a lot of the young players we had last year are making gigantic strides. We've got real NFL coaches, and I believe that'll make a world of difference not only for our young players, but the few veterans that we still have. We might be able to squeak out 9 wins next season (at the absolute best) and win the division.

The Hawks need a veteran post defender and veteran wingman. If you add those 2 pieces, then we've got a good team that will be a contender in the East.

Quote:

I actually think the Falcons are going to be a lot better than people think. The NFC South is not a strong division, in fact, it might just be the weakest in the NFL. The Falcons also don't have a very strong schedule this year, and a lot of the young players we had last year are making gigantic strides. We've got
real
NFL coaches, and I believe that'll make a world of difference not only for our young players, but the few veterans that we still have. We might be able to squeak out 9 wins next season (at the absolute best) and win the division.

The Hawks need a veteran post defender and veteran wingman. If you add those 2 pieces, then we've got a good team that will be a contender in the East.

9 wins!?!? Wow, that would be amazing.

I don't see it. The o-line still is problematic. The d-line is full of 2nd stringers. The corners are young and the safeties are old. Our best defender has been accused of domestic violence.

The qb situation is interesting, but Ryan isn't going to lite it up ala Big Ben this season. Redman is a nice b-u qb, but he isn't going to win many games for us.

I really don't expect more than 4-5 wins next season.

Quote:

Quote:

I actually think the Falcons are going to be a lot better than people think. The NFC South is not a strong division, in fact, it might just be the weakest in the NFL. The Falcons also don't have a very strong schedule this year, and a lot of the young players we had last year are making gigantic strides. We've got
real
NFL coaches, and I believe that'll make a world of difference not only for our young players, but the few veterans that we still have. We might be able to squeak out 9 wins next season (at the absolute best) and win the division.

I don't see it. The o-line still is problematic. The d-line is full of 2nd stringers. The corners are young and the safeties are old. Our best defender has been accused of domestic violence.

The qb situation is interesting, but Ryan isn't going to lite it up ala Big Ben this season. Redman is a nice b-u qb, but he isn't going to win many games for us.

I really don't expect more than 4-5 wins next season. The oline will improve. We have an early 2nd round pick and a first rounder on the left side now. We have other capable guys and we have a real oline coach and not some BS college guy. The same on defense. Ray Hamilton is on of the best Dline coaches in the league,Chuck Smith is helping at OTA's.

Our safeties are NOT old. Lawyer Milloy is 34 but the rest are very young.Daren Stone is in his 2nd year,Jimmy Williams in his 3rd,Thomas DeCoud is a very talented rook and Erik Coleman is a young vet at 26 that has had success his first few years in the NFL. The Dline isn't full of 2nd stringers. Abraham and Anderson (he'll be alot better this year) are starters,Jonathan Babineaux looked great last year when Coleman was out,which was the whole season,he was once a 2nd round pick for a reason.and he showed why last year. Our new scheme doen't call for great man corners.We have 3 of the best CB's to come out of the SEC in the last 2 years,Brent Grimes is also very talented. We no longer have that garbage in the middle even though tthe garbage just moved outside to continue to suck. We have a REAL MLB in Lofton now,Brooking was a joke in the middle.

In the NFC South the last place team always wins the next year and we have upgraded greatly in coaching and at most positions.We'll do alot better than most may expect.

We won 4 games with a joke of a coaching staff and the Vick situation and a LOT of injuries to key spots.U have to be out of your mind to not think we'll win more than last year.

Quote:

Quote:

real

I really don't expect more than 4-5 wins next season.

The O-line will be much better than it was last year. It was so terrible last year because we had college coaches trying to teach professionals how to play the game. Not to mention that I think Baker will be an improvement over Gandy. Our D-line is not full of 2nd stringers. Abraham is still one of the better pass rushers in the league, and Babineaux has shown that he is a great interior pass rusher as well. Our success on the defensive line hinges on whether or not Jamaal Anderson develops into a good pass rusher. He's very good against the run, but in order for our defense to excel, he has to become a good pass rusher. Bottom line is our head coach was the defensive line coach for the Super Bowl winning Ravens, and we have enough raw talent for him to create a good d-line. Chris Houston was one of the best rookiee CBs in the league last year, and he is a very good cornerback period. Lawyer Milloy is old, but he's a leader and will always have a positive effect on the entire defense. I believe Brent Grimes is a player who will surprise me, and everyone else in Atlanta. Our receiver corps is finally starting to look respectable, and if you combine that with a potent (atleast on paper) running game, then Matt Ryan may exceed Big Ben. People severely underestimate Ryan's talents here in Atlanta. He's a very smart quarterback with great fundamentals, who can read the blitz and really put a team on his b ack. Most importantly, Matt Ryan is a clutch player. He's the guy you want under C when the game is on the line. Most time when you have a good college QB, they're usually so good because they were surrounded with talent (see JaMarcus Russell or Matt Leinart). Matt Ryan had no good offensive player to make him look better than what he really is.

5 or 6 wins might just be what they get, but this is a team that could possibly win 9 if they get everything going.

Quote:

The oline will improve. We have an early 2nd round pick and a first rounder on the left side now. We have other capable guys and we have a real oline coach and not some BS college guy. The same on defense. Ray Hamilton is on of the best Dline coaches in the league,Chuck Smith is helping at OTA's.

Our safeties are NOT old. Lawyer Milloy is 34 but the rest are very young.Daren Stone is in his 2nd year,Jimmy Williams in his 3rd,Thomas DeCoud is a very talented rook and Erik Coleman is a young vet at 26 that has had success his first few years in the NFL. The Dline isn't full of 2nd stringers. Abraham and Anderson (he'll be alot better this year) are starters,Jonathan Babineaux looked great last year when Coleman was out,which was the whole season,he was once a 2nd round pick for a reason.and he showed why last year. Our new scheme doen't call for great man corners.We have 3 of the best CB's to come out of the SEC in the last 2 years,Brent Grimes is also very talented. We no longer have that garbage in the middle even though tthe garbage just moved outside to continue to suck. We have a REAL MLB in Lofton now,Brooking was a joke in the middle.

In the NFC South the last place team always wins the next year and we have upgraded greatly in coaching and at most positions.We'll do alot better than most may expect.

We won 4 games with a joke of a coaching staff and the Vick situation and a LOT of injuries to key spots.U have to be out of your mind to not think we'll win more than last year.

I actually think you are out of your mind. You realize you are saying that a second year player and a first year player will handle the left-side of the o-line without problem. You have no idea what o-line play is about if you think that will work out. Second, Blalock was killed last year in pass protection. He gives ground way too easily and doesn't slide side to side well. Baker, our rookie, is coming off a significant injury and is expected to cover the left side vs. the best pass-rushers in football. There will be growing pains.

The safety situation is horrible. Jimmy Williams, seriously, Jimmy Williams? This is a guy who came to the first camp overweight and two days late for a three day camp. You have got to be nuts to think he'll do anything for the team. He is already listed as #3 on the depth chart. The other safeties are cast-offs from other teams. Miloy is good in run support but has lost a significant step in deep coverage. With the cover 2, you have to have safeties that can get back on coverage.

For the corners, they are YOUNG. They will make mistakes esp in the first half of the year. With this team any mistakes in coverage will result in teams getting easy points. The offense can't get into a shootout every week. It just won't work.

You also have to admit that the QB situation is not good for this season. Ryan may prove all of the nay sayers (like me) wrong about his abilities. I hope he does. But it won't be this season.

So, 4-5 wins is my prediction. No way they win 9.

that's still all better than last year.How are the safties castoffs from other teams when only 2 came from other teams,the rest we drafted?Coaching helps alot with the lines and Blalock beeing in his 2nd year makes it even better and Baker doesn't have an injury anymore,that was awhile ago.and on Jimmy Williams he got over weight after he left the 2nd mini camp after one prectice.I'm pretty sure he'll be fine by training camp.U cannot tell me that the team is worse than last year and if u do you are out of your mind.The coaching staff alone upgrades the team.

Quote:

that's still all better than last year.How are the safties castoffs from other teams when only 2 came from other teams,the rest we drafted?Coaching helps alot with the lines and Blalock beeing in his 2nd year makes it even better and Baker doesn't have an injury anymore,that was awhile ago.and on Jimmy Williams he got over weight after he left the 2nd mini camp after one prectice.I'm pretty sure he'll be fine by training camp.U cannot tell me that the team is worse than last year and if u do you are out of your mind.The coaching staff alone upgrades the team.

Never said they were worse, they just aren't that much better. With as many rookies and non-NFL caliber starters that will be starting: e.g. whomever is the FS, Andersen, the DTs, the RT, the QB (Redman), and the TE, I don't see how this team can be expected to win 9 games that is just nuts. Second, a new coaching staff may make the team better, but that doesn't mean it has to translate into wins this season. The offense and defensive schemes will all be new. It will take the team at least half the season to get into the new schemes. Face it, the Falcons are at least a season away from being a competative team, and that is OK considering the turn-over.

they are already getting the system.On defense it's less reading and reacting and just playing.The seasin hasn't started yet so nobody knows how good they will be but it's crazy to not think we're light years better than last year.

Who said the Falcons are behind last year? That's pure hyperbole and is baiting.

So, what is your prediction about wins for next year? Put your money were your mouth is.

FYI, new systems in football, esp offensive ones, take more than one off-season to install. Add in that we have a starting qb who was out of football for several years and a rookie backup, and it is very easy to guess that the offense will not be good this year. The o-line also has to learn to play together and there is the experience problem.

Defensively, the Falcons did nothing to really upgrade the run D. The DTs are second stringers. Lofton may turn out to be a stud, but he's a rookie and will get pulled out of position a lot by opposing qbs. Then Boley has his distraction and Brooking is done.

Quote:

Who said the Falcons are behind last year? That's pure hyperbole and is baiting.

So, what is your prediction about wins for next year? Put your money were your mouth is.

FYI, new systems in football, esp offensive ones, take more than one off-season to install. Add in that we have a starting qb who was out of football for several years and a rookie backup, and it is very easy to guess that the offense will not be good this year. The o-line also has to learn to play together and there is the experience problem.

Defensively, the Falcons did nothing to really upgrade the run D. The DTs are second stringers. Lofton may turn out to be a stud, but he's a rookie and will get pulled out of position a lot by opposing qbs. Then Boley has his distraction and Brooking is done.

I would like to note that our defense wasn't all that bad last year. They were out on the field a lot more than your average defense, which made them look worse than what they really are. Players like Trey Lewis and Jamaal Anderson come in with another year under their belts. We've also added size and much better coaching on our defensive line, too.

The only reason I say 9 wins is possible is because the Falcons don't have an overwhelming schedule loaded with quality teams. On top of that, they play 6 games in the weakest division in the NFL. It is very much possible for the Falcons to get 6-9 wins this season.