• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Aquiring the Joshes

JTB

Can anyone explain how exactly the hawks are going to get back the joshes? I hear we cant release Claxton and I thought that was the only way we could get them back.Plus we dont have any money as of now, so how exactly will we get them back?

ATL talk to me.

*Keeping* the Joshes will be fairly easy with the money we have to work with. It's more so a matter of just how much will we have to dole out to them as opposed to will we be able to keep both. Most of Speedy's bad, bad contract is covered by insurance (something around 80% I have read), so it isn't hampering us too much. The real question will be how much money will we have left over to try to entice and seduce some veteran big men and shooters to help fill out our roster.

• Premium Member

I say it's a timing issue.

The Hawks are going to have to do some old school maneuvering. IF they want to keep the Joshes, this is my suggestion to how it should be done.

July 1, resign Josh Childress. Maybe a deal that starts at 6.5-7.0.

The reason you sign Childress first is because of his caphold. When you realize his caphold, you actually have more money to work with. Smoove's caphold is not that much in comparison. People who declare to just let Chillz walk, need to understand that until Chillz is signed and picked up by somebody, his caphold will hamstring us in the free agent market. It's smarter for Sund just to try to sign him first and then trade him later if he wants other players.

Resigning Chillz early as possible will also prevent the Hawks from being trapped by a frontloaded contract.

Sund should have players picked out to sign.

I wouldn't suggest that Sund doesn't goes crazy here, but I think he should go after 1 minor and 1 major one before resigning Smoove. For instance, I would say:

Shavlik Randolph 2 year 2 Million dollar deal. (minor)

David Padgett 2 year 1.6 Million dollar deal (minor)

James Posey 4 years 26 Million (Major) or Fred Jones 3 years 14 million.

Then sign Smoove on a matching offer

Signing Smoove will ultimately take us over the cap.

We'd have to pick up some of those other players out of camp.

Don't think there's really any maneuvering at all involved. It's more of a question about whether we'll be able to accomplish anything else this offseason. LIke TT said, we can sign them both but will we be able to address any needs? Right now, I'm thinking we won't be able to do anything until mid-season when Bibby's expiring contract looks really attractive.

Remember this, if you're not going forward, you're going backward. We can't afford to do nothing and count on stealing in to the last spot in the playoffs again. My big hope for change this offseason was crushed when Woodson was resigned. Eastern opponents like Miami, Milwaukee, and Chicago made big moves to upgrade their talent, as did Orlando and Indiana to lesser extents.

We didn't have the opportunity this year to grab an Al Horford, or even a Marvin Williams, to help the roster. All we can hope for is that the ownership is willing to dish out a MLE to either a James Jones type or maybe an reserve big man. We're in danger of losing our playoff spot.

Before I get slammed for sounding so negative, there's some hope that the team can improve without adding anyone because of the youth. Bibby might be less useless defensively if his health recovers, Horford should be getting a feel on the offensive end of the floor, and there should be some more home fans at the games after the playoff run to help improve on that impressive home record. There's some other wild cards, like Marvin increasing his range and ball handling, or Smith learning to shoot less, that could also drastically improve our situation. But they're going to have to be drastic changes just to keep up with the rest of the league considering how fortunate we were with team health last year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Don't think there's really any maneuvering at all involved. It's more of a question about whether we'll be able to accomplish anything else this offseason. LIke TT said, we can sign them both but will we be able to address any needs? Right now, I'm thinking we won't be able to do anything until mid-season when Bibby's expiring contract looks really attractive.

Remember this, if you're not going forward, you're going backward. We can't afford to do nothing and count on stealing in to the last spot in the playoffs again. My big hope for change this offseason was crushed when Woodson was resigned. Eastern opponents like Miami, Milwaukee, and Chicago made big moves to upgrade their talent, as did Orlando and Indiana to lesser extents.

We didn't have the opportunity this year to grab an Al Horford, or even a Marvin Williams, to help the roster. All we can hope for is that the ownership is willing to dish out a MLE to either a James Jones type or maybe an reserve big man. We're in danger of losing our playoff spot.

Before I get slammed for sounding so negative, there's some hope that the team can improve without adding anyone because of the youth. Bibby might be less useless defensively if his health recovers, Horford should be getting a feel on the offensive end of the floor, and there should be some more home fans at the games after the playoff run to help improve on that impressive home record. There's some other wild cards, like Marvin increasing his range and ball handling, or Smith learning to shoot less, that could also drastically improve our situation. But they're going to have to be drastic changes just to keep up with the rest of the league considering how fortunate we were with team health last year.

If we're not afraid to go over the cap, as i have stated, we can get one midlevel contract in. We have to sign Chillz first to get rid of his caphold. Then we can go after a guy like Posey or F Jones or KBrown. Before signing Smoove.

If the Hawks are not so afraid of the luxury tax or believe that can move Bibs by the deadline for an exemption.. then they can also use their MLE to get another midlevel contract.