• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could this lineup work?

Wurider05

They may break the record for points allowed. For all the talk about how bad Smoove on ball defense is Marvin would be worse then him. He is weaker than Smoove and isn't a threat to block shots. For all Smoove shortcomings he still defends the paint with intensity not many can match. There is no one to help Big Al if his man beats him down low.

Bibby starting PG + Marvin starting PF = Horrible Defense!

Quote:

They may break the record for points allowed. For all the talk about how bad Smoove on ball defense is Marvin would be worse then him. He is weaker than Smoove and isn't a threat to block shots. For all Smoove shortcomings he still defends the paint with intensity not many can match. There is no one to help Big Al if his man beats him down low.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote:

They may break the record for points allowed.
For all the talk about how bad Smoove on ball defense is Marvin would be worse then him
. He is weaker than Smoove and isn't a threat to block shots. For all Smoove shortcomings he still defends the paint with intensity not many can match. There is no one to help Big Al if his man beats him down low.

I can agree with you if you just mean the post, but Marvin is our second best perimeter defender behind Joe Johnson.

Quote:

Quote:

For all the talk about how bad Smoove on ball defense is Marvin would be worse then him
. He is weaker than Smoove and isn't a threat to block shots. For all Smoove shortcomings he still defends the paint with intensity not many can match. There is no one to help Big Al if his man beats him down low.

I can agree with you if you just mean the post, but Marvin is our second best perimeter defender behind Joe Johnson. no he's not.That's goes to Mario West or Acie Law.both of those guys can keep any guy in front of them.They may be better than Joe.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can agree with you if you just mean the post, but Marvin is our second best perimeter defender behind Joe Johnson. no he's not.That's goes to Mario West or Acie Law.both of those guys can keep any guy in front of them.They may be better than Joe.

I believe AC and Mario are both solid defenders, but they didn't have enough time on the court to show they could do it consistently. Mario was overaggressive and fouled a lot. AC just couldn't get on the court and stay on the court. I believe if Joe was the second option on a team, you'd get to see just how good his D is. Regardless, Marvin played better D than Mario or Law.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe AC and Mario are both solid defenders, but they didn't have enough time on the court to show they could do it consistently. Mario was overaggressive and fouled a lot. AC just couldn't get on the court and stay on the court. I believe if Joe was the second option on a team, you'd get to see just how good his D is. Regardless, Marvin played better D than Mario or Law. They always kept they guy in front of them.Marvin wasn't as consistent at that.He doesn't do anything else like block shots or get steals that would make one think he was better in other defensive aspects.So when it came to keeping his man in front of him out on the perimeter,West and Acie were better,it doesn't matter how much they played,if it was one thing they did all year consistently it was keep their man in front of them on defense.Not knocking Marvin's defense but he was not our 2nd best peremeter defender.

As said, they would break the record for points allowed, and there is no way in hell (even if it froze over) Marvin could play PF. Can you imagine him trying to guard KG, Michael Beasley, JO, etc.? LOL. He might piss his pants.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe AC and Mario are both solid defenders, but they didn't have enough time on the court to show they could do it consistently. Mario was overaggressive and fouled a lot. AC just couldn't get on the court and stay on the court. I believe if Joe was the second option on a team, you'd get to see just how good his D is. Regardless, Marvin played better D than Mario or Law. They always kept they guy in front of them.Marvin wasn't as consistent at that.He doesn't do anything else like block shots or get steals that would make one think he was better in other defensive aspects.So when it came to keeping his man in front of him out on the perimeter,West and Acie were better,it doesn't matter how much they played,if it was one thing they did all year consistently it was keep their man in front of them on defense.Not knocking Marvin's defense but he was not our 2nd best peremeter defender.

It does matter how much they played. It's also about when they played too, and who they were usually matched up on. A lot of nights Marvin would guard the other team's best player. Not to mention to play over 2,000 minutes and be a good defender means more than being a good defender who hasn't had enough minutes to really prove himself. He's no Battier or Bowen, but he is a a good defender and our team's second best perimeter defender. Besides if they were as good as advertised, they both would have played more minutes than they did.

For one, Smith is a pretty good defender man on. He certainly isn't elite and he still makes stupid mistakes but he usually holds his own and when he really locks in he can be awesome (like in crunch time of the Toronto game, we had Marv on Bosh and he was getting torched and then we switched Josh onto him and Smith tooled CB4 on both ends a few times).

Anyway, that team seems like it would be worse at every aspect of the game. No one on the inside can create their own shot, no shot blockers, we still don't have any shooters, and Chil is a worse defender than Marv who is a worse defender than Smith.

I'll reiterate, if Smith leaves with nothing coming back this way, we need to trade Chil for picks and try and grab and impact player or two in the draft next season because the drop in talent/potential is big.