• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Assume Smith is resigned, do we make the playoffs?

AtLaS

• Premium Member

Quote:

Law will have to be better; so does Marvin and both Joshes. JJ will need someone to ride shotgun with him in terms of scoring so he won't be worn out from having to play 43 minutes a night.

You guys kill me with this JJ carried the team for the entire season BS because he didn't. There were many games especially during the 1st half of the season where JJ was awful and was carried by other teammates! Sure JJ was all that and a bag of chips the last 20 games or so during the season but less not forget the rest of the season.

It was hard for JJ to carry the team whenever he was the only guy as a scoring threat. Every team doubled him and at times tripled him which led to his lower numbers. He opens up the floor for everyone else, so its easier for them.

I think that has to do with the fact that we acquired Bibby and he could stretch the floor. It opened up JJ a lot, that two man game they played was beautiful. Even if Bibby wasn't hitting his shots, the opposing team had to respect it and it really helped Joe's game.

Kobe and LBJ also played terrible when doubled constantly, their teammates couldn't take pressure off of them, so they couldn't make teams pay for doubling. This was JJ's problem because we can't shoot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

IKobe and LBJ also played terrible when doubled constantly, their teammates couldn't take pressure off of them, so they couldn't make teams pay for doubling. This was JJ's problem because we can't shoot.

Just re-watch the 1st half of the season and you'll see what I'm talking about. By the way, LBJ has never had anyone on his teams to take any pressure off of him. He constantly beats double and triple teams while averaging 30 ppg.

Quote:

Quote:

IKobe and LBJ also played terrible when doubled constantly, their teammates couldn't take pressure off of them, so they couldn't make teams pay for doubling. This was JJ's problem because we can't shoot.

Just re-watch the 1st half of the season and you'll see what I'm talking about. By the way, LBJ has never had anyone on his teams to take any pressure off of him. He constantly beats double and triple teams while averaging 30 ppg.

I know what happened. JJ's shots just weren't falling and he was getting tons of defenive attention as always. It's tough to play like that.

LeBron has shooters ALL over his team which is why it's much more risky to double him. During the season they made teams pay, against Boston they couldn't.

• Premium Member

Quote:

LeBron has shooters ALL over his team which is why it's much more risky to double him. During the season they made teams pay, against Boston they couldn't.

Lets see, the Cavs starters were Delonte West 41% from the field Devin brown 40% from the field, Ben Wallace 39 % from the field and Ilguaskus 47% from the field. What shooters are you referring to?

Quote:

You guys kill me with this JJ carried the team for the entire season BS because he didn't. There were many games especially during the 1st half of the season where JJ was awful and was carried by other teammates! Sure JJ was all that and a bag of chips the last 20 games or so during the season but less not forget the rest of the season.

There is some truth this and I was on him plenty. But I gotta say, those last 20 or so games and the playoffs have proven to me all I need to see about Joe Johnson. He is the real deal. Guys need to continue to improve around him. Or get him some help. Which is most likely his funk the 1st 45-50 games last season.

Quote:

Quote:

Lets see, the Cavs starters were Delonte West 41% from the field Devin brown 40% from the field, Ben Wallace 39 % from the field and Ilguaskus 47% from the field. What shooters are you referring to?

I don't know why you're looking at FG% when these guys take lots of long range shots. Wally, West, Gibson, Jones are very good 3pt shooters that spread the floor and make it tough to double team. Ilgauskus really stretches the D because he's a center and routinely steps out and makes 20 footers.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't know why you're looking at FG% when these guys take lots of long range shots. Wally, West, Gibson, Jones are very good 3pt shooters that spread the floor and make it tough to double team. Ilgauskus really stretches the D because he's a center and routinely steps out and makes 20 footers.

Lets look at it another way, LbJ's scoring average didn't change after Cleveland acquired Wally & west. Plus all of the guys you mention with the exception of gibson played les than 25 minutes per game.

Quote:

Quote:

LeBron is better than Joe.

If Smith is resigned and no other moves are made its really tough to tell.

Barring the unforseen (which can happen to any team), we will have a better record than last season. Bringing in Bibby changed the dynamic and there were a few "adjustment" games where we just didn't know what we were doing. Smith has improved annually and hopefully this contract thing gets resolved sooner rather than later so he can get down to it. Al will probably show a little more on offense and be a little more comfortable on D while still providing his excellent rebounding for a few more minutes a night. Acie, hopefully, will be a capable backup point guard this season and we won't have to see Chil defending TJ Ford ever again... and having Joe play well for a full season will certainly add a couple of wins.

Whether it is enough to make the playoffs is up in the air. If we can add another big, a shooter/defender on the wing, and a scoring combo-guard than yeah, I'm confident.

I think we squeak in. If any team drops it will be the Cavs. There is a reason they are called the LeBrons. Its Lebron and 11 statues.

Having Bibby for a year should help tremendously. With Acie and Chillz off the bench and hopefully a FA, and Horf in year 2, I have to think we will be better than the Cavs and possibly the Raps. Probably goes down like this:

1. Boston

2. Philly

3. Orlando

4. Detroit

5. The Washington Arenas

6. Hawks

7. Toronto

8. Miami

I think Miami takes a huuuge leap with healthy Wade, Marion, Beasley.

Quote:

I think we squeak in. If any team drops it will be the Cavs. There is a reason they are called the LeBrons. Its Lebron and 11 statues.

Having Bibby for a year should help tremendously. With Acie and Chillz off the bench and hopefully a FA, and Horf in year 2, I have to think we will be better than the Cavs and possibly the Raps. Probably goes down like this:

1. Boston

2. Philly

3. Orlando

4. Detroit

5. The Washington Arenas

6. Hawks

7. Toronto

8. Miami

I think Miami takes a huuuge leap with healthy Wade, Marion, Beasley.

You think the worse team in the league last year will make the playoffs before last year's defending EC champions ? I don't see it. Sure Miami added another scorer, but what about their D ? They have no big man, unless you want to count the oft-injured Mourning. They're going to drop 120 points every night and give up 140.