• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wisdom Teeth

Deeman

Has any of you gotten your wisdom teeth removed? I am 22 and I never had a problem with mine. My doctor wants me to remove mine because they are impacted. I have plenty of room in my mouth for my wisdom teeth, and I can brush them, and my guns are not vulnerable at all. I think they are trying to scam me. I am pretty sure some of yall still have your wisdom teeth and are fine right?

• Admin

I have had all 4 of mine removed actually. I didn't trust the dentist until I talked with my best friend growing up(who also happens to be a dentist). My friend told me that you should have them out because they will potentially cause problems later on down the road if they are not now. Its been about 4 years now and I am glad I did it.

Quote:

I have plenty of room in my mouth for my wisdom teeth, and I can brush them, and my
guns
are not vulnerable at all.

I don't have any advice for the teeth (i still have my wisdom teeth), but I will say that, for personal security reasons, I recommend that you continue to keep your firearms protected at all times.

=)

That really depends. I had one friend who was a drugged up mess on the couch for a few days afterwards, and it was about a week til he seemed totally back to normal.

I, on the other hand, was a little sore (and took some getting use to the stitches) but was going about my normal activities the next day with no swelling at all.

Realistically, you can probably expect something in the middle.

• Premium Member

I had three of mine removed when I was younger... Same reason impacted.

I just had the last one removed a few weeks ago. I had complications. Dry socket!!!!!! I totally blame my dentist but to be honest, nobody is to blame. It's one of the most painful things you can have at times. It felt like all of my teeth on the bottom row were about to fall out at the same time. It was just a coursing pain running back and fourth. No drugs could help. Although I did find a cure!!! Clove oil!

So here's a tip from your buddy D...

1. You have to get them removed if they are impacted.

2. You will feel great for the first two days. In fact, day 2, you will barely remember having them pulled.

3. DO NOT do anything to disturb clotting. No brushing, no application of Benzocaine... nothing. regardless of how good you feel.

4. IF you do have complications, get some clove oil.

Quote:

Has any of you gotten your wisdom teeth removed? I am 22 and I never had a problem with mine. My doctor wants me to remove mine because they are impacted. I have plenty of room in my mouth for my wisdom teeth, and I can brush them, and my guns are not vulnerable at all. I think they are trying to scam me. I am pretty sure some of yall still have your wisdom teeth and are fine right?

I'm 22, like you, and I got both of mine removed a few weeks ago. My teeth were perfectly fine, but a good dentist will ALWAYS tell you to get them out sooner rather than later. Mine weren't impacted or anything, but that does not mean they would not have been down the line. You never want to get to the point where you HAVE to get them out...follow the doc's advice and get them pulled.

As for what to expect? You WILL be sore for a few days. Complications such as dry sockets are rare, but they can happen. You will be put under anesthesia and will likely feel woozy for the next few hours. You also probably wont remember the next few hours after the operation is done. Oh yeah, expect a fair amount of bleeding as well. Not gushing or anything, but they will likely provide gauze or something for that. Make sure you dont go alone to the operation...it wont be safe for you to try to drive back home/to work/wherever. Also, make sure you dont eat anything late the night before...it will cause you to do nasty and unexpected (and sometimes fatal) things when the anesthesia is administered. Anyway, you should be able to resume normal work/school/home activities the very next day, but you will still be sore. So think again if you plan on eating anything solid or extremely hot or cold. Just make sure you eat plenty of pudding, applesauce, and soup for a few days. Yeah, you will get tired of it, but you wont be able to bare down on anything much harder.

I had no complications and my mouth was completely pain free about 5-7 days later. And yeah, dont try brushing back there either. Just play it safe and you will be fine.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm 22, like you, and I got both of mine removed a few weeks ago. My teeth were perfectly fine, but a good dentist will ALWAYS tell you to get them out sooner rather than later. Mine weren't impacted or anything, but that does not mean they would not have been down the line. You never want to get to the point where you HAVE to get them out...follow the doc's advice and get them pulled.

As for what to expect? You WILL be sore for a few days. Complications such as dry sockets are rare, but they can happen. You will be put under anesthesia and will likely feel woozy for the next few hours. You also probably wont remember the next few hours after the operation is done. Oh yeah, expect a fair amount of bleeding as well. Not gushing or anything, but they will likely provide gauze or something for that. Make sure you dont go alone to the operation...it wont be safe for you to try to drive back home/to work/wherever. Also, make sure you dont eat anything late the night before...it will cause you to do nasty and unexpected (and sometimes fatal) things when the anesthesia is administered. Anyway, you should be able to resume normal work/school/home activities the very next day, but you will still be sore. So think again if you plan on eating anything solid or extremely hot or cold. Just make sure you eat plenty of pudding, applesauce, and soup for a few days. Yeah, you will get tired of it, but you wont be able to bare down on anything much harder.

I had no complications and my mouth was completely pain free about 5-7 days later. And yeah, dont try brushing back there either. Just play it safe and you will be fine.

All of mine (3 separate rounds) I had removed with just a local anesthetic. It is quite an experience. It doesn't hurt after the first numbing... But Man is it strange to see the stuff they use. I'm sitting there thinking... Darn, we haven't gotten better tech than this? And the reason they prefer you to be knocked out is because Doc has to basically put his foot into your chest in order to yank it out.

I don't mean to be sexist here, but I just don't think a woman dentist can pull a Molar. She probably has to cut and drill.

Quote:

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed when I was 18. I remember staggering out of the office and then spending the first few hours at home trying to play video games while in a complete haze. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, so I was actually eating semi-solid food (advice be damned) that night. And despite the amount of blood that I was spitting out during the process, I managed to smoke a cigarette after I was able to stand myself up.

I didn't have any major swelling, and had pain meds if needed. I think the most important thing to do is keep the area clean to prevent dry socket.