• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A couple of years ago.

Diesel

Quote:

We were looking at Eddy Curry...

Were we the team that asked for a DNA test? or was it Chicago?

Chicago. Eddy Curry basically blew us off whenever he was down here to look at our team. It was obvious he was only "interested" in us because we had cap space and he could get leverage by coming here and acting like we were interested. I don't think BK would have offered him K-Mart type money, probably around the same deal he offered Dampier and Curry didn't want to be here.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

We were looking at Eddy Curry...

Were we the team that asked for a DNA test? or was it Chicago?

Chicago. Eddy Curry basically blew us off whenever he was down here to look at our team. It was obvious he was only "interested" in us because we had cap space and he could get leverage by coming here and acting like we were interested. I don't think BK would have offered him K-Mart type money, probably around the same deal he offered Dampier and Curry didn't want to be here.

I was thinking about that and it struck me as very intrusive. So I take it that DNA tests are not mandated for traded players? Why I ask is because a long time ago, there was a trade made: I think it was Sean Elliot to Detroit for whoever... The trade was canceled. The reason it was canceled was because they found that Elliot had a degenerative Kidney disease. I was wondering if teams can really screen for injuries and the like. If so, did we have the medical workup on Speedy?

I don't know exactly what is involved in a Physical for the NBA, but that is where Sean Elliot was found to have the Kidney problem. I know DNA testing is not part of the Physical partly because it is very intrusive along with other legal issues I am not familiar with.

So yes, teams can screen for injuries that you can find within a simple Physical. As for why we didn't see this for Speedy, I think its simply because BK is an arrogant moron. The genius told us (during that same offseason) that the reason why he wasn't looking at certain players in the draft was because they found "hot-spots" and other issues in a physical that related to foot and back problems. Then we drafted Shelden...I wonder what "hot-spots" showed up for Speedy? It all seemed very fishy to me at the time, probably the worst offseasons for BK.

The issue with Curry, I think, was that he had heart issues and everyone interested in him wanted to make sure he was OK. Curry could have said "no" to the tests of course.

RE: Claxton. That was just a goof. BK paniced and signed whom he could at the time. As Hawksfantic said, that was by far BK's worst offseason.