• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teixeira

mattlanta

We absolutely need to trade him. I'd like to see us ship him to Arizona for Jackson and Owings. Not sure if the DBags would do this straight up or not. We might have to throw in Reyes or Ohman. Tex just isnt clutch enough or hit for a high enough average to pay him 20 million/year. Or trade him for pitching prospects that are nasty.

This team has got to completely overhaul its pitching staff with the exception of Jurrjens.

Quote:

He absolutely needs to be moved. As does Ohman.

I'd hope to get an emerging OF or 1B, along with a pitching prospect for Teixeira.

Picking up an additional prospect for Ohman (whether he's packaged with Tex or dealt separately) would be ideal.

Earlier this month, there were trade rumors of Teixeira being dealt to Los Angeles (Angels) for Adenhart and Kotchman. I would of loved to see that happen, but now, we'd be lucky to get just one of them in return. I agree with you though. I'd like to see us trade Teix for an OF/1B and a young arm if possible.

First off. If we lose Tex in FA then we get 2 1st round draft picks. Not bad at all how MLB works this IF your the Braves right now..

So to trade Tex we would want minor leaguers BETTER then we could hope to draft with 2 first round picks. I don't think we can get much for him for reasons you probably already know:

1. He is a free agent at the end of the year. Whatever team gets him will have to compete with the Mets and Yankees (2 teams with money and aging 1st baseman).

2. His agent is Scott Boras. The most shrewd agent in the business. No way he takes anything but top dollar

Keep him unless we can land legit prospects. I will trust the Braves scouting to make those two 1st round draft picks count. Tex isn't worth the huge money he want anyways. He put up the numbers but he is not a difference maker. I would much rather use the money that would be used on Tex to go after CC.

By CARROLL ROGERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/27/08

It's decision time for the Braves, who have until Thursday at 4 p.m. to complete a deal to either add to their roster or build for the future by trading impending free agents Mark Teixeira, Will Ohman and Mark Kotsay.

The potential centerpiece of a deal is Teixeira, the 28-year-old first baseman who is in his prime. The Braves could use a major-league ready first baseman in return, one who makes economic sense. Here are some first basemen from contending teams who have been linked to the Braves during this trading season.

AP

(ENLARGE)

Boston's Kevin Youkilis and the Braves' Mark Teixeira are putting up similar stats this year: Teixeira is hitting .276, with 19 home runs and 74 RBIs, compared with Youkilis' 17 homers and 68 RBIs.

Your Turn

Which of these first basemen would you trade Mark Teixeira for?

Kevin Youkilis

Casey Kotchman

James Loney

Conor Jackson

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

Chipper, Hudson placed on disabled list

Braves' McCann has concussion after collision

Four Teixeira deal targets

• More Braves coverage

1. Kevin Youkilis, Red Sox

Salary: $3 million

Eligible for free agency: after the 2010 season

Stats: He is hitting .311 with 17 home runs and 68 RBIs. The 68 RBIs lead the Red Sox.

The skinny: Red Sox GM Theo Epstein and the Braves have denied it, and David Ortiz's return might negate the possibility, but reports surfaced that the Braves were interested in trading Teixeira to Boston for Kevin Youkilis and reliever Craig Hansen.

Youkilis and Teixeira are putting up similar stats this year: Teixeira is hitting .276, with 19 home runs and 74 RBIs, compared with Youkilis' 17 homers and 68 RBIs. He won the AL Gold Glove last year. Youkilis, in his fifth year with the Red Sox, is a Boston fan favorite. He was voted into the All-Star game as the AL starting first baseman.

2. Casey Kotchman, Angels

Salary: $1.45 million

Eligible for free agency: after the 2011 season

Stats: He is leading the Angels with a .288 batting average, has 10 homers and 50 RBIs.

The skinny: Former Angels GM Bill Stoneman made a run at Teixeira last season before the Braves beat him to the punch. Stoneman reportedly offered Kotchman and LHP Joe Saunders in a package for him. Now the Angels' GM is Tony Reagins, but they could be in the market for Teixeira again after averaging only 3.7 runs per game in May and June, worst in the AL. But they have averaged 5.9 runs in 18 games in July, and manager Mike Scioscia says they don't need to look outside the organization for hitters.

Kotchman led the Angels in homers in April with six but has hit only four since. His career high was 11 homers last year. His first full season in the majors was last year after missing much of 2006 due to mononucleosis.

3. James Loney, Dodgers

Salary: $411,000

Eligible for free agency: after the 2012 season

Stats: He is hitting .301 — the only Dodgers regular over .300 — and leading the team with 57 RBIs.

The skinny: The Dodgers are like the Diamondbacks in that they need some offense and have first basemen who would be a fit for the Braves. Loney is one of the Dodgers' long-prized prospects in the midst of his first full season in the majors. (He opened last season in AAA, blocked by Nomar Garciaparra.) Not projected to be much of a home run hitter, he came on to hit 15 homers in 96 games last year for the Dodgers. He has eight this season.

Loney opened this year with a 15-game hitting streak. He also had hits in 21 of 22 games in a stretch in June.

4. Conor Jackson, Diamondbacks

Salary: $419,500

Eligible for free agency: after 2011 season

Stats: Hitting .314 with 10 homers and 52 RBIs. His .314 average and .401 on-base percentage lead the Diamondbacks.

The skinny: Arizona made a late run at Teixeira last July, including Jackson in a potential package. He hit 15 homers in 2006 and 2007 for Arizona, while batting .291 and .284 respectively. He's a versatile player who is in left field now because Eric Byrnes is out for the season, and Chad Tracy, who missed eight weeks recovering from knee surgery, can play first.

Jackson hit .332 in the minors, where he was known more for his hitting than his defense. He was drafted as a third baseman out of Cal-Berkley but spent time in the outfield. Last year in Arizona he had the worst fielding percentage of any major league first baseman (.988) with a minimum of 100 games.

Article ended above:

Of this list I like the consistency and "safety" in getting Kevin Youkalis. He is a hard nosed competitor and consistent .300 hitter. He can work a pitcher better then any one. He is an ideal #2 or #5 hitter. His gold glove eqals out with Tex's gold glove defensively. Only 2 years different in age and not much of a production difference but a HUGE price difference.

I also like James Loney. He is not your average power hitting first baseman. Think former Braves first basman Gerald Perry (who one a batting tiltle) or a Mark Grace (also one a batting title) like 1st baseman. He is a younger, cheaper Youkalis like first baseman. Will hit 12-15 homers but hit .300 or higher for a long time with a good defense. Big time bargain until 2012 free agency.

I know nothing about Kothman.

Jackson's defense scares me.