• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who was our last good/great 3 pt shooter?

DrReality

BY FAR I'm sure. Mookie could get REALLY hot. He made 7 3's in a game EIGHT times. There was a 3-year period (94-96) where Mookie made more 3's than both JT and Smitty did in their 5-year Hawk's careers. He shot nearly 37% during that period too. Mookie was only a career 34% 3 pt shooter but unlike JT and Smitty, Mookie's best 3 pt shooting percentage was HERE. He should definitely be in the conversation.

You are right about Joe. Terry as well. Mookie was my favorite. He is 17th all time in NBA history in 3's made. He did have a shorter line to shoot from for a few years. So did the rest of the league, though.

Oh, Jon Barry was screwed over by the Hawks a few times but he was a career 39% shooter from distance. He shot 45% for Houston after the trade a few years ago.

Edited by TroyMcClure

JJ may be the best 3 pt shooter the franchise has EVER had. The problem is that he RARELY gets to take uncontested shots from ANYWHERE. His last year in Phoenix, he shot a RIDICULOUS 48% from the 3 pt line and he made 177 3's. Still, he shoots it here at a VERY good 38% clip and that will likely improve this year with Bibby here all season.

Before JJ, it had to be JT. JT is a career 39% 3 pt shooter to Smitty's 36% and he made more of them and shot a higher percentage than Smitty did as a Hawk (both played here for 5 years). Interesting that BOTH Smitty and JT shot a MUCH higher percentage from the 3 pt line once they left here. I guess that just goes to show how much harder it is to be the man than to be a complimentary piece.

I'm glad someone said it. Joe Johnson is more than a pretty good shooter. He's a great shooter, one of the best in the NBA. He's easily been the Hawks best shooter recently. Jason Terry would be second, and the odd thing is, those two would have been perfect compliments to one another. I'd rather have Jason Terry at point guard right now than Mike Bibby. Jason Terry is a better shooter and better all around ball player.

Tried to think of who that would be and drew a blank. Smitty? It's been a long time and such a talent adds a dimension that we just haven't had.

Wow this is actually a very good post. The Hawks haven't really have a great 3P shooter in decade. Steve Smith was good but nothing amazing. My pick would come down to Jason Terry or Steve Smith

Oh and of course this discussion doesn't include Bibby or Johnson. Because it would be tough not to give it to one of those guys.

Edited by frankthetank966

Tyrone Lue was a deadly accurate 3 point shooter. That was easy.

I wasn't Lue's biggest fan, but his 3pt shot was beautiful. But anyway, Joe is a great 3pt shooter. He made 177 of them his last year with PHX shooting 48%. Open or not, PHX or not, that shows his ability as a 3pt shooter.

Edited by High5

You are right about Joe. Terry as well. Mookie was my favorite. He is 17th all time in NBA history in 3's made. He did have a shorter line to shoot from for a few years. So did the rest of the league, though.

Oh, Jon Barry was screwed over by the Hawks a few times but he was a career 39% shooter from distance. He shot 45% for Houston after the trade a few years ago.

I did not know that about Mookie. Fond memories that were derailed.