• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Big Al Comparison

pound4pound

After watching the US play Argentina this weekend - I saw exactly the person Al Horford needs to pattern his game around - Luis Scola.

I hear so many comparisons to what Al will become; another Boozer, Bosh, or Brand - but he just isn't as fluid as those guys. He also can't jump over people like Amare and Howard. I think Al has a world more athleticism - but like Scola - is mechanical in the post. They both compensate for their size by grit and determination. Scola didn't back down from the US and put up 28 and 11.

I look for a much improved Al Horford next year coming off of an exceptional rookie campaign. If he can be like Scola to channel that fire and play within his physical limitations - he could become the low post presence we need to take the next step.

Al did a great job for us last year - no doubt about it. But anyone who watched the Hawks at all would acknowledge that the majority of his points were hustle buckets. Rarely would Al successfully back his guy down - one on one - and get a contested bucket. Almost everyone of Scola's points agianst the US were with a hand in his face.

I am not hating on Al - I love Al - and want him to be a threat down low. Taking a guy like Scola and using his game to pattern Al's around will get him there. Who would be a better Al comparison?

Luis has a more advanced offensive game. He may be a bit mechanical but he has his moves down pat.

Al is stronger and more explosive than Scola but its hard to translate that into points unless you have a lot of skill or are getting to work off the ball some. Unfortunately we run too many iso style plays for Smith and Al so they can't use their athleticism in our halfcourt offense.

I've never seen Al compared to Bosh or Howard, both are unique athletes. The Amare comparisons come from when we almost Al's pick for Amare. I was glad we didn't, thinking Al could be a cheaper alternative to Amare and I still feel that way. For sure even after knee surgery, Amare is much more fluid and athletic.

However, I do think the proper Al comparison are to Boozer, Brand, and moreso a young Karl Malone if he didn't have Stockton. All are similar sized and skilled to me, it's just a matter of how much Al improves. My dream would be to hear about Al working with Karl one of these offseasons.

I've never seen Al compared to Bosh or Howard, both are unique athletes. The Amare comparisons come from when we almost Al's pick for Amare. I was glad we didn't, thinking Al could be a cheaper alternative to Amare and I still feel that way. For sure even after knee surgery, Amare is much more fluid and athletic.

However, I do think the proper Al comparison are to Boozer, Brand, and moreso a young Karl Malone if he didn't have Stockton. All are similar sized and skilled to me, it's just a matter of how much Al improves. My dream would be to hear about Al working with Karl one of these offseasons.

I don't think AL is nearly as offensively skilled as any of the guys you mentioned. I think Al at the top of his game will be a 15/12 type of player who plays solid defense. He reminds me physically of a young Dale Davis.

The next year or two will tell the story. I felt Al was just deferring to teammates his rookie year. For sure Karl Malone is a stretch and probably Boozer or Brand but we'll see. Charles Barkley sure seems to be impressed with Al as are other scouts. Doubt they'd be that impressed if Al is just gonna be another Dale or Antonio Davis, which by no means were bad players, but not allstars like many think Al will be.

The next year or two will tell the story. I felt Al was just deferring to teammates his rookie year. For sure Karl Malone is a stretch and probably Boozer or Brand but we'll see. Charles Barkley sure seems to be impressed with Al as are other scouts. Doubt they'd be that impressed if Al is just gonna be another Dale or Antonio Davis, which by no means were bad players, but not allstars like many think Al will be.

It certainly isn't a stretch to think that Al will be an All-Star at some point in his career but its hard to tell how good a player will turn out based on his rookie year, generally people tend to be overly optimistic which is why you see Al compared to All-Stars with higher skill levels (not to mention HOFers).

I remember when the Mavs beat the Spurs a couple years back, I heard people claiming that Harris was going to be one of the top couple of point guards in the next few years because he had such athleticism, committment to defense, and was being held back by the Mavs system. A couple years later, he's good but he's no star.

Al had a very good rookie year but, as I've mentioned before, its more on par with very good players who may make the ASG a couple times than it is with most superstars.

I try not to read into things that commentators/former players say because most if it is stupid and can be contradicted by other things they've said.

It certainly isn't a stretch to think that Al will be an All-Star at some point in his career but its hard to tell how good a player will turn out based on his rookie year, generally people tend to be overly optimistic which is why you see Al compared to All-Stars with higher skill levels (not to mention HOFers).

I remember when the Mavs beat the Spurs a couple years back, I heard people claiming that Harris was going to be one of the top couple of point guards in the next few years because he had such athleticism, committment to defense, and was being held back by the Mavs system. A couple years later, he's good but he's no star.

Al had a very good rookie year but, as I've mentioned before, its more on par with very good players who may make the ASG a couple times than it is with most superstars.

I try not to read into things that commentators/former players say because most if it is stupid and can be contradicted by other things they've said.

Al has good hands, shoots well with both. Has good footwork but should be able to improve it. He may pull 15 rebounds a game on day. He should seek Hakeem and have sessions. Olajuwan played at his same height.

That comparison (blasphemy I know) could be Hakeem Olajuwan.

I actually think Devin Harris might make the All Star team this year. He's got tough competition, but he's talented enough. It mainly depends on how well Brook Lopez and Yi Jianlian perform this year.