• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Call the neighbor

DrReality

Woody talks about using his bench. It must be a dream?

Hawks clicking with good team chemistry

Players eager to test improved rapport by playing other teams

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, October 03, 2008

Familiarity with one another has created a comfort zone for the Hawks’ starting unit that hasn’t been evident in recent seasons.

And if you think chemistry, or the lack thereof, and all those other team-building catchphrases are just camouflage for struggling franchises, Hawks center Al Horford suggests you think again.

Horford insists the key to back-to-back championship seasons he helped engineer at Florida were based in some cosmic team chemistry that proved unflappable on the biggest stage.

“When you’re able to bring your whole starting five back after a successful year and then have a couple of other guys that really improve from one year to the next, there’s just no substitute,” Horford said. “That’s why we’re so ready to get in the mix against other teams, to see if what we’re seeing now translates.”

The Hawks don’t begin their exhibition schedule until Monday, with a game in Orlando against the Magic.

In the meantime, they’ve been running their own tests in the lab that is the practice court at Philips Arena.

Friday’s scrimmage session was much like the one they conducted Thursday, with the first team of Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby dominating the action, for the most part, and doing it with the ease that might be expected from a seasoned group led by a veteran backcourt.

“Everybody knows what everybody else likes to do out there,” Smith said. “We only had Bibby for a half a season, so the playoff series against Boston helped us that much more because we were able to get more time on the floor with him. And the real difference is just how unselfish the first five has been. I can tell you that it hasn’t always been that way around here.

“But it can be a contagious thing when you see the first unit share the ball the way we do and help each other out on the other end of the floor.”

Being comfortable with each other, on and off the floor, is one benefit the Hawks will have this season that the pundits — the fine folks from ESPN.com have predicted the Hawks to finish 13th in the Eastern Conference — might not have factored into their predictions.

ESPN.com went so far as to suggest the Hawks have arguably the best first unit in the Southeast Division but by far the worst bench unit, a claim Hawks coach Mike Woodson vehemently disagrees with.

“We’re actually deeper,” Woodson said. “When you look at Zaza [Pachulia], Acie [Law IV], Solomon [Jones] and a healthy Speedy with Flip Murray and Mo Evans, you have veteran guys now that can help you where you don’t lose much of anything when you starting making substitutions. But there’s no doubt I feel confident about what we have in the first group.”

Even under constant assault from Jones on Friday and a surprise rush from the third group, led by Mario West and rookies Frank Robinson and Othello Hunter, the starters were able to hold off all challenges.

“One of thing the things we have to do is make sure our starters don’t get too comfortable,” Jones said. “We’ve got to find ways to push them so they’re ready for whatever comes their way against other teams. But right now, they’re making it look a little too easy against us.”

Woodson, though, is pleased with the fever pitch during the workouts thus far.

“I thought our [third] team played like a unit, like a group of guys trying to make a statement,” Woodson said. “And I’ve always liked that. They pushed the tempo today and camps are always about competing. Guys have to be competitive and somebody is going to get embarrassed if you don’t. But even with all that energy and effort our first team was able to hold it down, and that says a lot about where we are right now.

“That doesn’t mean we can ease up and just lean on knowing that those guys are playing well together. But you’d rather have that good chemistry with your starting unit than still be searching for that feeling.”

Woody utilizing the bench? I will believe that when I see it.

I am excited about what our bench can do this year. Having a healthy Speedy may pay handsome dividends if he can return to near form. I just hope guys like Acie will play well consistently, and if he does, I hope Woodson will give him a chance...

HAWKS: Familiarity breeds confidence among first-teamers

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Familiarity with one another has created a comfort zone for the Hawks’ starting unit that hasn’t been evident in recent seasons.

And if you think chemistry, or the lack thereof, and all those other team-building catch phrases are just camouflage for struggling franchises, Hawks center Al Horford suggests you think again.

Horford insists the key to back-to-back championship seasons he helped engineer at Florida were based in some cosmic team chemistry that proved unflappable on the biggest stage.

“When you’re able to bring your whole starting five back after a successful year and then have a couple of other guys that really improve from one year to the next, there’s just no substitute,” Horford said.

“That’s why were so ready to get in the mix against other teams, to see if what we’re seeing now translates.”

The Hawks don’t begin their exhibition schedule until Monday with a game in Orlando against the Magic.

In the meantime, they’ve been running their own tests in the lab that is the practice court at Philips Arena.

Friday’s scrimmage session was much like the one they conducted Thursday, with the first team of Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby dominating the action, for the most part.

And they were doing it with the ease that might be expected from a seasoned group led by a veteran backcourt.

“Everybody knows what everybody else likes to do out there,” Smith said. “We only had Bibby for a half a season, so the playoff series against Boston helped us that much more because we were able to get more time on the floor with him. And the real difference is just how unselfish the first five has been. I can tell you that it hasn’t always been that way around here.

“But it can be a contagious thing when you see the first unit share the ball the way we do and help each other out on the other end of the floor.”

Being comfortable with each other, on and off the floor, is one benefit the Hawks will have this season that the pundits —- the fine folks from ESPN.com have predicted the Hawks to finish 13th in the Eastern Conference —- might not have factored into their predictions.

ESPN.com went so far as to suggest the Hawks have arguably the best first unit in the Southeast Division but by far the worst bench unit, a claim Hawks coach Mike Woodson vehemently disagrees with.

“We’re actually deeper,” Woodson said. “When you look at Zaza [Pachulia], Acie [Law IV], Solomon [Jones] and a healthy Speedy [Claxton] with Flip Murray and Mo Evans, you have veteran guys now that can help you where you don’t lose much of anything when you starting making substitutions. But there’s no doubt I feel confident about what we have in the first group.”

Even under constant assault from Jones on Friday and a surprise rush from the third group, led by Mario West and rookies Frank Robinson and Othello Hunter, the starters were able to hold off all challenges.

Woodson, however, is pleased with the fever pitch during the workouts thus far.

“I thought our [third] team played like a unit, like a group of guys trying to make a statement,” Woodson said.

“And I’ve always liked that. They pushed the tempo today, and camps are always about competing. Guys have to be competitive and somebody is going to get embarrassed if you don’t. But even with all that energy and effort, our first team was able to hold it down, and that says a lot about where we are right now.”

KEY DATES FOR HAWKS

>Monday: Exhibition opener at Magic, 7 p.m.

> Oct. 13: Exhibition home opener vs. Bobcats, 7 p.m.

> Oct. 29: Regular-season opener at Magic, 7 p.m.

> Nov. 1: Regular-season home opener vs. 76ers, 7 p.m.

Edited by DrReality

Woody utilizing the bench? I will believe that when I see it.

I am excited about what our bench can do this year. Having a healthy Speedy may pay handsome dividends if he can return to near form. I just hope guys like Acie will play well consistently, and if he does, I hope Woodson will give him a chance...

I agree. Woodson hasn't shown me anything to make me have any confidence in him. When I see it I'll believe.